Tracks cut into the hills Ovens Valley, Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Driving through the Ovens Valley today and noticed small tracks cut into the hill sides. They only run for maybe 50 to 200 metres and don't climb very high. They appear to be no more than 3 to 4 metres wide and start and finish nowhere. I'm guessing they are tracks put in to move traffic around the dredges that were operating there. Anyone have any information or ideas?

Tracks like that were used in the early days to collect and direct water to where it is wanted.
Then and now they are used to reduce erosion by stopping water from running quickly straight down a hill and directing it sideways to slow it down. This was often just a furrow ploughed across the hill.

Another similar cause of tracks around the hill that aren't that wide is stock tracks as they can't walk up and down the steep hills very easily. In NZ I have even seen cases where the hills were so steep that a falling sheep could end up dead at the bottom.

Rob P.

PabloP said:
Tracks like that were used in the early days to collect and direct water to where it is wanted.
Then and now they are used to reduce erosion by stopping water from running quickly straight down a hill and directing it sideways to slow it down. This was often just a furrow ploughed across the hill.

Another similar cause of tracks around the hill that aren't that wide is stock tracks as they can't walk up and down the steep hills very easily. In NZ I have even seen cases where the hills were so steep that a falling sheep could end up dead at the bottom.

Rob P.
No, these aren't anything to do with water collection or management. These are tracks wide enough for vehicles to travel on. They are also on the bottpm of the hills. They run from the bottom of the hill, along then back down.

Are they where there have been pine plantations, as they made short tracks to allow people and gear to get access to initially plant and then later harvest the pines. Where exactly in the Ovens valley as I was born and brought up in that area and some photos may help as suggested earlier.

Rob P.

PabloP said:
Are they where there have been pine plantations, as they made short tracks to allow people and gear to get access to initially plant and then later harvest the pines. Where exactly in the Ovens valley as I was born and brought up in that area and some photos may help as suggested earlier.

Rob P.
Yeah they are but they don't go up into the plantations. They just go up a few metres run parallel to the ground and then down again. Driving down the Alpine Highway from Myrtleford to Harrietville they appear every so often on either side of the valley. Sometimes hard to see.

Flash Jack said:
PabloP said:

Rob P.
Yeah they are but they don't go up into the plantations. They just go up a few metres run parallel to the ground and then down again. Driving down the Alpine Highway from Myrtleford to Harrietville they appear every so often on either side of the valley. Sometimes hard to see.

Looks like that entire stretch is available on Google StreetView (see below), so you can drive it via your computer screen and make pics of either side of the roadway from screenshots:

1637048949_harrietville.jpg

Latest posts