Removing old roofing screws.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on access for your knuckles, a small hacksaw with a narrow, fine-toothed blade can be used to clean up and slightly deepen the slots for the screwdriver blade. Be careful, you need to keep the sides of the slot as close to square as you can, to stop the screwdriver blade from slipping.
I‘d also recommend dressing the blade of the screwdriver, just to make sure the end is square & sharp (sharp corners, on the edges of the blade). Use a screwdriver that fits the slot - too big or too small and it’ll slip.
Failing that, try and find an impact driver with a tip that fits the screw head. These work very well, but of course, your mileage may vary…
Fit two blades to your hacksaw.

It's not asbestos. It's plain old run of the mill CORRUGATED IRON! I know the difference between the two, and would not buy a house with an asbestos roof, as I know the ramifications of that. View attachment 7639
Bloke simple easy and safe, run an extension ladder down roof attached at pitch of roof gives you a good safe work platform, grab a pair of these bad boys and simply cut heads off. No sparks. Once iron is off either repeat and cut off remaining screws flush with batten or bend a right angle in remaining shaft of screw and unscrew them ? Job done 👍

inchers.jpg

Ladder.jpg

I can't cut off the tops of the screws, as some suggest, as I need to use the same corro and the same screw holes. If I cut the heads off it will leave the shafts of the screws in the beams. Same applies when pulling the screws out. The damaged holes left will be to large for the modern hex head screws to get any grip.

I can't cut off the tops of the screws, as some suggest, as I need to use the same corro and the same screw holes. If I cut the heads off it will leave the shafts of the screws in the beams. Same applies when pulling the screws out. The damaged holes left will be to large for the modern hex head screws to get any grip.
Bloke not to sure your reading suggestions ? If you use a good set of pinchers it will not damage iron as needs very little space under screw head The pair woomera posted up would be perfect for the job ? You could then bend the screw at right angles about half way down length of screw shaft thats left and use it to unscrew the old screw? Personally I'd move all the sheets about 10 mm or so as new screws with a fresh bite into bearer is probably going to be more secure than screwing into an old hole ? Give it a go as should be a pretty easy task 👍

If it's only a leak why not silicone over all the screw heads. From my experience the leak mark in the ceiling is not directly under the water entry point. Water find a way in and the runs down sheet or roof truss until it finds a drop off point. The water may be entering for a flashing joint further up the roof. If you can get into the roof cavity, look for dampness further up. If the roof has foil insulation it can carry the water to a drop off point.
regards Ned

As Ned said, if you can get into the roof cavity, have a look for any water staining on the truss and follow it. If it’s a hole or split in the sheeting you should be able to see the light shining through, but you already knew that and I shouldn’t be stating the obvious, sorry. Mackka

It's not asbestos. It's plain old run of the mill CORRUGATED IRON! I know the difference between the two, and would not buy a house with an asbestos roof, as I know the ramifications of that. View attachment 7639
On the top left , that self tapper and pop rivet could be giving you the leak . I would not move the sheets 20 m.m. The timber will now be hard as hell . They put the old screws in when it was green timber .

I wouldn't move the sheets 20mm either. 20mm up, the bottom will not overhang the gutter = leaks into the eaves. 20mm down would leave a gap under the ridge capping = possible leaks if the wind is blowing that way. The self tapper and pot rivet already have silicone on them.

Are you replacing sheets ?...... A roofers group im into, there is a big demand to collect the Old emblems printed underneath the sheets...
I have seen some pay more than $500.. Top price was $1500. not for the whole sheet , just the emblem bit... I have seen quite a few collections of these Emblems and I have Never seen a 'Wolverhampton' sheet before... You could be sitting on a Gold mine with these sheets...

Would you like me to post the pic on their page, using My name of course for an 'Appraisal' on what it could be worth...???

LW....

Wiley Coyote you could be on the gold bloke :oops: LW might have put you on a good patch. Would appear this Three Crown Gal is special gear indeed. Certainly has a history about it. 👍

T. W. & J. Walker

T. W. & J. Walker, Hardware Manufacturers, 12, Renfield Street.—

The hardware trade is to a very great extent confined to the neighbourhood of Wolverhampton. The district of Birmingham is greatly noted in connection with this very important industry. Among the largest manufacturers of hardware goods a very prominent position is held by the firm of Messrs. T. W. & J. Walker, of Wolverhampton. This firm, in addition to their branch in London, have also in Glasgow an important depot, which was established in 1868 by Mr. Howard Walker. It is now carried on under the very able direction of Mr. David Morris as agent, he being ably assisted by Mr. Thomas McGill.

The premises occupied at the above address comprise a large fiat that includes a well-stocked showroom, offices, private rooms, &c. The stock is necessarily extremely varied in its character, as the firm are extensively engaged in the hardware and metal trade. A large supply of brass goods is kept, and in all departments of the general ironmongery trade the stock is extensive and varied. The special attention of the firm is directed to supplying ships’ chandlers with all goods required in the furnishing of vessels.

One of the most noticeable features of the firm’s manufacture is that of corrugated iron. This description of metalwork has become extremely popular of late years, and Messrs. Walker having devoted special attention to the production thereof, have consequently become widely renowned for the superior qualities they produce. There is a very great demand for what is known as the “three crowns” quality, and enormous quantities of the class are shipped to the leading foreign markets.

