Sharpening Chainsaws

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recommendedsize filesare:

3/8LP and . 325 pitchchainsis a 5/32 (4mm)chainsaw chain file.

3/8 pitchchainis a 3/16 (4.8mm)chainsaw chain file.

404 pitchchainis a 7/32 (5.5mm)chainsaw chain file.

That's the standard and probably what you should use , stihl files are worth their money , nothing wrong with Oregon either.

The chain size should be stamped into the bar , along with the number of drive links.

aussiefarmer said:
The recommendedsize filesare:

3/8LP and . 325 pitchchainsis a 5/32 (4mm)chainsaw chain file.

3/8 pitchchainis a 3/16 (4.8mm)chainsaw chain file.

404 pitchchainis a 7/32 (5.5mm)chainsaw chain file.

That's the standard and probably what you should use , stihl files are worth their money , nothing wrong with Oregon either.

The chain size should be stamped into the bar , along with the number of drive links.
Jesus mate, never would have thought the chain of a saw would be like riffle configuration of a sluice lol.
From what everyone has said it has to be spot on for best results lol
Need daylight to find chain size.
Shoulda coulda wouda bought a stiyl but let's see if I can get this cheapo to cut :cool:

You said it only cuts to the depth of the blade. Does it cut straight down, or at an angle, which will jam the bar. If it's cutting at an angle it means one side of the chains teeth are longer than the other side. measure the tops of the teeth, and you may find one side is longer than the other .they both have to be the same. my lazy way to fix this is. If its cutting at an angle to the left, I just sharpen the right side and not the left for a few times until it cuts straight again. then sharpen both sides as normal. wiley.

I don't understand the shape of the raker tooth, why isn't it hooked forward like the cutter teeth, is that coz it grabbes to much?

Only purpose is to control the depth of cut the teeth make, it's not there to cut. All they do. If you didn't have the rakers there would be no control on how much the chisel teeth will grab. So every six or seven sharpen you would take the top off the rakers with a flat file to give the cutters more bite.
Remove to much you will end up with a very grabby saw, prone to kick back and cause premature chain stretch.

Found a picture finally to show it, just think the flat top of the tooth is a wood chisel.

1622465790_images.jpeg-233.jpg

Hmm, I just posted a reply and it disappeared, I'll try again..

There is a guy on youtube called Steve's engine saloon. He covers all sorts of stuff on chainsaws, whipper snippers, mowers etc. He keeps the explanations pretty simple without too much fluff. I was watching his video last night on how to tighten a chainsaw chain, it was good.

Here is a video on sharpening a chainsaw chain. I haven't seen this one, but I bet it will cover what you are after. [video=480,360]https://youtu.be/-GIxowey6IQ[/video]

G'day

For the most part I found that video to be informative, it was a basic explanation of how to do this for yourself at home, a repair shop would never have the time to sharpen chains by hand as often you have people like wood cutters that drop off many chains at the same time, its quicker when they are out cutting fire wood for these guys to fit another chain rather than stop to sharpen one, also keep in mind a lot of the American woods that you see them cutting are soft woods like pine, they don't have jarrah, and tuart,etc. and some of the other super hard woods that we get here, and also I have had chains to sharpen from Alaskan mills that are used for cutting slabs of wood, these can run 6+ foot bars so you can imagine how many cutting teeth are in a six foot chain, simply not viable to do it by hand, and the guys that use these things are super critical about the way the chain is sharpened as well so they are machine sharpened and it is very important to have the angle and pitch correct as per the chain manufacturers specifications for optimum performance.

On the point of angles and pitch of the chain, he says that it is not important what angle the tooth is sharpened on as long as they are all the same, that is not really correct as there are several types of chain types and for them to perform correctly they need to be on the correct angle and pitch, chains are designed to be better suited for cutting either soft or hard woods or dry and wet woods, professional type saws are sold with higher performance chains like the semi chisel and full chisel chains they perform better with the cutting tooth angle like 25 deg and 10 deg pitch, or 30 deg and 90 deg pitch for instance where your chains for domestic saw users are more often 35 deg and 90 deg pitch are are more likely to recommended, there are too many types of chain to explain here but suffice to say its important if you want performance and longevity its always best practice to follow the manufactures recommendations when sharpening them.

