Quick build 'Blue Bowl'

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the best way to make a hole in a pice of plastic is to heat up a pice of wire or small tent peg and melt the hole in it always does a good job

Went to Bunnings yesterday and grabbed some gear to make one of these (will be a weekend project).

Not sure if I was looking in the wrong spot or not, but I couldn't find a funnel that I liked (there were slim pickings in the jerry can section). The medium sized ones had edges running the length of them that I think would disturb the flow of the water. Will have a poke around the shed later to see if I can find something that's better sized.

Hurg said:
Went to Bunnings yesterday and grabbed some gear to make one of these (will be a weekend project).

Not sure if I was looking in the wrong spot or not, but I couldn't find a funnel that I liked (there were slim pickings in the jerry can section). The medium sized ones had edges running the length of them that I think would disturb the flow of the water. Will have a poke around the shed later to see if I can find something that's better sized.

Try super cheap auto, they normally have packs of 3 or 4.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Paul

Yeah, pretty sure I have one laying around in the shed I can use. Otherwise Supercheap will be the spot. Cheers

All is well with this set up, but just as easy with a cake microwave bowl, as it already has the centre cone, just cut it below the outer edge, by about 2-3 cm, this works well and saves a lot of hassle gluing and sealing the cut off funnel, just be careful on the water flow, if too fast it will take the fine gold too

Today I made a blue bowl
Used a plastic bowl from bunnings three way hose coupling, a length of hose and a spout from an old watering can.
Leaving it over night for the sikaflex-pro adhesive to dry before trying it out.
1443266694_image.jpg

Excellent project, I just wish bunnings would sell better plastic products, PP or PE plastic not the POO plastic bowl that I got. Good work guys, keep em' coming

Hi all, has anyone commented on roughing up the bowl with fine sandpaper or rubbing sand in by hand? All the plastic pans seem to have a matt finish to them and by roughing the base up would get a better 'grab' of the finer stuff.
I am definitely building one but I think I will use a black oil change type pan cause I am a little colour blind and need the contrast.
Great site and awesome builds
Cheers

I tried building one of these blue bowls yesterday, but as soon as I started cutting the base hole in the bowl the whole thing cracked apart. I bought a new bowl this morning, marked out my hole and used a soldering iron to melt/cut out the hole, it worked like an oxy cutter. Now I just need to wait for the glue to dry before I can put it to the test. :)

Latest posts