Proving up Ground with Pans and Buckets.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Firstly let me start by saying this is private property, I was asked by the owner to 'prove' a certain area for him to see if it was gold bearing, it showed most of the hallmarks for part of an exposed lead.
In the first pic you can see the benefits of a 'pelican pick' used widely in the mining industry (underground) these babies can move a lot of soil in a short amount of time, they can be purchased in Victoria from various stores, mine came from Blackwoods,
Anyways, this project is just to 'prove up the ground' it's not a full blown Au hunt for the day, it's merely just random sampling.

1440227457_image.jpg

1440227487_image.jpg

1440227559_image.jpg

The pic here shows the top layer removed and some harder white clays underneath, I like these clays some 10km away nuggets have been found by detecting and they were dominantly in these coloured clays mixed with Quartz, so I took a sample of this and placed it in a bucket taking extra care as to only take that specific layer.
1440227674_image.jpg
1440227716_image.jpg

Moving right along, the next sample was taken from an area that wasn't showing large amounts of Quartz on the surface, upon close inspection you can see fine gravels, once again seperate bucket, seperate sample.

1440227734_image.jpg
1440227753_image.jpg

Now with five different soil type samples from different depth layers and locations it's time to start washing up, not having a lot of time I've decided to run the samples through pans and the dam at home I have set up for processing, I've ran out of CT18 truck wash, so I'm using the much harsher CT14, remember, we are just proving the ground, so we want to see the slightest bit of colour, the amount of gold is of no concern at the moment, just colour.
The CT14 helps break down the dirt ten fold above no detergents at all, this is the main reason I dug a seperate dam at home for washing and processing, mix the dirt vigorously, and I mean vigorously, you want to break down any clay clods in that sample.

1440227778_image.jpg
1440227811_image.jpg
1440227831_image.jpg

And these are the clods I'm talking about, these pesky buggers are the only reason I don't take the time to set up a banker, without physically breaking these by hand they would simply roll out the over size end of your banker, the pic that shows the sample in the pan is usually where I stop panning, all heavies will be caught up in the riffles of the pan and or at the base, this sample is now returned to its original bucket for treating later with fresh water from the rain water tank.

1440227856_image.jpg
1440227877_image.jpg

You will have to zoom in on this pic, close inspection will show a tiny speci that was caught up in one of those mongrel hard clay clods that I showed earlier..............................VIGOROUSLY break down the dirt, otherwise you will be wasting your time

1440227958_image.jpg

Right, more to come, it seems I'm having trouble load this all up in one hit...................as a really big Austrian dude once said "I'll be back"

Nice work mate, looks like a bit of fun anyway. I wish the pelican shovel had a longer handle for me.. I wasn't kept in consideration wh3n it was manufactured :p

I think I can see the gold in the quartz there..just a slight yellow orange.

Your gonna have to soak the soil in water overnight or get onto a puddler.

Is this on open flat paddocks by any chance?

That's the best prospectors hand I've seen in a while mate, the kransky's I just ate for tea have less meat than that :eek:

Riteo, mrs dwt chores, DONE 8.(
Teehee, I mean cutting some firewood and getting the roast on!
1440231175_image.jpg

Keeping the samples seperate is vitally important as to being able to distinguish as to where the gold bearing layer might be hiding
1440231274_image.jpg

Check your hands after breaking up clay clods, zoom in, just below the piece of Quartz piece is a tiny flat piece of gold, time and time again I've seen prospectors break the soil down and rinse their hand in the creek or dam not in the pan, this would be the perfect reason to stop that habit.
1440231450_image.jpg

And this is what we're left with from our five original samples, usually I write a number on the buckets to help designate where they came from in the original dig, I didn't this time :|
I was pretty confident where/if there was any colour it would be in the lighter coloured clays,
1440231684_image.jpg

Another zoom pic, a flat piece can be seen sitting on top of the white sands, note the colour of the concentrates, this sample is from the bucket that held the White clays, the lack of black sands I found surprising, honestly it threw me a bit of a curve ball.
1440231978_image.jpg

What were left with at the end of our sampling, one speci and two small flat specs, the speci is confusing, especially when two flat smooth pieces have rocked up as well, I can only have at a guess that when its been deposited it has been caught up in come clays or broken off a larger piece before the creek/river has changed its path.
Back to reality, time to split some 30 plus blows Box wood for the fire, good arvo out and a new area found to be gold bearing, the owners stoked and already talking PL, good luck to him and Im looking forward to the next ground prove up.
1440232209_image.jpg

Bullvye, your not helping ;)

AtomRat said:
Nice work mate, looks like a bit of fun anyway. I wish the pelican shovel had a longer handle for me.. I wasn't kept in consideration wh3n it was manufactured :p

I think I can see the gold in the quartz there..just a slight yellow orange.

Your gonna have to soak the soil in water overnight or get onto a puddler.

Is this on open flat paddocks by any chance?

That's the best prospectors hand I've seen in a while mate, the kransky's I just ate for tea have less meat than that :eek:
Soaking is one way to be able to help break down clods for sure mate, then there is no worries running the material through a banker, obviously the Walbanker has the advantage of being able to be raked to help break clods down,
These samples were taken from on top of a hill, not a small hill quite a large one actually, common mistake made is some people believing that ancient rivers are low in some areas, sometimes they're not, in this case this lead sits some 100foot above the general area, I was tempted to go for the low lying areas but a quick walk around told me to sample up the high points, I'm not saying there is no gold down low, but there is a shite load of top soil to get through first. :)
Got a giggle out of the hand comment :lol:

Great post, thanks for sharing! I've noticed in a couple of places I prospect that there's little or no black sand in some lead materials. I guess it all depends what mineral associations came with the gold!

Latest posts