Rutting up a prospecting buddy!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

Just thought I'd jump on and share a rather heart racing event my prospecting mate and I had a few weeks back.
It all started when we hit a sweet patch of fines on bedrock in the Orange area of NSW.
After about 2 hours of banging and bashing our black Bunnings scoops cleaning bedrock, Josh turned to me asking what's that?
Being deaf as a door nail I replied with Huh?
At that point Josh stood up to have a look about and what he found soon had him standing very still indeed.
Hey Hoff check this out he goes. "Well I'll be f#@%$d" I said, there stood the grandest Buck I'd ever seen. :eek:
Standing 6 foot at least at the eyes and antlers longer than my arms, he didn't seem overly pleased with the rutting sounds Josh and I were making by the creek.
And he was in no hurry to move on, just standing there with a stink ass look on his face. :mad:
After what felt like 2min he just strutted off on his merry way, thank god. :)
We'll be taking a good camera out next trip that's for sure.
We see 5 or 6 deer a trip but nothing like him.

Cheers,

Hoff.

Gday Hoff,
Next time when your out that way make sure you shoot him with a Minolta or a Nikon, then you can post a great pic.
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.
Cheers Steve. :D

Lucky they don't eat human ,... bambi gone wild on steroids ! :eek:

Not to mention slamming their antlers into you once you're on the ground.
The most aggressive deer & likely to attack is the Fellow, although one of the smaller breeds in Australia (male around 100-110kg normally), they are the most aggressive & during the rut a Fellow Buck will attack to protect his doe's, they can do some serious damage to, broken ribs, punchured
Well worth keeping your distance, some of them Sambar & Reds can get massive.

Yeah Them Sambar can get to be the size of a small Horse and they can be dangerous for sure,

Some mates got on the Pi$$ at a wedding and they asked the Driver to pull over coz one of them was going to be sick anyway he jumped out the car and as he went Ralph over the fence a sambar thought there was another stag on his patch and it went for the bloke, needless to say the drunken mob just laughed their heads off,

Nice to know who ya mates are aye, lol

john

What breed of deer he was is where things get strange!
At first glance he screamed Red due to his shear size but as he was a silvery grey colour I thought Fallow but then he didn't have palmated antlers like a buck fallow.
Well not that I could pick up on as I was kind of shaking a little as I've seen what a Fallow buck can do to a human.
I'm thinking he was a Red ether with a pigmentation throw off or he had been wallowing and it was just dry mud.
My brother in law thinks he's seen the same buck pig hunting that area a few years back that was silver, so I'll try rut him up next break and fingers crossed get a pic.
Cheers Hoff.

Hoffs gold said:
What breed of deer he was is where things get strange!
At first glance he screamed Red due to his shear size but as he was a silvery grey colour I thought Fallow but then he didn't have palmated antlers like a buck fallow.
They are not always palmated . This is usually due to bad genetics .

Red Deer will breed with Elk, there are Elk in Vic, Think Rusa will also cross breed, not sure which other breed with though, either Chital or Sambar.
Fallow (got it right this time,lol) can be coloured from near black to nearly white, some with spots some without, probably get some silvery looking colours here & there.

Latest posts