Private land needs to be opened up.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at Google Earth maps of the goldfields in Victoria I was amazed how many historical alluvial gullies and reefs are on private land . Really the Victorian Government had no right to sell off this land to private landholders and these goldfields should have been kept as Crown Land for all Australians to use in perpetuity. Perhaps we can petition the government to give holders of the Miners Right the right to prospect these historical gullies on private land.

Your observation is right Bob but it'll never happen. If I were a landholder of such ground and a lobby group tried your suggested approach I'd be very upset.

Families have worked these holdings for generations and as such deserve their right to continue imho.

There's plenty of ground for everyone and we as a group need to look after it for ourselves our children and theirs to be able to continue.

oldtimerROB said:
Looking at Google Earth maps of the goldfields in Victoria I was amazed how many historical alluvial gullies and reefs are on private land . Really the Victorian Government had no right to sell off this land to private landholders and these goldfields should have been kept as Crown Land for all Australians to use in perpetuity. Perhaps we can petition the government to give holders of the Miners Right the right to prospect these historical gullies on private land.
I seem to recall the landowner doesn't own the stream, I'm pretty sure you can walk up and work the stream legally. But only the stream.

Bear in mind....when these allotments were sold off, many had been declared dry, too $$$ to continue working, or duffers,....they didn't have the tech. we do today and could be excused for having come to that conclusion.

It got to the point the Gov't made more from Land Sales,and croppin 'n farmin than from Gold...(the country raised on the 'sheep's back' comes to mind). ;)

If you have found likely ground you'd like to walk,...why not just knock on their door and ask?

That's how many others do it...same as shooting etc....

Give it a go,...nowt to lose imo. :Y: ;)

Gypsy

If there is no obvious house or land owner nearby how do you find out who the owner of the land is? Local council?

LC76 said:
If there is no obvious house or land owner nearby how do you find out who the owner of the land is? Local council?

Good question, and yeah that's a good start...or the Lands Title office is another...

Try the first home you come to and explain the matter, they may also tell you who owns it....

Costs nothing to ask... :)

Gypsy

LC76 said:

....... in Victoria and if you are using Geovic then one of the overlays displays the crown parcel numbers and for a smallish fee ($18) you can order a search on any parcel of interest.

casper

Occasional_panner said:
oldtimerROB said:
I seem to recall the landowner doesn't own the stream, I'm pretty sure you can walk up and work the stream legally. But only the stream.

Yes! in Victoria and where many (most) streams occupy a gazetted reserve so many chains wide etc - you will find them delineated on topo maps and also in a layer on Geovic...... you're pretty much okay if you stay within the reserve and didn't actually trespass private land to access it....

OH!.....and check that it's not on the "Exempted" list.

There is an interesting historical connection between the Stream Reserves and the Exempted Rivers and Streams List but thats lot's a whole other topic.......

casper

LC76 said:

I just look up the Google maps app and it shows all the lots of land and boundaries. Switch to the Earth mode and you get a satellite view of the land you are interested in and it will show houses, paddocks and forrest.You need good eyesight to see the faint grey boundary lines.

Occasional_panner said:
oldtimerROB said:

Occasional_Panner. They own the gully if it is on their land. I concede we should not disturb and dig holes if the gully is in a cleared paddock devoid of trees and bushes as the disturbance will cause erosion and dirty streams. I am only referring to forest areas where the farmers do not use that land,except for gathering firewood. The shallow gullies were rich in nuggets and any disturbance there will not cause erosion because of the leaf litter on the forest floor and these gullies are surrounded by forest. I have been doing a lot of research on possible sites for detecting before the onrush of winter and I was staggered by all the rich alluvial gullies in private hands.

+ casper. Yes there are a number of streams south of Ballarat where you can see a narrow reserve along creeks. But this is because creeks carry water all winter and the reserves are there to protect the vegetation along the creeks.Gullies are normally dry all year long except at times of flooding.. once every few years, and are normally part of private land without the use of bordering reserves.Anyway I fear these reserves are so overgrown that you can not use a detector.

You wanna get on private land you ask fella. It's that simple.
No, private land shouldn't be "opened up" for every every greedy tosser who sees an opportunity to make a buck. It's private for a reason, people have worked generation after generation to make it that way, whether its an old wood lot or a Ballarat backyard.
To suggest that it should be opened up to anyone who wants to walk it is an insult to the landholders who've done that work, and to be honest with you "mate" it's as good as theft, they've paid for the land and the gold under it and if they don't want you there then you've got no right to be there.
If you honestly reckon it that the government shouldn't have sold off land to the settlers then I'd suggest you nut up, buy it all and open a free for all for anyone who wants to have a dig.
Me, I'll just ask and slide a bit of colour their way for the privilege.

bend, you got my meaning out of all proportion.They should not own the forests with the gold.They can keep their frigging paddocks and I resent being called a thief.The government sold us out in the first place.This country was built on giving everyone a fair go. Its all about the rich getting richer and the Aussie battler gets very little. I am not going to cow tow to a bloody pastoralist for permission to excercise my birthright.

oldtimerROB said:
bend, you got my meaning out of all proportion.They should not own the forests with the gold.They can keep their frigging paddocks and I resent being called a thief.The government sold us out in the first place.This country was built on giving everyone a fair go. Its all about the rich getting richer and the Aussie battler gets very little. I am not going to cow tow to a bloody pastoralist for permission to excercise my birthright.

They paid the money, they did the work, it's their land. Pastoralist or holiday home it don't matter. Nor does paddock or bush mate, or for that matter suburban backyard. You want to get on someone elses land you ask, simple as that. Don't expect the government to "open it up" when they say no because you think you've got some "right" to it. You've no more right to it than I do, and the indigenous people would no doubt have a word or two about either of our rights to it.

As to the aussie battler mate, well I'm not complaining that the government should let me walk someone elses land because I feel a little hard done by, am I? You want it then you do the work, that or set an example and invite all comers to dig in YOUR backyard for anything worth a buck.

Latest posts