Beginners gear

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been trolling through forums and YT videos and such and maybe its just me but I cant seem to get a good list of what gear a beginner needs to get out and start prospecting, so far Ive managed to work out the the list below, just wondering if there is anything I should add
Backpack
Pan kit (something like a Minelabs pro kit)
Pick\shovel
Finds bag
Ive decided on an Equinox 900 to get started

If there's anything else those of you more experienced guys might thing is useful, please add to the list.

Just a quick edit, as it says I'm a beginner, if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this sort of question just let me know.

Last edited:
Just start with that....... the most important thing is a good attitude........ unlike YT vids, you will find HEAPS of Shite, but persavere.....it will come.
just remember......if it was that easy.........everyone would be doing it........Good luck
A bad day out in the bush, is still a bloody good day......... it beats working

The word prospecting has a meaning looking for precious gems, metals or minerals. Treasure hunting is taken to mean looking for old relics or valuable lost items. The requirements for each are quite different.
So that is the first question you need to ask yourself.
If the answer is treasure hunting, an equinox, shovel and finds bag would be just about ok to start with. You do not need a panning kit for that.
If the answer is prospecting you need to ask a further question - metal detecting or panning for gold?
If panning for gold, apart from the panning kit and perhaps a thin metal scraper, you would not need a metal detector.
If metal detecting for gold, a panning kit is always handy to have but not necessary, just a decent and not oversized prospectors pick. Importantly however an Equinox will probably not do the job you want and you would better off saving you dough for to buy a proven gold machine like a second hand 2300, 5000 or at earliest 4500.

You previously asked for detector advice here on PA and got some very good, detailed answers from experienced prospectors:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...would-be-best-for-beginner.42083/#post-676899

But now you say you've decided on a detector that nobody recommended! Also, the EQ900 is a model that hasn't been entirely favourably received as an upgrade to the earlier Equinox 800. So what gives?
Firstly, don't make assumptions. Ask questions. I've decided BASED ON THE ADVICE FORM THAT THREAD that an SDC is probably the best option for a PI detector for me. I haven't readi t back but I do believe I mentioned I was looking at getitng a used one as opposed to a new one. Right now I have the budget for both a new 900 and a used SDC. Im looking at the used market and waiting to see what comes up. Any other of my choices you would like me to explain to you total stranger on the internet?

The word prospecting has a meaning looking for precious gems, metals or minerals. Treasure hunting is taken to mean looking for old relics or valuable lost items. The requirements for each are quite different.
So that is the first question you need to ask yourself.
If the answer is treasure hunting, an equinox, shovel and finds bag would be just about ok to start with. You do not need a panning kit for that.

If panning for gold, apart from the panning kit and perhaps a thin metal scraper, you would not need a metal detector.
If metal detecting for gold, a panning kit is always handy to have but not necessary, just a decent and not oversized prospectors pick. Importantly however an Equinox will probably not do the job you want and you would better off saving you dough for to buy a proven gold machine like a second hand 2300, 5000 or at earliest 4500.
If the answer is treasure hunting, an equinox, shovel and finds bag would be just about ok to start with. You do not need a panning kit for that - This is not what I'm asking, I know what kind of equipment is required for that.

If the answer is prospecting you need to ask a further question - metal detecting or panning for gold? - I've seen people out with detectors that collect what they have detected and later pan it out ro see if there is any gold. I didn't realise that panning and prospecting were mutually exclusive.

The 900 is simply to get me started, I don't want to be one fo the people out in the field that you guys are quipping
"All the gear, no idea" so Im looking at a 900 to get some experience with a detector while I look for a good second hand 2300. I could use all of my budget and buy a brand new 2300 and look like a complete clown becasue I have no experience detecting at all. I've seen quite a few reviews of it that have been favourable, obviously now you tell me differnet I will need to look again.

Just start with that....... the most important thing is a good attitude........ unlike YT vids, you will find HEAPS of Shite, but persavere.....it will come.
just remember......if it was that easy.........everyone would be doing it........Good luck
A bad day out in the bush, is still a bloody good day......... it beats working
Thank you, that was the the only reply that made any sense.

