Research Information and questions Goulburn NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of steerage on researching old mining sites down in the Goulburn area. I've got some old parish maps that show some interesting potential and am wondering how I should proceed to get say copies of maps which will enable me to identify current boundaries of properties, ownership, crown land, national parks, forrestry precincts etc with a view to contacting said owners for permission to enter and fossick?????
I'm betting it's not a simple answer but I'm sure there are many of you on the forum who have jumped the hoops and can offer me some sound advice!
Yep....I'm all ears and I've been told they're pretty big.....Ha Ha Ha!......Standing by for your pearls of wisdom......Cheers and thanks.....Ole Kev popwinters. :cool: :)

With all the parks and public areas around Goulburn Shire.....Who's the right person , beaurocrat or whatever title council person to seek permission to check out such areas for hidden booty of any kind? From experiences, :( :cool: what hurdles can I expect to have some chance of approval and permission being granted?

Hi Kevin, You have some maps of gold mines in and around
goulburn? The once I have seen are private properties and some already built areas. The tourist information centre should be able to answer some questions. They encourage fossicking in the Grabben Gullen public areas.

Thanks for your response joe and shivan. I'll chat with you on Sat23rd Joe....area I've got my eyes on other than all the parks etc around here are parish historical sites well out of Goulburn proper but the maps are pretty old.
I'll check out your suggestions shivan and see what cooks...thanks mate.....Kev

Hi everyone, im new to the Forum and wondering if anyone could help.
After reading and looking at posts on the forum in the past 3 hours or so, i still have a few question that i need answered if possible.
I have been looking on the internet in the past 4 days, looking at places on where i cpuld go panning ( thats what i am into at the moment) i have panned in the past, but that was 5 years ago at Sofala, and i havent done it since.

I do not want anybody's locations or secret spots, but a push in the direction of where i should/can go.

Im going to Goulburn for a few days sometime in the next week and a half or so, and was wondering.

1) Where can i go and pan around the Goulburn area? Besides Tuena and Grabben Gullen
2) Am i able to take the soil/sediments in a bucket and go through it at home, or does it have to be done where you are panning? If i am allowed what is the limit of how much i can take in a bucket?
3) I just want to pan for gold, or gems ect. Im not fussed, as just being outdoors and doing something that is now going to be my new hobbie, besides fishing and Astronomy.
4) Should i go and see the information centre at Goulburn as well, to get further information on areas?

Note: im a gardener/groundsman with 8 years experience in that field, so i have a great understanding of making sure plants and trees ect are left alone, and making sure that any place that i dig at will be filled back in, as its a safety issue for fellow people wanting to pan and fossick in the areas that i will be going to.
I also have an 8 year old who loves gems, which i would love to take him with me to look at places. But i would like to get an understanding of areas before i take him with me :)

Thanks to everyone who could/can help me out, its greatly appreciated

If heading somewhere new checking out the local information centre is always a good idea. From Goulburn, you have GG and Tuena as you mentioned, Oallen Ford, Stewarts crossing and Wee Jasper would be other places of interest.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether there is any old gold mines in the Goulburn Crookwell area.Would like to take Little Eldorado for a look at an old mine site or diggings.

Crookwell is lower centre
1511674127_crookwell.jpg

Goulburn is top left corner
1511674144_goulburn.jpg

gday there mate just wondering if that is some sort of downloadable overlay for google earth?
Im a young guy also from goulburn on my own. Would like to see if there is any closer spots for me around here to get too!

Cheers!
:D

Latest posts