Rock or metal with possibly gold flakes?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I went looking for some limestone and stumbled upon this odd looking rock. It looks like it has gold coloured flakes on it.

So was just wondering if someone may be able to identify it as I have no clue.

Thanks!

sPmsALy.jpg

4IUKVPT.jpg

3jgBKp6.jpg

Remains of an ornament or statue maybe like a dragon? Top photo looks like it has a foot and spine. :p It could be overflow from a mold pour or most likely melted on the ground like a fireplace. It looks rusty in parts but also has copper content from the green bits probably from brass/bronze which is what the gold bits probably are. So a mixture of metals but the goldy colour looks like a coating. Also in the last photo it looks like a piece of glass is encapsulated so my guess is it was something man made thrown in a fire. Hit it with a hammer to get a fresh face and and go from there.
Jon

grubstake said:
That looks very like actual gold! Is the rock notably heavy for its size?

And have you tested it with a metal detector?

Used a metal detector over it, seems like it is all metal. But it is surprisingly light.
Thanks for the reply!

nightjar said:
Thinking it is brass, considering the oxidised copper showing.
Yeah that's what I noticed after a while of looking at it. But the metal inside of it is hard to explain, almost like charcoal.
Thanks!

blisters said:
Remains of an ornament or statue maybe like a dragon? Top photo looks like it has a foot and spine. tongue It could be overflow from a mold pour or most likely melted on the ground like a fireplace. It looks rusty in parts but also has copper content from the green bits probably from brass/bronze which is what the gold bits probably are. So a mixture of metals but the goldy colour looks like a coating. Also in the last photo it looks like a piece of glass is encapsulated so my guess is it was something man made thrown in a fire. Hit it with a hammer to get a fresh face and and go from there.
Jon

Thanks for the reply, I noticed the glass and thought it was a bit strange. I'll have a go at that.

jethro said:
put it in some HCL and see what happens

I'll try breaking off a piece and having a go at that, thanks!

Give it a polish, a coat of clear lacquer to keep the finish and wack it in the trophy cabinet. Looks good enough to be a nugget ;)

Latest posts