A considerable amount of success has been gained by Cyril Walker’s warranted self-setting rabbit and vermin trap. It is admirably constructed, and is so simple in its mechanism that it has commanded a very large and increasing sale. Through the medium of the Glasgow establishment a very large trade is done, and this is confined solely to the wholesale department. The business is conducted with very great energy, and the firm now stands in the foremost rank among the leading houses similarly engaged.

Back to Index of Firms (1888)

Are you replacing sheets ?...... A roofers group im into, there is a big demand to collect the Old emblems printed underneath the sheets...
I have seen some pay more than $500.. Top price was $1500. not for the whole sheet , just the emblem bit... I have seen quite a few collections of these Emblems and I have Never seen a 'Wolverhampton' sheet before... You could be sitting on a Gold mine with these sheets...

Would you like me to post the pic on their page, using My name of course for an 'Appraisal' on what it could be worth...???

LW....
LONEWOLF. That sounds interesting! Yes, you can post them on your group. Bogger. Those 3 crowns must mean this product has had royal approval. This could get interesting! At least we know they're not counterfeit.!!As far as I can work out, the house was built in about 1880. But that doesn't mean these sheets aren't older, as, back then, they were masters of recycling. If a house got burned down, or, destroyed in a tornado, the remains were used to build or extend other houses. As far as I can work out ours initially had 2 rooms. Some of the original walls had full length hinged panels consisting of about 6-8 weatherboards that they propped up on hot days to let cooler breezes pass through the house. They also had fine mesh on them to keep out the flies, mossies etc. The original open fireplace has a large steel rod across it, which I think may have been used to hang their large cooking pots on. (Like you see in cowboy movies. wiley

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiley Coyote you could be on the gold bloke :oops: LW might have put you on a good patch. Would appear this Three Crown Gal is special gear indeed. Certainly has a history about it. 👍

T. W. & J. Walker

T. W. & J. Walker, Hardware Manufacturers, 12, Renfield Street.—

The hardware trade is to a very great extent confined to the neighbourhood of Wolverhampton. The district of Birmingham is greatly noted in connection with this very important industry. Among the largest manufacturers of hardware goods a very prominent position is held by the firm of Messrs. T. W. & J. Walker, of Wolverhampton. This firm, in addition to their branch in London, have also in Glasgow an important depot, which was established in 1868 by Mr. Howard Walker. It is now carried on under the very able direction of Mr. David Morris as agent, he being ably assisted by Mr. Thomas McGill.

The premises occupied at the above address comprise a large fiat that includes a well-stocked showroom, offices, private rooms, &c. The stock is necessarily extremely varied in its character, as the firm are extensively engaged in the hardware and metal trade. A large supply of brass goods is kept, and in all departments of the general ironmongery trade the stock is extensive and varied. The special attention of the firm is directed to supplying ships’ chandlers with all goods required in the furnishing of vessels.

One of the most noticeable features of the firm’s manufacture is that of corrugated iron. This description of metalwork has become extremely popular of late years, and Messrs. Walker having devoted special attention to the production thereof, have consequently become widely renowned for the superior qualities they produce. There is a very great demand for what is known as the “three crowns” quality, and enormous quantities of the class are shipped to the leading foreign markets.

A considerable amount of success has been gained by Cyril Walker’s warranted self-setting rabbit and vermin trap. It is admirably constructed, and is so simple in its mechanism that it has commanded a very large and increasing sale. Through the medium of the Glasgow establishment a very large trade is done, and this is confined solely to the wholesale department. The business is conducted with very great energy, and the firm now stands in the foremost rank among the leading houses similarly engaged.

Back to Index of Firms (1888)
WOW! There's a lot of good info there Bogger. Thanks for that. wiley.

Done and Already a bit of interest . One Well known fella Wants one , so i have said 'make an offer ?' ... Im trying to get a rough price on what they are worth, so look after the sheets and i should have more info in a day or two for you... I have a bit of an idea but i will not say a price till I get more Experienced Advice for you... As soon as i saw the name Wolverhampton, That made me think its worth a bit...

Well researched Bogger..... Champ...

LW...

On the top left , that self tapper and pop rivet could be giving you the leak . I would not move the sheets 20 m.m. The timber will now be hard as hell . They put the old screws in when it was green timber .
Pre Drill with a 1/8th or 3/16 first then use roof screws that have the rubber washer on them... BUT screw them in where the rubber washer just bulges out VERY slightly... Screw in too much and you will have leaks... Send me some pics and i may spot your issue... But 99% sure its caused by the pk screw or the pop rivet. and running down the left side of your Sheet... Any more pk screws or pops further up the sheet ?.. I know of a great product that seals roof leaks and lasts for years.. And its not silicone. If you must use Silicone use a Roofing silicone, not any other as it will cause more damage latter on..... I will also get the name of the product for you.. Both the pk screw and that pop rivet should never be used on a roof...

It could also be coming from your ridge capping screws .. Or. issue could be No turn up under the ridge capping ... Don't think in the early days they did that Modern day roofs have a 40mm turn up that sits under the ridge cap... and prevents water being forced under the ridge cap. and running down the inside of the sheet... Look for the stained timber and follow that to the issue... Need some pics from outside to really help with the leak. as wel will help..

LW...

Last edited:

Latest posts