Hi All,

I have been trolling through forums and YT videos and such and maybe its just me but I cant seem to get a good list of what gear a beginner needs to get out and start prospecting, so far Ive managed to work out the the list below, just wondering if there is anything I should add
Backpack
Pick\shovel
Finds bag

If there's anything else those of you more experienced guys might thing is useful, please add to the list.

Just a quick edit, as it says I'm a beginner, if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this sort of question just let me know.
A hand held pinpointer is a very handy item to carry with you as it makes it easy to find in the hole

Hi All,

Backpack
Pick\shovel
Finds bag

Pretty much all you need there. Just start out with the basics & go from there.
I did see you mention you have the budget for a used SDC2300. If exclusively gold prospecting I'd recommend that over the EQ900. The SDC2300 is as easy to use as you'll get + is pretty much turn on & go. It is also a great gold detector that many people have had good success with even as novices. IMO would be easier to learn on than the EQ.

If the answer is treasure hunting, an equinox, shovel and finds bag would be just about ok to start with. You do not need a panning kit for that - This is not what I'm asking, I know what kind of equipment is required for that.

If the answer is prospecting you need to ask a further question - metal detecting or panning for gold? - I've seen people out with detectors that collect what they have detected and later pan it out ro see if there is any gold. I didn't realise that panning and prospecting were mutually exclusive.

The 900 is simply to get me started, I don't want to be one fo the people out in the field that you guys are quipping
"All the gear, no idea" so Im looking at a 900 to get some experience with a detector while I look for a good second hand 2300. I could use all of my budget and buy a brand new 2300 and look like a complete clown becasue I have no experience detecting at all. I've seen quite a few reviews of it that have been favourable, obviously now you tell me differnet I will need to look again.
Hi Diggerbro. No one is going to criticise you “all the gear, no idea” for having a 2300 (new or used). In fact most would think as an inexperienced person that would be the best and most sensible starting point rather than a 9 to10 thousand dollar outfit or at the other end of the scale a detector not up to the role of nugget hunting.
Even with a good detector successes are hard to come by. With an inappropriate detector there is even much less chance to the point of extended periods of failure. We need both success and failure to learn and if one is continually failing we would will not learn much at all.
You appear to be set on the idea of outlaying on a 900 as a learning experience but I doubt that it will do even that other than prove that if you want to find gold you should have a 2300. So why bother with a 900, just buy a 2300 (used they are pretty bombproof) and you will learn a lot more and save yourself the expense of the 900.
PS looked at local FB market place here in Geelong and saw 2300s for sale from $2600 and Equinox 900s from $1000. Not sure what is available in your area but gives you an idea of comparative secondhand values.

How much gold at $3000 AUD do you need to break even at these prices. Minelab Metal Detectors · GPZ 7000 Detector. $10,499.00 · GPZ 7000 With 19″ Coil Bundle. $11,499.00 · GPX 6000 Detector. $8,999.00 · Sale! GPX 6000 Bundle Most nuggets can be found with most gold detectors but a few are too small or too deep for some operators. Start small and use your finds to upgrade, that way you will not make a major error in your choice of hobby, as only few new people find more than an ounce or more before the quit the hobby..

Hi Diggerbro. No one is going to criticise you “all the gear, no idea” for having a 2300 (new or used). In fact most would think as an inexperienced person that would be the best and most sensible starting point rather than a 9 to10 thousand dollar outfit or at the other end of the scale a detector not up to the role of nugget hunting.
Even with a good detector successes are hard to come by. With an inappropriate detector there is even much less chance to the point of extended periods of failure. We need both success and failure to learn and if one is continually failing we would will not learn much at all.
You appear to be set on the idea of outlaying on a 900 as a learning experience but I doubt that it will do even that other than prove that if you want to find gold you should have a 2300. So why bother with a 900, just buy a 2300 (used they are pretty bombproof) and you will learn a lot more and save yourself the expense of the 900.
PS looked at local FB market place here in Geelong and saw 2300s for sale from $2600 and Equinox 900s from $1000. Not sure what is available in your area but gives you an idea of comparative secondhand valu is for that, it makes a lot of sense.

