SDC 2300 First Day Out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pig Iron

Steve Jones
Reaction score
Well after much deliberation I decided on the SDC 2300.
Been itching to get out but too damn wet - until today. Went out for about 3 hours just to check it out.
One shot gun cartridge, one small piece of wire, one large piece of wire and three shot pellets. No gold but I feel confident that if I'm digging pellets down about 3 inches then I will get gold if its there. Anyway had a ball walking through the bush and am so keen to get out again, and that's tomorrow.
Thanks to all on the site who helped with advice.
Cheers

Hi pig iron those sdc are deadly on small stuff you'll get gold soon I'm sure low and slow mate. :D

Hey Pig Iron, will be keen to see how quick it takes you to master it, that's the machine at the moment I think I'll be buying next, so hope to see you find lots of gold next time out. Best of luck

Keep at it mate, just concentrate for any change in tone. They don't all scream out like the shot does. If you get even a slight warble, signal sound difference, and it repeats when you swing over it repeatably then dig it mate, its likely small gold. The bigger pieces of gold will signal clearly like the shot if close too or just below the surface. good luck. :)

Thanks guys most helpful as usual.

I can understand that over time the ears will assist with what to dig. The loud screams were rusty steel but at this stage I need to dig to see what is below. Thanks also Scrounger you have been particularly helpful with your wisdom of the area. Back out tomorrow hoping for more luck however if it doesn't result in gold I come home having had a beaut day in the bush.

Thanks again all.

Hi pig iron, I just bought a sdc as well, same as you havn't used it yet but I have used a borrowed one, great machine like Scrounger said you really have to listwen to any change in the audio. I f you have a gold ring put it say 200mm down in dirt and swing your sdc over it, it will give you a good idea what a nugget sounds like. I dug up a lead shot that was 300mm deep it was just the faintest difference in change of tone, and I'm fairly deaf. The more you use it the better.

Thanks Wishfull

I will give that a try.. I also need to look at where I am swinging the SDC and make sure that I am in an area that is going to deliver.. So many things to consider but I have patience and time :lol: .. Don't worry you will hear the scream when it happens..

cheers

I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs Pig Iron, but unless you get a screamer on the surface and can obviously see it's metal don't assume that you'll ever get to the point where you can reliably walk past a signal thinking it's junk and not gold. I'm certainly no expert, but i often feel pretty confident calling signals before i dig them, but i still get it wrong mate just as often as not.
Dig everything if it signals is my advice, and if you do dig a piece of gold, make sure you run the coil back over the hole because there is sometimes more than one piece in that same spot and it's too easy to find one, fill the hole and walk off presuming that was the only piece signalling.

Good luck Pig Iron!

You definitely won't miss it if you get that coil over it with the SDC. Scrounger's advice is 100% spot on! Dig all responses.

One of the biggest flat (alluvial gold) bits I found last trip threw a nasty overload signal and sounded just like a big old bit of rusty iron/junk. It was sitting only about an inch deep. It was about 1cm long, 5mm wide and around half a mill in thickness, maybe less. Had a similar screaming overload with a weird shaped half gram bit at four inches stuck in very wet saturated clay (it was absolutely pouring rain at the time).

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.
All the best and good luck!
Shauno.

Report Detecting Day 2

Well after some generous assistance from maxwell2 I am pleased to say I have my first nugget. The "Hand of Ant" was a joint effort really but that is what was important about the day. I learnt more about the target signal, likely areas to swing and had the opportunity to dig up a heap of rubbish before I practised on "The Hand...."

maxwell2 also gave me a sleeve for the SDC that I reckon saves about 30 minutes a day not having to fiddle with that crazy fold down forearm rest.

Any way I am grateful for the support provided and look forward to finding "The Foot of Ant"

Cheers

1470992927_img_6287.jpg

Pig Iron said:
Report Detecting Day 2

Well after some generous assistance from maxwell2 I am pleased to say I have my first nugget. The "Hand of Ant" was a joint effort really but that is what was important about the day. I learnt more about the target signal, likely areas to swing and had the opportunity to dig up a heap of rubbish before I practised on "The Hand...."

maxwell2 also gave me a sleeve for the SDC that I reckon saves about 30 minutes a day not having to fiddle with that crazy fold down forearm rest.

Any way I am grateful for the support provided and look forward to finding "The Foot of Ant"

Cheers

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7813/1470992927_img_6287.jpg
Hand of Ant ...love it that will go down in history. Better than the hand of the unfaithful I guess.

Great write up for day 2 Pig Iron congratulations. Looking forward to seeing the foot of ant, can't wait

Report Detecting Day 3

Sun made it through the clouds today so thought I would venture out on day 3 with the SDC.

Went to Nerrina where it has been flogged blind. Holes everywhere but it is close to home. Plenty of bullet cartridges, lead shot and old nails.......but then the SDC started playing a tune I hadn't heard before.....

A Brittania Harp unearthed and then a small guppy nugget. Music to my ears !!!!!!!
1471943579_img_6297.jpg
1471943509_img_6299.jpg

Latest posts