Rock formation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, went out for a drive around Daylesford, Newstead Castlemaine area and noticed formations of rock running up and over hills etc. they were all running in straight lines in various locations, some places 7-8 lines wide, not sure what type of rock they were, if you've driven from Daylesford to guilford you can see them on a property running over a hill next to the road, anyone got any ideas or info?

Jafnob said:
Hi all, went out for a drive around Daylesford, Newstead Castlemaine area and noticed formations of rock running up and over hills etc. they were all running in straight lines in various locations, some places 7-8 lines wide, not sure what type of rock they were, if you've driven from Daylesford to guilford you can see them on a property running over a hill next to the road, anyone got any ideas or info?
Yeah, i've seen them myself mate. Don't know what type of rock they are though. need one of the geos on here answer. Maybe post the question on Atoms thread about 'road cuttings/rock formations'.

It's all through that area, I was wondering if it has any relation to gold in the area, or is it just a coincidence, they all seem to run in the same direction, there is definitely some erosion happening and if that's the case then the soil must be shallow if the Rock is exposed, however that doesn't mean there's gold there, wish I knew more about geology

I've been over there before and by memory its a hard slate or sedimentary. Basically its the old ( 450 million years old ) layering of ancient sea floor and years of errosion which creates deep layers and then compact, also can metamorphasize into other harder rocks ie; beach sand -> sandstone. After some forces of faults, pushing and pulling and volcanics, those layers are turned upright ( verticlal-ish from horizontal layers ) or even over 180 or more. The harder layers are what you see exposed at Daylesford which have survived the errosions, in some areas there, you can see where the waterways most recently cut through some of the hard layers. Daylesford also contains a deep lead ancient river where many of its minerals derive from, which the old timers and we dig, also forming the Hepburn Springs mineral waters. Mostly alluvial workings and originally called Wombat.

Yes mate, I had my gear stolen back at the start of Jan so didn't have much to input really, the insurance company finally paid out so I got a new machine so I was out and about this weekend looking at new areas, also my ancestors come from Newstead so I went up there to have a look at the Newstead cemetry to see if I could find the grave of my great great great grandfather who was a miner and ended up being the sexton for the cemetery, so while I was in the area I noticed these rock formations which got me interested and thought somebody on here might have some info and hey presto here I am talking to you

Always great to chase up some family mining history if its available, sounds exciting :) I'm glad you got you hands on something to get back out there again.

You will find these sandstone outcrops over that region of the gt. All the mess gave hydrothermals and lavas / magmas easy access to break the surface and give us minerals and traces of deep minerals / metals etc depending on how the timeline was written for that area

off topic so sorry about that but i think i have spoken to you via PM on facebook Jafnob, so now back on topic, did you happen to get photos of the rock formation, been reading a bit on geology and trying to learn abit more about it, AR your knowledge on this subject is helping mate so thank you for that

No sorry mate I didn't get a photo, I will next time I go through and yes have spoken on pm I think, and thanks atomrat, there is some good stuff on you tube about geology but when someone points it out to you while your on the ground that's the best way to learn

Latest posts