Quick build 'Blue Bowl'

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post from a newbie in Adelaide, hi guys, great info!. I started making my blue-bowl last week after watching a u tube demo. I was scratching my head on what to use for a centre cone and I have been experimenting with a 50mm plug and waste, but it needs way too much work. The funnel idea is genius. I'll be trying that for sure. I picked up a 1050 LPH garden feature pump at Bunnings for around $40 after reading that 2 gallons per min was a good feed rate. This weekend looks like being in the shed. Hopefully I can add to my 0.5 grams panned so far.. Thanks to all, I'll post my results in a few weeks :cool:

My Blu-Bowl Update.
Mostly put together now, still some fine tuning to be done, but I think it will work fairly well. I tried some tailings (who knew I'd end up with my own tailings pile!) and got 3 x 100 minus dots. Here is the semi finished bowl.

1382927193_blubowl2.jpg

I cut down the top of a spare sink waste outlet for the top flare and glued it to the funnel.

1382927357_blubowl5.jpg

If I had my time over again I'd go for a bigger pump than the 1050 litre/hr. I run it flat out and it seems to work OK but I don't have any upward adjustment (although I could probably reduce the size of the inlet to increase pressure.

1382927495_blubowl1.jpg

1382927524_blubowl6.jpg

1382927614_blubowl3.jpg

1382927641_blubowl4.jpg

Well, this weekend I'll be making a frame of some description to hold it all together. Hope to get some video of it running and post here. Now, all I need is some gold...................TT

That looks great TT. The sink waste outlet looks perfect, that is the sort of lip I was looking for thanks. I wonder if the mrs is going to notice it missing from the bath tub? LOL

Thanks Gcause. Same here Ramjet, my cone is also too high. Good excuse to visit Bunnings again. :D

Well Folks
It looks like I have another project for the wet season.
Projects
1. Re-configure/ modify my highbanker sluice.
2. Design & Build a large Aluminium Dryblower about the size of the keene 151. (12v)
3. Design & Build a small Aluminium Dryblower for sampling (12v) something easy to leave set up on the quad.
4. Design & Build a miller table (like the Catch it ii)
5. And now the blue bowl.
6. Design & Build a recirculating sluice for dealing with cons from the other gear, including a specially designed water cleaning tub for when water is scarce ( that is most of the time up here).
Geez looks like I will be busy.
cheers
Lee

Thanks gcause for the measurements it has taken me back to the drawing board a bit. But can anyone say what a good water flow is for a blue bowl?

Golden Tiger said:
Thanks gcause for the measurements it has taken me back to the drawing board a bit. But can anyone say what a good water flow is for a blue bowl?

I'm thinking the optimum flow rate will depend on the diameters and dimensions of your particular set up. However, I would think that say 1500 to 2500 litres / hr flow in would be plenty, and have a flow valve to give you the ability to slow it down to suit the different classifications of cons you are running. Better to have too much and slow it down, than not have enough.

Dozer said:
That looks great TT. The sink waste outlet looks perfect, that is the sort of lip I was looking for thanks. I wonder if the mrs is going to notice it missing from the bath tub? LOL

Thanks Dozer, the lip works well but I will paint it blue or black so I can see the waste materials scooting over the top. They tend to disappear against the shiny surface.

Hey ramjet, I like the funnel for the lip. You know I cut one down myself and dropped it into the outlet of mine to reduce the outflow, works a treat if you want to get the water level up.
Now like I said before, where to get some gold.......

TTKooAu said:
Hey ramjet, I like the funnel for the lip. You know I cut one down myself and dropped it into the outlet of mine to reduce the outflow, works a treat if you want to get the water level up.
Now like I said before, where to get some gold.......

Thanks TT
Currently using a 750 gph pump and it is a little to much flow if unrestricted.
I little more flow with a valve to control it wouldn't hurt. As you said... Too much can be slowed.

Rod

Some great ideas being bounced around on this topic, looks like I'll be visiting my 2nd home in the morning to make my own blue bowl :p

What would we do without Bunnings hey?

Paul

I don't know whether these pics will help out, but this is my D.A.M. Industries Blue bowl, tried to take some photos from different angles to show the lip and water feed with tap for flow rate. :) The flow rate tends to be a bit of trial and error, depending on how much material you feed, and its consistency (black sand, normal sand etc.). Biggest mistake is to feed too much material in, needs to get the water level to sit just before overflowing on the outer edges of the bowl, this is when the "cyclonic" effect works best at drawing the lighter material up the central cone and through the centre hole. :)

1392464997_img_20140215_221118.jpg

1392465049_img_20140215_221152.jpg

1392465141_img_20140215_221215.jpg

1392465165_img_20140215_221232.jpg

1392465195_img_20140215_221259.jpg

1392465218_img_20140215_221428.jpg

1392465241_img_20140215_221850.jpg

1392465274_img_20140215_221911.jpg

Goldpick said:
I don't know whether these pics will help out, but this is my D.A.M. Industries Blue bowl, tried to take some photos from different angles to show the lip and water feed with tap for flow rate. :) The flow rate tends to be a bit of trial and error, depending on how much material you feed, and its consistency (black sand, normal sand etc.). Biggest mistake is to feed too much material in, needs to get the water level to sit just before overflowing on the outer edges of the bowl, this is when the "cyclonic" effect works best at drawing the lighter material up the central cone and through the centre hole. :)

i have the same one but the water level sometimes works best as much as 22 mm below overflowing

If its heavier than usual ironstone then i might run it closer to the top

but the best rule with these things is to use sieves to separate it into minus 100 , minus 50 , minus 30 etc and run them separately

Correct, to make it work properly, you really need to screen out the larger gear, it is really designed as a clean up device for fines vs seperating out larger stuff. If the gear is too large, you tend to try and over compensate by increasing the water flow to get things moving, but any small pebbles or ironstone simply hinders the separation process.

Latest posts