SA South Australia information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Mt Crawford, Jupiter Creek and Chapel Hill area the main areas. Are you using a Metal detector or sluice/pan?

Cliff

Yep those be the places unless you ask around for permission on private land. I do know a guy who pulled 100 ounces over the last couple months detecting a private property in Echunga! The land owner won't grant anyone else permission to run a detector though. Said he didn't want a million people jumping fence and digging up his property. Fair enough I guess but what a lucky bugger. Always worth asking around.

Hi guys has anyone know about olympic dam in sa
I know someone thar grand father worked on olympic
Dam i was told 60 billion dollars in gold was found thar
I was also told the goverment hit a vain of gold near the
Dam wall and couldnt mine so thay coverd it with 6feet of cement
I have tryed to look for gold thar its private property because
Its adalaids drinking water but i did find 2.23 grams around the fences would
Of keeped going but thar is alot of snakes around thar i guees becaus
Of the fresh water i wonder where thay dumped all that rock that came
Out of.olympic dam ???

The only public land is as Coyote states above and there is a $5 fee at Mt Crawford

Pretty well everything else is private property.

BTW because there's bugger all here, I'm actually heading to Victoria next week for a 3 week trip to the goldfields there.

Mount Crawford recently has had a no car ban through the fossicking area,someone has been in there killing Roos and leaving them in full view,you can still acsess the areas but you have to walk in,a couple of prospectors were kicked out as well for being outside the fossicking area,its gonna get a ban on fossicking soon I reckon if people don't play by the rules,there you g to ruin it for everybody.

Diggertom said:
Isn't Olympic dam up far north? Maybe you are referring to the sa water catchment up gorge road way?

Tom
Olympic dam is 10km from the town of Roxby downs and about 30 km from opals, Andamooka. 589 km ex Adelaide. turn right at pt. augusta and keep going, then right at pimba and 38kms to go. not a bad drive/trip. bhp own the lease of 1000 square kms I believe. there is gold,silver,copper, uranium etc in the area. more gold than people know,obviously. geologically, S.A. is very gold friendly but so far not in huge quantities. there are gold mining sites all over the state. just waiting. :eek: yeeehaaa :lol:

Hi guys has anyone know about olympic dam in sa
I know someone thar grand father worked on olympic
Dam i was told 60 billion dollars in gold was found thar
I was also told the goverment hit a vain of gold near the
Dam wall and couldnt mine so thay coverd it with 6feet of cement
I have tryed to look for gold thar its private property because
Its adalaids drinking water but i did find 2.23 grams around the fences would
Of keeped going but thar is alot of snakes around thar i guees becaus
Of the fresh water i wonder where thay dumped all that rock that came
Out of.olympic dam ???

the gold was cemented over due to the quantity found and the effect on gold prices if it was all mined and sold. gold usually occurs with copper. Olympic dam's mine product is......................copper. I have been in the gold room there ,and the smelter, and the toxic waste areas.
Adelaide does not get it's water from there. the mine's water comes from the great artesian basin and has to be desalinated for human use. plenty of snakes around too. the rock/overburden is used around site for projects to some extent.

loamer said:
Years ago I got permission to hunt out an old WW2 PW Camp and an old Chapel site, both near Mt Gambier from SA Wood's and Forests in and around a pine plantation (rules - not summer/spring, not while there was logging - sign in,sign out). I see it is now Forestry SA which has 'leased' all its trees for 99 years, retrenched most of its work force and used the sale $ to pay for a football oval upgrade.
Was that POW lane out towards Tarpeena? Often thought that might be an interesting place to detect. How did you go? What sort of finds did you come across.

near Nangwarry. it was an Italian POW wood cutters camp. From memory, on Camp Rd (I think was the name). Got a few coins, LOTS of rubbish. Found a great old plow. Under the new sale deal I am not sure if you can still get into the pines.

Mate she's open slather out there get in and out quit easily just don't go getting caught dumping rubbish or cutting firewood.other than that any one is free to drive through the pine as long as they are not harvesting at that time.but then they will have keep put signs posted anyways.great spot out there behind nanga's you would be surprised how much red gum is lying out there left over from ash wednesday.that's if the locals don't beat u to it.

I grew up in Nangwarry and went to school in Penola.
A wonderful childhood. The pine plantations were my backyard.
Spent many hours in them and knew every track for many miles, as well as every rabbit hole.
We lived in what is now called Khrichauff Terrace, right opposite the oval.
Every house, all the shops etc was owned by "The Mill"
We were there from about 1959 to 68.
Happy Days.

Mate she's a small world.I worked in the mill for 16 years until it shut down.spent most of my time drinking there on the weekends and getting to know the locals.I would probably know most of the people you grew up with not many have left there

Couple more places in SA, I have been out to Teetulpa and Waukaringa. Get permission of the Station owners and it is all good. One has a small museum of stuff from the early days prospecting and just asks for a small donation towards the RFDS, they even offered me a room if I wanted. The other likes to camp people in the same area so he knows where they are, right next to an old cemetery on a hill. Waukaringa was interesting with the remains of the old pub and post office, short drive up to the old chimney stack and old workings. Be careful at Teetulpa though, there is a ex-politition who bought up all the old gold leases thinking he is on a fortune, if he sees you on his lease he just calls the cops, so make sure you know who's ground you are on. I just put them on the GPS and he couldn't say shit about where I was.

Latest posts