Skidplates

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if there are any people who wear through their skidplates regularly. I go through 3-4 a year, but I know blokes who can blow them out in 3-4 sessions.

At $20 a pop they aint cheap to replace, which is why I use layers of cheap insulation tape to repair them. ;)

Lightweight coils are great, but a few extra grams on some tougher plastic wouldnt go astray.

I've had the same skidplate on my 5x8 DD for the past 8-9 months and its still going strong, though I'm mostly detecting grassy, sandy environments with the occasional creek bed thrown in.

What type and size coil are you using? And are you using any specific brand of skidplate?

Cheers,
Nugget

I've never wore through a skid plate and I've been detecting for a few years now. But I'm in the same situation as Nugget, mainly used on parks, beach etc. I did loose one on Nobbys beach Newcastle when it was ripped off by the current around the rocks. Did anyone find it! Would love to get it back

One of the lads from Victoria that was staying up here with us found a skidplate while out at a fossicking area here. Whoever lost it had covered it with Fibreglass ? or something else similar and it appeared to be very hardwearing. Thought it was a good idea as i go through skidplates like nothing here, gone through 2 11'' ones already this year! Will have to try it out methinks
Regards Bill :cool:

Are you guys wearing them out as in scrubbing holes through them or are they cracking?

Mine wear out around the rim mainly , the ground up here is pretty stony and harsh, i have stopped scraping the ground now as i have started to use bigger coils these days in the hope of getting bigger nuggets ! But the 11" ones have been cracking right around the rim so i end up with half the base flapping as it seems to wear evenly !

I'm thinking that a skidplate made of a dense rubber could solve this problem, do these even exist? If not I copyright (patent pending) that idea :lol:

Thats what i like to see, your entreprenurial talents coming to the fore Matt !

Maybe a couple of coats of gel coat on the bottom. just refresh it every few trips. Not sure if it would help or if it would interfere with the detector, but I wouldn't think so.

Mystyk59 said:
Thats what i like to see, your entreprenurial talents coming to the fore Matt !
My brain's always ticking away thinking about the next big thing, I just can't seem to turn the dam thing off :lol:

Dogmatic said:
Maybe a couple of coats of gel coat on the bottom. just refresh it every few trips. Not sure if it would help or if it would interfere with the detector, but I wouldn't think so.
Careful now, you don't want to go infringing my pending patent :cool:

Coil covers/skid plates are easy to make.

Have made many types and shapes over the years......thick or thin....soft or hard PVC...rubber, plasti dip, spray on, spiral wrap and two part epoxy are all usable, Rhino Liner is some of the toughest..........but all have a use by date, some longer than others.

ivanll

G'day ivanll,

Wouldn't mind seeing an example of your constructing methods and the process you find best to achieve them, ;)

Cheers Wal, :)

WalnLiz said:
G'day ivanll,

Wouldn't mind seeing an example of your constructing methods and the process you find best to achieve them, ;)

No trouble.

Thanks mate, been thinking of making some cover plates myself, but been a bit concerned at how to get a good fit, especially with the spoked elipticals. Would appreciate your personal experience.

What about that red liquid rubber they use for tools and such. Just dip the item in a few coats and let it set

Found it!
Its called Plastidip and is used for tool handles and such. I comes in a few colours.
Would be interesting to do a trial on our coils

kleinman98 said:
Found it!
Its called Plastidip and is used for tool handles and such. I comes in a few colours.
Would be interesting to do a trial on our coils

its quite grippy and soft

coil covers really need something hard wearing and slippery so it slides easily over rocks

i found that if you take a large bit of PVC pipe like 6 inch diameter for example as used for stormwater , slit down one side and heat it u with a hot air gun until its floppy it can be reformed by dropping it onto a flat surface , and put something flat on top until it cools.

It will stay flat and become rigid again.

reheat it again and drop it on to a mold the right shape , than fold a little flap over so it will grip your coil and there you have a hard wearing coil cover

warning . use gloves

you can do it in the oven as well on low heat , but put it on baking paper so it wont stick to your best oven tray

Latest posts