Should these 2 guys be allowed to carry on Prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldagettin said:
it was bandicootes I tell yuh...... :)

Just because they dont show the holes being filled dosn't mean that they didnt fill them in. Because they weren't using a tarp some dirt will be evident afterwards I know, but Iv,e seen dozens of people do that, in fact almost all of them.
Im pretty sure they fill the holes back in, but I don't think they have a brush and pan to brush away all the soil they have put onto the grass lol.. I wasn't perfect when I dug my first holes and I know how messy it looks when you put soil onto the grass, but these dudes have been doing this a while and searched many parks...

Goldagettin said:
Danmuss said:
silver said:
apart from their digging skills,.....they're on the money !
We need to get them onto this forum so we can guide them properly (next gen diggers )

I agree they have passion just no skills.. They have actually already been kicked off another forum, Not sure why tho..
I've tried telling them to use better digging skills and explained better ways but they just PM me a abusive message lol.. So clearly they don't take the hint..

I dont suppose a whitch hunt thread was started at the other forum just before they were kicked off.... and you were subsequently abused... buy any chance?

Ive no idea why they got kicked off the other forum.. it was mentioned in a post that they had been..

These kid's worry me. As someone just starting out in detecting (in the process of buying my first detector), it concerns me that councils will prevent people from detecting in public areas such as parks because of the negative impact of a small few.

daruthe said:
These kid's worry me. As someone just starting out in detecting (in the process of buying my first detector), it concerns me that councils will prevent people from detecting in public areas such as parks because of the negative impact of a small few.
I know mate.. As your a newbie learn how to plug your holes or watch some of the guys on youtube on how to dig a hole, theres many ways to do it and I always sit a towel at the side and put the soil on that, its easier to get all the soil back the hole without leaving any on the grass. :D .

Trust me mate it only gets more exciting the more you learn and find :cool:

daruthe said:

This will happen. Its already happening in the US
And generally we are 10 years behind.

What the worry is why are these guys detecting
At night? Thats the big question.

Unless your at a park that was established in
The late 1800's and the ground has not changed its
Really the only time you find a heap of Old coins
If you happen to get there first.

As an eager twenty something 20 or so years ago i decided
To hit such a park somewhere in vic.

My my as soon as i arrived after travelling for a bit and got
My detector out one local across the road came out with
Police threats and what not and being in a small town
Hopped back into my car and came back to Melbourne.

Coin shooting is not a simple hobby to perform anymore.

Cheap detectors are being made available to everyone which
Increases the chance of tot lots being detected more often.
You need to find a site then you need to deal with the odd
Person who does not like what you are doing and it happens
Once in a while. The other thing is there are not many areas
Where you can find lots of coins and if you do its not like
A 1 gram nugget where its worth say $45.

It is fun though and for current currency If you hit 10
playgrounds you can be be more than $20 Better off
And if your lucky you could find a gold wedding band :)

I have detected a few areas people would not think about
And i know how once a year you can pull out about $300 in
Coins but you need to be careful you don't get caught which
I won't get into.

One issue coin hunters face is if the soil is dead dry the grass
On the surface will break apart as soon as you start cutting
Out your plug.

Yeah, I saw a video posted by someone a few days ago of the right way to do it - using the screwdriver, probe and cloth - that's how I intend on doing it. And now just because it's a good way of doing it, but I'm also rather eco-minded too.

daruthe said:
Yeah, I saw a video posted by someone a few days ago of the right way to do it - using the screwdriver, probe and cloth - that's how I intend on doing it. And now just because it's a good way of doing it, but I'm also rather eco-minded too.

This is how we all start until you scratch your coin.

If your going to retrieve your coin this way a suggestion
Is to use a Vibraprobe 540 pin pointer which is not as
sensitive As some others so you will be closer to the target.

The issue here is the dried grass and soil which ends up
Breaking apart as you cut out your plug.

Simple answer is don't cut plugs, I have not cut 1 plug yet, I only ever need a screwdriver to pop a target, if it's out of pinpointer depth and on a nice grass area don't dig it. Nothing wrong with the minelab pinpointer, works very well.

I don't care who sees me detecting a park, there won't be a problem because you can't tell where I've removed a target from.

Night time is good if it's too hot in the day time, city folk are nice, beach is quiet(watch the crocs and obnoxious druggies), and I'm sure these young fellas only post their best hunts(they don't want to look lame(they are young after all)) and after all said and done in this life it's a case of who dares wins(we are only taking memories to the long sleep afterwards(and we probably don't have them there)(just that stygian darkness that has nothing and lasts forever)(so who gives a crapp what they do really, it's their life and their business, and they're the ones living it.)Grass grows back and the worms shift the dirt around, gravity brings it all back into line over time, and eventually that jealousy will subside into an oh well feeling of "They beat me to it, soooo what !!!". Anyhow have a good morning people and pull in those finds(wont be surprised if we see those young fellas using a backhoe in one of their vids as they get older and more ambitious).
Danmuss said:
TenOunce Tone said:
All uou voin sjooters out there tell me this. Are the number of pre decs they are pulling normal finds? I would not be surprised if they are on national trust or or other protected property. The finds are to high quantity for my liking. I notice they are mainly working at night or late arvo...

Cheers Tone

Im not sure mate if that's normal finding of so many decs, I only started this year and found mostly coins about 30yrs old to date, found only a few old coins from early 1900's and late 1800's but nothing to what those guys are finding..

I do believe these guys are searching National parks and private property due to watching there video's and I do recognise some places, that's why they mainly search at nights!

To be honest if they didn't make such a mess I wouldn't be starting this post, but as you can see by there holes, they are leaving evidence behind that Prospectors have been there which is not good!!

Yeh Wolfau made some good points... when ppl walk by and see you, they look at you as if you have C4 ready to blow some holes, other times u will get ppl come up and ask what cool stuff have u found.. I tend to hide up around trees, keep out of sight :cool:

these guys been at it before and i personally have seen the damage that has been done.
they have been told many times and shown links about how to do nice plug and fix it up..

these locations they go to like in those last two videos where they been to church and old place that you would def not get permission to do and most prob protected hence the night time trip.
i have lost interest to do some area's cause of these guys.

its understandable if your learning and all but its been more then year to learn how to do it the right way.
also they are known to fake some finds and use previous finds or collection coin to make it more interesting.

not to mention the Holley dollar dump they posted to minelab to get an award.. minelab has kindly pulled that article down when they relized its from bit of photoshopping.

Latest posts