S.A. South Australian Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest cfs warning message.

1574291038_20191121_093227.jpg

According to ABC TV fire is now out and they are mopping up hot spots. Had Daughter in law & grandies stay with us last night, no power at their place in Yorketown & Mrs HM is up at Warooka Bowling club helping with food to feed the Firies so sounds like good news for now. 17 deg by my weather station and had some very fine drizzle about an hour ago but didn't register. HM

Had a close call today. Part of our town was evacuated due to lightning strikes starting fires. Got within 2 kays with a 50 kay northerly coming at us. Fortunately the wind swung 180 degrees.
My battery almost flat. Will post pics later if im still awake.
Cheers
Battery charged.
1576845968_resized_20191220_145748.jpg

1576845969_resized_20191220_145712.jpg

1576845969_screenshot_20191220-184039.jpg

Last pic of fire burn area is quite large was North of us.
Then wind changed direction. After that we had a fire South of Ardrossan but to the East of us. One at Clinton Centre to the North East and one at Warooka to the South. All started by lightning. Not sure of property damage yet.

Very hairy day. But lots better than Adelaide hills fire at Cuddly Creek etc.

Wishfull said:
Last pic of fire burn area is quite large was North of us.
Then wind changed direction. After that we had a fire South of Ardrossan but to the East of us. One at Clinton Centre to the North East and one at Warooka to the South. All started by lightning. Not sure of property damage yet.

Very hairy day. But lots better than Adelaide hills fire at Cuddly Creek etc.

Well you stay safe mate, we are here for ya Ay, :Y:

Stay safe wishful, and all in other fire areas, know just what you area going through at the present. We do not have any immediate danger at present, but fires all around, just want the winds to stay below the predicted gale force and some BLOODY rain. O:) O:) O:)

Graham

So after my last post here things went pear shaped very quickly not long after lunch, most of the afternoon we watched and waited for spot fires, luckily nothing showed up, but around 4pm to 5pm we thought we could hear thunder, but could not see anything because of the thick smoke, but started to get spots of rain and actually had heavy rain for about 30 seconds and it was all gone, but the thunder continued for some time after. Found out later that the fire had created its own weather. :( :( :(

Graham

http://media.bom.gov.au/social/blog/1618/when-bushfires-make-their-own-weather/

Fire's creating their own weather system is amazing, one second it's heat and embers the next is rain albeit light on :( happy to hear you escaped it, let's hope it stays that way :beer:

Yes, as a whole I think the community dodged a bullet somewhat. I hope these few benign days help with clean ups and back burning before the hot weather slams us again later in the week.
Still plenty of smoke around but thats the least of our problems. Sadly a tough Xmas for many this year and beyond.

Two of the fires near us began as back burns while there was 2 days of cool cloudy weather but sadly the winds came up on day 3 and the fires got away from them with around 100 homes destroyed .

Its possible the fire zone would have reached us with or without the burnoffs but some locals are furious at the RFS.

I subdued things a little bit by pointing out the following;

Many professional wheat farmers in the state have had 50 % crop losses due to drought.

Many sheep farmers had 11 - 19 % losses during lambing season due to weather and fox attacks

RFS firies who were tasked with protecting 400,000 homes had losses of 900 homes or 0.2 % so considering how seldom the weather does what its told , then I think their percentages have been admirable.

CreviceSucker said:
Two of the fires near us began as back burns while there was 2 days of cool cloudy weather but sadly the winds came up on day 3 and the fires got away from them with around 100 homes destroyed .

Its possible the fire zone would have reached us with or without the burnoffs but some locals are furious at the RFS.

I subdued things a little bit by pointing out the following;

Many professional wheat farmers in the state have had 50 % crop losses due to drought.

Many sheep farmers had 11 - 19 % losses during lambing season due to weather and fox attacks

RFS firies who were tasked with protecting 400,000 homes had losses of 900 homes or 0.2 % so considering how seldom the weather does what its told , then I think their percentages have been admirable.

The shock of all this is beyond belief, I remember the 93/94 fires but nothing prepares you for an event of this magnitude, My thoughts go out to all those effected :brokenh:

J.

Latest posts