Repairs to Minelab Detectors .... ????

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teemore

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Been researching which detector to buy,
new 5000 around $6500, second hand 5000 anywhere from $5000 to $6000+ depending on options, some reasonable units currently available and more seem to be hitting the market.
New 4800, around $4900 or second hand 4500 around $4000+ depending on options ... again a few units around.

2 of the recent units have BOTH been returned to ML for warranty work, this was fixed and both are now rated by ML as "no Fault" (now) and "Tested OK" (assume AFTER the repair).

My query to ML users out there ... have you had reason to return your unit for actual "repair" work or as some seem to do, returned it for a "service"?

Also some of the "repairs" seem to relate to, as the motor vehicle industry call it, "Bulletin Work" ..... essentially a "fault" found with a batch of units that they may recall to complete the repair. Has ML ever asked you to return your unit for repairs or, have they completed some such "Bulletin" work on a unit you sent to them to service.

From what I've noticed ML seem very focused on warranty work when it needs to be done, thumbs up !!!

Finally downloaded a 4500 user manual to allow some direct comparison to the 4800 (no comment yet but very very interesting)

Appreciate any input you may have regarding "repairs" from your perspective.

Regards T.

Don't know if I should comment as one of the abovementioned machines could be mine but....
With my old SD2200D I sent it in as I didn't have anything to compare it with & pretty much wanted a "check up". On the service report it was listed as being unstable/noisy/false signals. All I had said was I wasn't sure if it was overly noisy as I can't check it against another machine. I guess the service report data form probably has some preset options for service/repair work? They listed next to this "no fault" + "tested ok" so from that I'd reckon it was ok beforehand. They did however upgrade the specs to the latest available for the SD2200, realigned to their parameters then done a full function/performance test. Was out of warranty & cost me $200 or thereabouts all up.
My GPX5000 however was sent in & listed again as unstable/noisy/false signals. On testing they found a faulty Q109 module which was replaced under warranty. As part of the warranty service they also realigned & full function/performance tested which they listed as OK after the repair.
I have however heard of people sending in their GPX under warranty with supposed faults, such as unstable/noisy but the report has come back similar to my SD2200D I.e "no fault"/"tested ok". From all reports, even though no fault was apparently found, they still gave the machine a realignment & full function/performance test at no charge - under warranty. If this is in fact true then Minelab need to be applauded for unbelievable customer service as by rights if no fault is found they would be entitled to charge for any tests, performance checks or any other work not related to a fault.
In short I don't think every machine sent in under "warranty" has an actual fault but like me with my old SD2200D they may be after a reassurance check.

The early batches of 4500s were subject to an official recall - up to #1200, I think. The on/off button on the 4000 was a bit second rate as well but easily fixed. They are pretty good with their servicing but as always, will not usually touch an 'unofficial' modded machine - warranty voided, including any recalls. Yes, some people swear by modded machines - I do not. Too many horror stories including by some of the reputable modders. I think the key difference is that the 4800 was aimed more at relic hunting. Why was it ever released? I have no idea.

I had a great experience repairing my Sovereign GT - was treated well and a speedy repair with warranty included on the repair. Can't ask for much more than that!

Thanks again Loamer/Mbasko,
As stated ML seem to do a very good job with their warranty issues, either real or in some cases as you mentioned imaginary.
Agree with your views on modifications, don't think I'd ever go down that path but to each is own.
Doing almost a line by line comparison between the 4500 and 4800 to see why the 4800 keeps getting referred to as a "relic" detector,
the 5000 also has the "Coin/Relic" timing option .... does this detract from its gold finding capabilities?
By the way mbasko, your's is NOT the original unit I was alluding to ... at $5200 I'm surprised no one has snapped it up yet, the points you make about "noisy, unstable, false signals" must be an issue for all users at some stage of their detecting .... at what stage do they start to question whether it's their own use/settings, the local difficult conditions or indeed a detector issue, can see it could be a real nightmare in some cases.
Regards T.