Pretty much all you need there. Just start out with the basics & go from there.
I did see you mention you have the budget for a used SDC2300. If exclusively gold prospecting I'd recommend that over the EQ900. The SDC2300 is as easy to use as you'll get + is pretty much turn on & go. It is also a great gold detector that many people have had good success with even as novices. IMO would be easier to learn on than the EQ.
Getting to where the gold is
How much gold at $3000 AUD do you need to break even at these prices. Minelab Metal Detectors · GPZ 7000 Detector. $10,499.00 · GPZ 7000 With 19″ Coil Bundle. $11,499.00 · GPX 6000 Detector. $8,999.00 · Sale! GPX 6000 Bundle Most nuggets can be found with most gold detectors but a few are too small or too deep for some operators. Start small and use your finds to upgrade, that way you will not make a major error in your choice of hobby, as only few new people find more than an ounce or more before the quit the hobby..
I might only ever find a couple of grams but for me it's more about having something to do, if I find stuff great if I don't so be it. It's just about getting out If the house, going camping and having time to give my poor brain a break and do something physical.

Here are a couple more simple hand tools you might like to consider:

For scraping away small branches, vegetation, surface gravel, etc:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/saxon-hand-cultivator-with-thumb-grip_p0242958

For running dirt containing suspected target over your coil:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/fiskars-nyglass-potting-scoop_p2970087

I have used both extensively out in the bush and they are almost indestructible – hint: wrap some brightly coloured insulation tape around the handles – you’ll have to buy less replacements that way :)

Two other items I’d strongly recommend if you are going bush:

1. First aid kit – I bought a couple of these for camping/4WD vehicles – they are reasonably comprehensive – just replace the toy scissors and the plastic tweezers with reasonable metal ones and you’ve got a good kit.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/404316025510?itmmeta=01HQ84FQ63H4ACF7RHKV2BVJD3&hash=item5e231cf2a6:g:R~UAAOSwL7ZkeYlJ&itmprp=enc:AQAIAAAAwIj7DqXh9N18YsGKBrlRVnxt14eDb/ud68Ty/moQYY0bfXdeIVK0goJGX1q9DRET6cDnponFaUUBf5XmVQO+51RiQgO1hBGkad87N/MIm0pYBqkHBp46byrqYRrxXnxl88csPMOP+HFCvOsxf4XA3SO/vTmJM8ZqrU7cyww0K8nd8yNmZV5CR6y9G27267JkAiZFKQgRceSz0XxuUAk8KTxyLpsmFkwMdtzKpXide2+LvHbtYERtv3AvAul+omUD3w==|tkp:BlBMUJTzvoS6Yw

2. A simple hand-held GPS (don’t rely on mobile phone out in the sticks) – two reasons for the GPS:

a. If you find what seems to be a reasonable location, and it proves-out back at home, you can often get back to it a lot easier if you have taken a fix on it before you leave.

b. When detecting one tends to concentrate on the ground and lose contact with the surrounds (particularly in the bush) – easy to look up from an hour of concentrated scanning only to wonder “where the hell am I?”

A fix taken on the car or the camp before setting out can be really handy.

Looking for gold is like fishing – if you catch something, it’s been a great day – if you don’t catch something, it’s still been a great day.

I began with a bent screw driver, couple of buckets, gold pan and a spoon. Didnt get rich certainly but had loads of fun. Even if good detectors have been over a creek bed doesnt mean all the chunky shallow gold has gone. Some wont beep until out of the surrounding rock like these guys.Screenshot_20240224_104310.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

Backpack
Pick\shovel
Finds bag

Hi there, I put a magnet on back on my pick. Easy to pick up targets. Also, I sometimes wear snake protection around ankles, depends on where I detect. Just enjoy the beauty of the bush, beach etc

Latest posts