Rockhampton region and surrounds Qld

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all... just wondering if anyone would know of any areas around rockhampton to go gold fossicking, as i want to get out there and try my luck with the family and see what treasures we might find.. I know about the gold fields out at Clermont, there also on my 'to try list'. Any info would be great... cheers

What did the mine at mount morgan?? if it was gold try around that area. Also Google Rockhampton gold and have a look. Aldo try treasure enterprises.. aussie site with gold info
Good luck
Cheers Tone

Just have to ask.. i need a fossickers license before i can go prospecting? And if yes once i have one im allowed to look in any rivers or creeks (and with permission on private land). As all this is new to me. I figured its better to ask and do the thing...

Stones 1970 'Gold Prospecting' book lists these (don't know if they are private land or not or exactly where, but he lists them under Rockhampton. All alluvial. Canoona, oaks View, cawarral, Morinish, Peters rush, Herbert Ck, Native Cat, Box Flat, Callide Ck, Glen Dee, Four Mile Ck, North and Middle peaks, Mt Scott (east) Paddys Gully at Rookwood. I don't know QLD laws and regs so one of the QLD folk may be able to help or google?

Good luck.

Wardy, you will need to get a fossicking licence before you start. better to be safe than sorry, you can get them online, or you can go to your local prospecting shop, or mines department office. Google Qld Fossicking licence will bring up info you need to know.. here is the link to the gov website.. http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking/licences-permits

This is the parent site, will give you an idea on what you can and cant do.. http://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/fossicking

You will need land holder permission to go on private land, the licence details where you cant go, National Parks, State Forest and other protected areas. Will set you back abot 50 for the year, buy the family licence then if you have anyone come visit from interstate they are covered.. also any family members that may go with on your trips..

Good luck with it and keep the questions coming, you will find a no nonsense approach on this forum where people like to deal in the facts when it comes to the legalities of a method to find gold, great advice on where to go and what to look for, heaps of encouragement when you proudly post about your finds and most of all a great bunch of people who want you to succeed in your new hobby.

Cheers, Tone

Hey Wardy,

Rockhampton was established off the back of a gold rush at Canoona in the 1800's. It was known as the Duffers rush as there was little gold to be found. The rush was started by the government of the day as they wanted a white labour force for the squatters who were already established in the area. 15000 people travelled up from Sydney and Victoria because of the false rumours the Govt of the day started. Most of them later had to be rescued by the same Gov't in warships they sent to pick them up. About 30% of the diggers stayed and worked for the squatters so the Gov'ts ploy worked. Found all this through internet research of gold fields.

Gist of this history lesson is to tell you to look outside of Rocky. Mount Morgan was the largest gold operation of its day and that area is a good starting point.

Regards,

Grant

hey thanks for the info loamer, Tone and Grant. I'll keep researching about the area.. cheers

G'day Wardy,

As it's going to be a family event, I'd start with clermont and the gemfields.
Clermont has the designated fossicking areas, i.e. you don't have to know anyone to get access, you just need a licence.
If you luck out on the yellow at Clermont, it's a short drive down to the gemfields where you'll be sure to get a sapphire, then you wont be going home empty handed.

As Loamer mentioned there are lots of places around the rockhampton area that gold has been won. However they weren't all alluvial as his book stated. I have been lucky enough to have spent a fair bit of time around the canoona and oaks view (my grand parents actually owned the property where the old oaks view mine was) area. The canoona alluvials were the only field that was actually alluvial, you can see a monument dedicated to it about 35km north of rockhampton. Where the alluvial fields were is on private property though. There were reef mines associated with the canoona area as well oaks view, last chance, brittania and satan being the more famous.

A large amount of gold was also won from the Mount Chalmars & Cawarral areas, early reports state that alluivial was short lived and soon gave way to reef mining, however good money was made from this area.

Boldercombe, Struck Oil and ofcorse Mount Morgan are also some good areas, they pulled over 262 tonnes of gold (between 1882 and 1981) from the Mount Morgan mine alone, the best assays recorded (it was a hard rock mine) showed 3,700 oz/ton!

Area's around Raglan (Mt Hiron area) have also had small propects over them in the years.

Ridgelands and Morinish have had large areas of alluvial prospecting done on them too (far too many and far to wide spread to list).

Let me know the area your interested in going and I may be able to help.

cheers
JC

Sorry for jumping in on your posts but thought I'd say thanks for the replies guys as I am also about to head to the Rockhampton [next week] area for a wave of my wand, before heading further north. I'll put the information to good use!!!

Cheers

Robynmau

JC84 said:
G'day Wardy,

As it's going to be a family event, I'd start with clermont and the gemfields.
Clermont has the designated fossicking areas, i.e. you don't have to know anyone to get access, you just need a licence.
If you luck out on the yellow at Clermont, it's a short drive down to the gemfields where you'll be sure to get a sapphire, then you wont be going home empty handed.

As Loamer mentioned there are lots of places around the rockhampton area that gold has been won. However they weren't all alluvial as his book stated. I have been lucky enough to have spent a fair bit of time around the canoona and oaks view (my grand parents actually owned the property where the old oaks view mine was) area. The canoona alluvials were the only field that was actually alluvial, you can see a monument dedicated to it about 35km north of rockhampton. Where the alluvial fields were is on private property though. There were reef mines associated with the canoona area as well oaks view, last chance, brittania and satan being the more famous.

A large amount of gold was also won from the Mount Chalmars & Cawarral areas, early reports state that alluivial was short lived and soon gave way to reef mining, however good money was made from this area.

Boldercombe, Struck Oil and ofcorse Mount Morgan are also some good areas, they pulled over 262 tonnes of gold (between 1882 and 1981) from the Mount Morgan mine alone, the best assays recorded (it was a hard rock mine) showed 3,700 oz/ton!

Area's around Raglan (Mt Hiron area) have also had small propects over them in the years.

Ridgelands and Morinish have had large areas of alluvial prospecting done on them too (far too many and far to wide spread to list).

Let me know the area your interested in going and I may be able to help.

cheers
JC

Hi all just wondering about access and permission for canoona..if anyone could help it would be great as the family and I are thinking about heading up there in the next few weeks for a look.... cheers

Wardy said:
Hi all just wondering about access and permission for canoona..if anyone could help it would be great as the family and I are thinking about heading up there in the next few weeks for a look.... cheers

Hey Wardy
In regards to permission anywhere it is best not to rely on others to provide you with access details etc as you could get caught out in the wrong place without consent, best to do your own work on this one mate.
cheers
Lee

Latest posts