T. The 4500/4800/5000 - I have admit, I do not know anyone with a 4800. That is not a criticism, just seem to be either 4500 or 5000. The 5000's fine gold appears to be a game changer but I have seen an old 3500 with 14" DD find the very small wheat gold that my 4500 only registered a very faint threashold change that I only really paid any attention to because i knew there was a small bit of gold (If you can understand that). I reckon the three of them are pretty close together for general detecting. They are a super quiet set of machines and however, I think users of the old 2000/2100/2200 are more forgiving of ground noise due to years of putting up with it!! The key change was most definitely the major switch over to mono coils - they can take some getting used to after years of running DDs. Your comment about user settings is quite correct. There are several places I simply cannot detect due to an inexplicable small pocket of ground that creates havoc - a spot near Maryborough and another near Wanyarra - must be sweet spots for EMI, but very small areas. I always advise taking a test piece (squashed lead is OK) to do random tests throughout the day for a. determine if settings are OK and b. a break from 'wandering' to refocus the mind.

Good to see you are researching this subject thoroughly - its a big outlay but with time and effort, I think you will recoup the $. Good luck.

Teemore ... a very good question you have submitted one that has had me puzzled also.... electronics to me is like a light globe it works or it doesn't with only a minor variant, it may flicker on the last few times it is turned on... letting you know its about to die.
I often scratch my head when I read someone sale advert that includes the line .."it was sent in and serviced recently" or " it has just been serviced" .. I always image the covers off and oil being changed with a top up of coolant.
If these expensive devices need running time services why are they not provided with service logs ? ... I think its more to the fact that the companies will take money from the gullible.
There are a few areas in a circuit that require critical values probably costing a few dollars on the cheap or for a few more dollars the highest quality, when you spend $6.5K on a detector you would think that the highest quality would be in there.

However an approved upgrade, modification or recall due to a known componant design flaw should be a service recall for all who have the model in question.

But the most stupidest thing done by many companies which causes most of all the faults is paint, resin, glue and epoxy coatings on circuit boards, they apply it to conceal the identy of the componants used, this practice causes componants that generate any heat to stress their solder joins and became dry joints .... Guess who has to pay to fix the problem once out of warrenty ?

My detector turns on and off, and I can ''stabilize'' any situation or soil I am standing on with all the ""variable controls"" provided on my detector ... It has never been serviced in 4 years... When I come to sell it I fear if someone asks have I serviced it regularly? I might be forced to tell a lie otherwise they may think its ready to blow the radiator or head gasket and I will miss the sale.... LOL

Dreamwalking said:
I often scratch my head when I read someone sale advert that includes the line .."it was sent in and serviced recently" or " it has just been serviced" ..
Scratching my head at this - if you've had your machine (any machine not just detectors) "serviced", checked up, looked at, repaired, refurbished or otherwise appraised as in good working order why would you not include that information in the sale as relevant information to any perspective buyer.

Dreamwalking said:
I think its more to the fact that the companies will take money from the gullible
This check up, look at, service - call it what you want is done under warranty when the machines are being checked for faults. If out of warranty they are done very cheaply IMO. There are a few more delicate components & timing settings in my GPX than a simple light bulb circuit. It even has a service point :lol: (smart point).

Dreamwalking said:
However an approved upgrade, modification or recall due to a known componant design flaw should be a service recall for all who have the model in question.
Hmm... next time Holden upgrade or modify a series of Commodore then they should allow all the people who purchased a series one take it in for a series 2 upgrade. Is that right or only detector company's must do this :rolleyes:

Dreamwalking said:
My detector turns on and off, and I can ''stabilize'' any situation or soil I am standing on with all the ""variable controls"" provided on my detector ... It has never been serviced in 4 years... When I come to sell it I fear if someone asks have I serviced it regularly? I might be forced to tell a lie otherwise they may think its ready to blow the radiator or head gasket and I will miss the sale.... LOL

This "servicing" you keep talking about isn't really servicing in the sense of what you would have done with your car. It's basically a check up on your detectors performance when it is sent in for a possible problem. Agree some of these being sent in may come down to user error etc. but then some don't. There are machines (again not just limited to detectors & some 10's thousands of dollars more expensive) that do have component failure for a variety of reasons. If you haven't had that inconvenience good for you but in my case the GPX5000 was unusable until the failed module was repaired - a fact that can be verified by 3 other experienced operators.

