Questionable Sensitivity of old NF coil on 3000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Odd question and situation :)
Despite owning a 6000 and a 7000, I have been playing around with the old 3000....Looking for something not quite as sensitive to small small small bits of loader bucket shard. Love those detectors but when scraping and detecting, I am forever stopping to pick up the most minute bits of shard :(
Went out today with an old NF 17x11 mono on the GP3000. Picked up a few hot rocks and some small metal bits.
However, when testing with a few nuggets, only got 3" or so on a round 3 grammer, about the same on a long 1 grammer and could only detect the 0.5g by rubbing the thing with the coil tip!
Having never used the coil, is that pretty standard sensitivity for this older coil or is the coil faulty?

Screenshot at 2023-04-28 10-44-04.png
Now, given that the 3000 will only get a run when we are scraping and detecting our leases, would the 3000 pair up well with a new Evo mono such as the 17x13?? or would I be better off with a large 22" DD or a larger round mono?? The plan is to use something that misses the tiny stuff but will detect the nuggets 1g and above at reasonable depths....
I'd use a 5000, but dont own one....yet ;)

A magnet on your pick will take care of the swarf
Yes have one....however the 6 and 7 are so damned sensitive that its literally 2 hours to detect 2 pushed rows, simply as stopping every few foot to get it with the magnet :(

Odd question and situation :)
Despite owning a 6000 and a 7000, I have been playing around with the old 3000....Looking for something not quite as sensitive to small small small bits of loader bucket shard. Love those detectors but when scraping and detecting, I am forever stopping to pick up the most minute bits of shard :(
Went out today with an old NF 17x11 mono on the GP3000. Picked up a few hot rocks and some small metal bits.
However, when testing with a few nuggets, only got 3" or so on a round 3 grammer, about the same on a long 1 grammer and could only detect the 0.5g by rubbing the thing with the coil tip!
Having never used the coil, is that pretty standard sensitivity for this older coil or is the coil faulty?

View attachment 9467
Now, given that the 3000 will only get a run when we are scraping and detecting our leases, would the 3000 pair up well with a new Evo mono such as the 17x13?? or would I be better off with a large 22" DD or a larger round mono?? The plan is to use something that misses the tiny stuff but will detect the nuggets 1g and above at reasonable depths....
I'd use a 5000, but dont own one....yet ;)
I would expect at least 4" for the .5 as I know I get at least that with a 17" DD Pro and 3500 the Evo should be fine or an old 24" UFO if you can find one.

Regards, Ian.:)

I would expect at least 4" for the .5 as I know I get at least that with a 17" DD Pro and 3500 the Evo should be fine or an old 24" UFO if you can find one.

Regards, Ian.:)
Thank mate :)
Ironically thought of the UFO and will keep an eye out.
Likely a dodgy coil then. Good to know.
I have a 22" DD and a couple of 14" DD's so may give them a whirl too.

Latest posts