It is extremely important to have the teeth on both sides the same length, to make the saw cut straight and so as to not cause premature bar wear, if you cant achieve this by hand and the chain still has some life left in it then you are better to take it in to a shop and have it machine sharpened, that will correct all the angles and lengths of the cutters and will give you some further use out of the chain, for the occasional user of a saw around the yard or the odd trailer of fire wood if you are not interested in doing it your self then just take it into a shop and have them do it.

On the subject of rakers, he says that he does not use a raker file gauge, while for the experienced chain saw user that is well and good, but as I have seen for myself its far too easy for people to be tempted to take too many strokes of the file and take them down too far, sometimes more is not going to be better, the raker gauge wont allow you to take off more than is necessary its a boofhead proof type of tool so I would be saying use it if you have it.

cheers

stayyerAU

Ok, Ive done what everyone has said including filing the raker teeth.
Now it cuts in ok but still struggles to go deeper than 2 inches.
Watching it very carefully I noticed that the chain is leaning to one side and cuts on an angle no matter how straight I start.
Bar is worn on one side obviously?
It uses 1 tank of bar lube per tank of fuel?
Last test was Ironbark, wood before that was redgum. Dead wood (not green)

Sounds like the Chineee chainsaw bar is as soft as butter and has a worn gullet(chain groove ) and or the drive teeth on the chain are worn. or even the wrong gauge for the bar. Time to turn the bar over or chuck it or at least have it dressed by a saw shop. There are a few tricks you could try but without looking at it, its hard to say if its redeemable. The bar lube to fuel ratio is about right.
Iron bark will test any saw chain almost as hard as grey box. :(

20xwater said:
Watching it very carefully I noticed that the chain is leaning to one side and cuts on an angle no matter how straight I start.

When you say "....but still struggles to go deeper than 2 inches", do you mean:

A.the chain continues rotating as usual but stops cutting, or

B. the chainsaw begins to labor and fails to provide sufficient power to enable the chain to cut?

Geehi said:
20xwater said:

When you say "....but still struggles to go deeper than 2 inches", do you mean:

A.the chain continues rotating as usual but stops cutting, or

B. the chainsaw begins to labor and fails to provide sufficient power to enable the chain to cut?
Power is fine, letting the weight of the saw to cut does nothing, it just spins and does nothing but get hot.
Flogging a dead horse?

aussiefarmer said:
Get a new chain if that don't work get a new bar at worst $150 so 1 ton of wood
Whole saw was 200, a bloke camped near by is kicking a55 with an ALDI saw, X bull is a piece of 5hit!!!!

Bar is toast. I have a small collection here of older saws that the oilers have failed on. These were all old abused saws.

jethro said:
Bar is toast. I have a small collection here of older saws that the oilers have failed on. These were all old abused saws.
This saw has cut about 1 tonne before turning to shit I got what I paid for.
1 litre of lube is $13 at Super cheap, might as well buy wood!
PS mate, results of a 4 year gully experiment coming soon!

20xwater said:
jethro said:
This saw has cut about 1 tonne before turning to shite I got what I paid for.
What brand of Bar lube are you using, I like the Husquavana stuff, Nice and sticky, I once tried another well known brand beginning with C, worse than using old sump oil, bar went blue and started to cut round corners in about 1 load of wood, Helped along by an operator who insisted on running the saw on the rev limiter and not using the dogs to assist in loading the chain up. Apparently this is how the CFA teach them to operate saws at there Chainsaw operators Course. :argh:
Whats the 4 yr gully experiment?

Hijacking the thread for a question. Is it normal that a chainsaw leaks bar oil when you leave it sitting for a period of time?

If so, any tricks to stop it?

jethro said:
20xwater said:
jethro said:
This saw has cut about 1 tonne before turning to shite I got what I paid for.
What brand of Bar lube are you using, I like the Husquavana stuff, Nice and sticky, I once tried another well known brand beginning with C, worse than using old sump oil, bar went blue and started to cut round corners in about 1 load of wood, Helped along by an operator who insisted on running the saw on the rev limiter and not using the dogs to assist in loading the chain up. Apparently this is how the CFA teach them to operate saws at there Chainsaw operators Course. :argh:
Whats the 4 yr gully experiment?
I built a log jam!

Latest posts