Bottom line is most people send their units in not for "servicing" but because they perceive there may be an issue with it & want it repaired. A fault may not always be found but Minelab, seemingly while they already have the machine there, must figure that it would be a good idea just to check alignment & give it a performance/function test while there. Who knows these performance/function tests may even identify an issue prior to complete failure, which really is a bit to proactive for us simple folk I guess.

This is from the Minelab website FAQ section

HOW OFTEN SHOULD I SEND MY DETECTOR BACK FOR A SERVICE?

Only if it becomes faulty.

loamer said:
This is from the Minelab website FAQ section

HOW OFTEN SHOULD I SEND MY DETECTOR BACK FOR A SERVICE?

Exactly & most people do send them in when they think they have a faulty machine. Some of these are, some aren't but Minelab seem to give them a bit of a "going over" while they have them regardless.

peterau said:
Hi, question; whats involved in checking the alignment,I havent heard of this before. Cheers peterau

Minelab said:
Minelab's patentedMPSdetectors require precision aligning of the different operating channels in order to minimise interference caused by various sources of magnetic interference. Different timings can require a slightly different alignment for maximum effectiveness. TheGP seriesintroduced an option of three timings, and even though the performance of these timings were quite different, a single alignment still worked well, as the timings were quite similar electronically. With so many different timing options packed into theGPX-4500, it was no longer possible to rely on a single alignment, and so the Smart Electronic Timing Alignment orSETAconcept was born.

SETA automatically sets a precise alignment for eachTimingoption, and these are saved to the built-in memory. What this means is that if you are regularly switching between timings, you should have no problems with noises caused by magnetic interference. This means that the threshold will remain more stable, and signals from highly magnetic rocks will be significantly reduced. This will allow you to harness all the power of theGPX 5000andGPX 4800, and operatethem more efficiently under different conditions.

A bonus of SETA technology is that theground balancesetting of each timing is also saved, so if you are switching between timings when investigating a suspected target signal, you won't have to continually re-ground balance the detector.

Basically its a check or resetting of the parameters of the timings alignment. If these parameters are out your machine may not be operating at maximum effectiveness - I would say that is a fault worthy of getting a "service".

Mbasko ... I applaud you for clarifying to our readers what happens at a service, I am sure some will now have a better understanding because of it.
Occassionally a 'Devils advocate' ( as I have been) can help to draw information into the light to enable others to make clearer decisions about the functioning of their detector and other electronic devices.

Your second reply I take as nothing more than a lowly response for what I believe is for stepping on the toes of a technician or someone that represents a brand of detector you have concluded that I have inferred.

I only presented information to promote discussion for the purpose of gaining a broader insight of both sides of the counter through peoples personal knowledge and experiences.
I believe many gullible people get are being ripped off financially when they take items in to be repaired, over the years I have known people caught out .. They get told jargon like .. "The designated audio response frequencies were not reaching the audio output stage" ... wow that sounds bad .. but what it ment was the speaker connecting wire had come away from the speaker... a ten minute job to resolder of the joint... it was resoldered for $95. I am not saying all technicians are like this but be warned there are those that can see your lack of knowledge.

-----------------
SO ..... HOW OFTEN SHOULD I SEND MY DETECTOR BACK FOR A SERVICE?

-----------------

I did infer that the repair costs should not always be the users when poor design is the fault even when its out of warrenty. Fact close to 90% of all electronics faults are due to dry solder joints.

It makes you think doesn't it

On that note I have contributed all I can on this topic.

Cheers

Teemore get a late model 4500 and that will work hand in
Hand with your 2300. Better still you could probally pick
One up for around $3800. They are a very nice and smooth
Machine. All it needs is a 16" nugget finder coil.

Latest posts