Prospecting in Wee Jasper

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My eldest boy has been on my back about taking him gold panning for the first time and on deeper thought, its probably something fun we can both get into.

Im in ACT and seems a popular place is Wee Jasper. Can anyone confirm if prospecting is still allowed there?

Have done a search in the forum and saw a comment from someone saying its prohibited. Cant find any other info here or on google searching.

Just want to do some panning and perhaps do a little digging.

Thanks!!
Jason

Jase01 said:
Hi everyone!

My eldest boy has been on my back about taking him gold panning for the first time and on deeper thought, its probably something fun we can both get into.

Im in ACT and seems a popular place is Wee Jasper. Can anyone confirm if prospecting is still allowed there?

Have done a search in the forum and saw a comment from someone saying its prohibited. Cant find any other info here or on google searching.

Just want to do some panning and perhaps do a little digging.

Thanks!!
Jason
Hi mate. You must have some type of govt thing there or the likes in the way of forestry or parks that can give you the relevant info on it like we have here in Vic. Who ever looks after your forests or parks should have the info for sure.

Go to Oallen Ford on the Shoalhaven River Jase,you will have a great day and you will find some gold,very fine gold but gold all the same.

As far as I know, it is closed to prospectors now. The one place it was allowed was trashed by irresponsible and greedy prospectors who dug large holes in the bank and bed and didn't backfill. Wrecked it for all of us.

There are several threads here asking about wee jasper, but all lead to dead ends. Oallen ford is as good a place as any for beginners and kids.

Baz.

Awesome. Thanks guys, lucky I checked.

Well head out to one of your suggested areas in the next few weeks.

Anywhere on the Shoalhaven River downstream from Cooma road crossing is worth a pan. Warri bridge is the closest spot from Canberra.
Good luck and most importantly, enjoy yourself :)

Goldpin Prospecting said:
Anywhere on the Shoalhaven River downstream from Cooma road crossing is worth a pan. Warri bridge is the closest spot from Canberra.
Good luck and most importantly, enjoy yourself :)

Thanks heaps!!

Like Eldorado said, Oallen Ford is a good spot to find some colour in your pan. A bit further away, but Tuena is good for a weekend away and you are free to roam most of the creek. If campings not your thing the general store has a cabin behind it that they rent out on Airbnb, you can just stroll down to the creek from there. Bombay Crossing is another spot you can find a bit of colour, also on the Shoalhaven.

Latest posts