Saltytom intro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm Tom from the Lake Macquarie area. I've been detecting for about 30 years both here and in the UK. My main interest is in relics and the history behind them. I used to live in the Central West and had a go at gold detecting around the Stuart Town and Peak Hill areas and a few other places with a Gold Bug, I didn't find any gold but a few relics. The Gold Bug is a great machine finding boot tacks and shotgun pellets but with no discrimination was no good to use in the UK. There is that much ferrous over there after generations of activity a discriminating detector is a must. I now have a Tesoro Cutlass a Minelab Sovereign and a Tesoro Tejon. I look forward to chatting to like minded folk and maybe going for a dig together.

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome guys, I too love the tesoro's. I have found heaps of relics with the little Cutlass, not the deepest seeker but light and easy to use. That's why I bought the Tejon it is a similar weight, more modern technology and deeper seeking but not as easy to use it,s taking a bit of learning it,s language as it speaks to me, if you know what I mean.

Catch you later. :)

Welcome to the forum Tom, I look forward to hearing about some of your expertise in the treasure hunting department. I'm sure your experience from such a lengthy involvement will be invaluable and we look forward to sharing it with you. Best of luck and may the treasure not remain hidden for long.

Cheers Wal, :)

welcome aboard Tom,
Mate I would give my right leg to have a detect in the UK for a month, awesome history and finds.
Cheers
Brad.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, I'm happy to chat about detecting in the UK I get over there about every couple of years to visit family and get out as often as I can. It is getting harder to get on properties over there now and you really need good contacts to get on. There are a few rally's and clubs you can join and some do a dig every weekend, which is what I have done in my most recent trips over there as it,s hard to get good contacts living over here.
Detecting is very popular in the UK and there are quite a few anti detecting bodies out to spoil the fun, a lot of archaeologists seem to think that only they have the right to dig, including the Time Team guys.
Anyway it,s a great hobby, there,s nothing like hearing a nice sharp "beep" and the thrill of the search. I reckon you all know what that feels like.
Take care all and happy digging.

Latest posts