Question about Etiquette

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Devonian said:
That wasn't directed at you Phil and yes Sniffy the ground did shake a touch from the boom as I kicked the doors open to three local pubs asking who the owner of this car is. As I was called away to a funeral only to return to that, you can only imagine my frustration. I was planning on going full time bush for a few months this spring with a bush camp on solar "the works", but now don't know what to do? Could I duck into town to grab a meal? Go have a beer and chat with mates at the pub? Without my belongings being stolen?

Edited by Admin: Public threats are really not a good way to start as a new member of the forum. I have edited them out of your posts as they offer nothing positive to the forum or it's members.

Either way Admin you can only control this forum, and not all public media, nor can you control the "wanted with reward" signs being posted and displayed about this person on town notice boards, street posts, and in pubs and clubs across Victoria.

You have to understand that I'm not threatening this person, just wanting to know, who he is and why he did what he did.

Maybe he is intellectually disabled? Maybe broke and needed to steal my shovel? Maybe both and had to steal the shovel and crap on the shaft due something that happened with a Ballarat Catholic Priest?

As he was driving quite a good car I do not believe this is the case. Unless he was compensated???? Silenced???????

And I believe my post could have shown to others a positive non violent way of resolving an issue between prospectors without the violent use of a dictating editing that you have used to destroy my free speech.

Edit as much as you like but there are plenty of ways to Prospect Australia and you will never kick real diggers out.

I'm always wandering up for a chat, usually friendly greet is met by friendly greet but every now and again you get some strange and angry moments. We are a weird bunch.

Case in point ran into a guy who was super cagey. Started with the old "Having any luck?" And it went downhill from there. First I got the run down on how awesome the bloke was but I could barely follow the logic and facts he was spitting out.....He was either playing the blonde or just trying to confuse me hard to tell, could not get a straight answer over the most basic questions. Any how I'd heard the signal as I was approaching (sounded pretty sweet) and he goes on and on about it being hot rocks. Fair comment except that he was telling me his mate had a heap of nuggets from the same spot. I couldn't figure out if he was throwing me off, putting me on or just plain erratic. Weirder still he was giving me the verbal doc of the whole area.
Truth be told if he wanted me to stay quiet he just had to say. Odds are the $ I could get out of the dirt would not be worth the time to dig the trash I saw strewn around, and the mystery reef he was referring to was never touched by the old timers, not a single indication of ever being any work in the area which I can state for a fact because it's an area I know well. Anyway for all I know he might have dug thousands after I left!

Virgin patches, keep them quiet gents haha.

Devonian said:
Devonian said:
That wasn't directed at you Phil and yes Sniffy the ground did shake a touch from the boom as I kicked the doors open to three local pubs asking who the owner of this car is. As I was called away to a funeral only to return to that, you can only imagine my frustration. I was planning on going full time bush for a few months this spring with a bush camp on solar "the works", but now don't know what to do? Could I duck into town to grab a meal? Go have a beer and chat with mates at the pub? Without my belongings being stolen?

Edited by Admin: Public threats are really not a good way to start as a new member of the forum. I have edited them out of your posts as they offer nothing positive to the forum or it's members.

Either way Admin you can only control this forum, and not all public media, nor can you control the "wanted with reward" signs being posted and displayed about this person on town notice boards, street posts, and in pubs and clubs across Victoria.

You have to understand that I'm not threatening this person, just wanting to know, who he is and why he did what he did.

Maybe he is intellectually disabled? Maybe broke and needed to steal my shovel? Maybe both and had to steal the shovel and crap on the shaft due something that happened with a Ballarat Catholic Priest?

As he was driving quite a good car I do not believe this is the case. Unless he was compensated???? Silenced???????

And I believe my post could have shown to others a positive non violent way of resolving an issue between prospectors without the violent use of a dictating editing that you have used to destroy my free speech.

Edit as much as you like but there are plenty of ways to Prospect Australia and you will never kick real diggers out.

Maybe he was this, maybe he was that. I reckon maybe you will not be a member of this forum long with your poor attitude.

Goldtarget said:
I'm always wandering up for a chat, usually friendly greet is met by friendly greet but every now and again you get some strange and angry moments. We are a weird bunch.

Case in point ran into a guy who was super cagey. Started with the old "Having any luck?" And it went downhill from there. First I got the run down on how awesome the bloke was but I could barely follow the logic and facts he was spitting out.....He was either playing the blonde or just trying to confuse me hard to tell, could not get a straight answer over the most basic questions. Any how I'd heard the signal as I was approaching (sounded pretty sweet) and he goes on and on about it being hot rocks. Fair comment except that he was telling me his mate had a heap of nuggets from the same spot. I couldn't figure out if he was throwing me off, putting me on or just plain erratic. Weirder still he was giving me the verbal doc of the whole area.
Truth be told if he wanted me to stay quiet he just had to say. Odds are the $ I could get out of the dirt would not be worth the time to dig the trash I saw strewn around, and the mystery reef he was referring to was never touched by the old timers, not a single indication of ever being any work in the area which I can state for a fact because it's an area I know well. Anyway for all I know he might have dug thousands after I left!

Virgin patches, keep them quiet gents haha.

Sorry Goldtarget

It did piss me off and destroyed my relaxing weekend away after a funeral.

Anyway, back to the original post.

Wow, thats one way how not to act when out prospecting.

Glad to hear most people are easy to get along with while out & about, its one thing I was sort of worried about when approaching someone while they are detecting as a while back while out checking an old mining area, a few blokes turned up & started detecting, I was actually heading their way going back to my car & thought I would stop & say hi, the bloke with the detector just seemed very arrogant & stuck up, even after I introduced myself & told him I was just learning about detecting but hadn't got a detector just yet. Its just good to know not everyone is like that.

I think it soon becomes evident if people want to have a chat or not ozzii. Often a wave of the arm from a distance that gets no responce from the other person is a signal not to bother even trying. But i gotta say that thankfully i haven't run into one person out there yet that wasn't approachable or friendly enough to throw a wave back in my direction. i think generally most are out there to have a good time and are up for a bit of a chinwag and discussion about detecting and life :p

I'm always approachable, good natured and up for a chat and a giggle, life's to short!

In my life's experience I've learnt one basic rule, no one and I mean no one thinks like I do, they may have the same interests, follow the same football team, have a similar up bringing and even a similar life experience and they still won't think like I do!

We are all different and that's what is great about the world, what makes it work. What isn't great is the people who think they are always right and all around them should conform to their way or walk off the edge of the world!

And Devenion, it's all good mate, I know your vent wasn't directed at me or any of the good folks on here, pick yourself up and live your life as you want to, the universe has a way of taking care of those who look after and care for it and those in it, called karma I think :cool: .

I guess some people may just be very cautious & I don't blame them after all the recent goings on over in the west, you just never know what someone might try to do, & the fact I didn't have any detecting gear with me may have worried the fella a bit.
Next time I'll make sure I have the detector in my hand & then it should be ok as they will know I'm into the same hobby. :)

jamie said:
people should stay away from me while i am out detecting, if you wave and come over for a chat good luck getting away from me and detecting yourself, i love a chat, sitting down for a beer or a coffee and learning all i can from other people, you have been warned

If we ever cross paths then we're both in trouble,haha, we won't get anything done.
I don't mind having a chat myself if the other person is good to talk to.

Latest posts