Purchased my first detector, Minelab X-terra 705 Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a few weeks of browsing many posts, it was time to take the plunge and buy my first detector.
I found a second hand Minelab X-Terra 705 gold which was within my budget, and picked it up a few days ago.
Im aware its not a 'top of the range' machine, but i didnt want to lash out and pay a few thousand for a machine if i lost interest in the hobby!
Ive had a bit of a muck around with the machine, and it does seem quite complex with all the different settings which can be adjusted.
Id love to hear from anyone else who has this machine, and how long it takes to be confident that you are using it correctly. All the different settings are kind of doing my head in at the moment!
Ill be searching for gold with it more than coins etc.

Hey mate

Trust me once you have picked up on how to set it up before each search it becomes very easy..

Any time I get a new detector I always watch Set up video's on YouTube.. Here is a example
http://youtu.be/hDCbKkL3xd4
Also watch any videos with ppl using the 705 and you will gain some tips and advice

I tend to use 4 tone setting when I had mines, 99 gets a bit annoying lol :D

G'Day BoydWilliam

I too have an X-Terra 705 Gold Pack. Bought it last Christmas. Great little detector to start out with.

I use it mainly for coin shooting (no gold around Lake Macquarie, NSW).

Did you get the User Manual with the detector? Read it at least 2-3 times to familiarise yourself with the terminology and settings.

I did practice 'finding' some gold coins and other metal objects in the backyard to get used to the machine and its responses to different metals and objects. I used my wedding ring for 'target' practice also (wife not happy). Maybe this will help.

Just get used to the feel and operation of the detector, it will come with the more you use it!

I have also attended a Minelab Demo day and they were very helpful with explaining the art of detecting.

Also, see if you can find SA_Bogan on U-Tube. He has a couple of good videos there that he has posted with this detector - mainly for beach detecting from memory. But still good to watch and learn.

Have fun and keep us informed of your progress.

Cheers. Monty.

Hi BW,
Congrats on your purchase, the 705 can be used in both very basic modes and of course in what initially appear to be more 'complicated' settings ..... not really complicated just takes a few practice sessions. I get out in the backyard with mine as often as I can when not out actively detecting. Both the user manual and a Minelab guide can be downloaded from the Minelab site if you don't already have them. Confidence will come with repeated usage BUT do accept that although it will find gold it is essentially an adventure or treasure detector, really great for parks and beaches but also OK on non mineralised ground.
Practice and enjoy,
Cheers Tom

Congrats on the purchase, the 705 is well known as a good all-rounder, and is a good detector to get you started off. At least you have the option to go park or beach hunting should gold detecting become too frustrating or too long between finds. It will be best in areas with shallow bedrock around old gold workings, and detecting around spoil piles, shafts and mullock dumps. The deeper ground and areas riddled with hot rocks, are probably best left for PI detectors. It can take a while to get your ear in on deciphering between a hot rock and a genuine target, but some areas with prolific amounts of hot rocks will simply be too frustrating for a VLF detector, no matter what make or model, especially in some areas of Vic. :)

Cheers for the replies. Im hunting thru some youtube vids right now. And ive downloaded the manuals which ive had a read thru.
The area ill be working is private property which was hit pretty hard in the gold rush days. There are old diggings, mounds and holes all over the place. The property has been in my mates family for over 100 years and probably hasnt been worked in that time.
Cant wait to see what happens, and ive got my eye on a pinpointed to.
Good point about the parks Goldpick, plenty of those around to snap up some coins!
Thanks again

Sa bogan a member here on pa did an overview of 705 vids on youtube. Some good tips in there I'm sure, seems to be a serious cat on the detector and coins.

Latest posts