Enthusiastic & Long Overdue Newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's just before 3am and I simply can't sleep. This morning I will head into Sydney to pick up a motorhome and head down to the Victorian Goldfields to try my hand at protecting for the first time. I am 53yo and have wanted to do this for as long as I remember, but life has always got in the way.

I've watched every Youtube Video I can find on prospecting, bought a heap of equipment (in order try out various techniques), and can't wait until I discover my first piece of gold.

I know a 7m motorhome is far from the most logical vehicle of choice, but I have planned this trip on very short notice and will make it work.

First stop will probably be Bendigo, and then I'll work it out from there...

I decided to skip NSW on this trip as the NSW Government seem much more restrictive to prospecting techniques. Also, important info such as Crown Land locations seems to be harder to locate than for Victoria.

I've grown the requisite full beard and have my miner rights licence in hand. Nothing can stop me now! :pickshovel:

Go for it Allthatshines!!

And a big welcome to P.A. and good luck and well done to you.
Please keep us boring types informed about your travels and finds, so we can live vicariously through you. :) :)

Thanks for the welcoming comments everyone.

The motorhome is now parked in my driveway. I will probably head off early tomorrow morning to Victoria.

Three of the numerous deliveries I had ordered online have not arrived yet (some pans, sieves and a black widow prospecting shovel). I'm going to have to do some more shopping (in real shops with humans) when I arrive at the gold fields. I believe there is a gold prospecting shop in Bendigo.

I also ordered a small drone to film from above the area I will be fossicking - it may even help identity good locations. Apparently it is due to be delivered today (via a different courier then the other stuff). I've packed my photography stuff, but I want this trip to be more about finding gold then photographing it. We will see.

A 3.5K generator (to power the motorhome) I bought the other day wont fit in the motorhome without removing it's wheels. Then only just if i drap it up an improvised ramp into the living area. You'd think a 7m+ motorhome would have some storage underneath. Nope, stuff all....

One technique I look forward to trying is bedrock crevice vacuuming. One of my new toys is a potable (battery operated) wet / dry vacuum.

Can't wait to get started. :goldnugget:

Allthatshines said:
One technique I look forward to trying is bedrock crevice vacuuming. One of my new toys is a potable (battery operated) wet / dry vacuum.

I'd be careful with that mate, certainly wouldn't advertise, good luck with everything else though!

Welcome aboard Allthatshines. The GT is a great place to lose yourself for the day (sometimes Literally) :)
Enjoy your new hobby :goldnugget: :goldpan: :pickshovel:

AussieChris said:
Allthatshines said:

I'd be careful with that mate, certainly wouldn't advertise, good luck with everything else though!

Hi Chris,

May I ask why you wouldn't advise it?

It seems to be growing in popularity from what I have watched on YouTube.

If you are talking about disobeying NSW rules, fair enough, but I was planning to do it down in Victoria where it is perfectly legal.

Thanks

Good luck in the GT allthatshines

I wouldn't be following that knob on YouTube using a vacuum to prospect. You can check out the permitted tools on earth resorces victoria. The same place you would of got your miners rights from

:goldnugget:

HippyProspecting said:
Good luck in the GT allthatshines

I wouldn't be following that knob on YouTube using a vacuum to prospect. You can check out the permitted tools on earth resorces victoria. The same place you would of got your miners rights from

:goldnugget:

Thanks HippyProspecting

Allthatshines said:
AussieChris said:
Allthatshines said:

Hi Chris,

If you are talking about disobeying NSW rules, fair enough, but I was planning to do it down in Victoria where it is perfectly legal.

Thanks

I'd do some research into it being perfectly legal, I'm pretty sure it falls under dredging. It's one thing to use a hand pump but vacuuming adds mechanical advantage, and as far as Youtubers the main wanker that was doing it is a joke and threatened the lives of a few good folk on here after being questioned.

G'day mate welcome to PA :Y: leave the vacuum at home it's a no no, and we DON'T need people making it harder than it already is by ignoring the regulations. All the best when you get to Vic :beer:

AussieChris said:
Allthatshines said:
AussieChris said:
Allthatshines said:

Hi Chris,

Thanks

I'd do some research into it being perfectly legal, I'm pretty sure it falls under dredging. It's one thing to use a hand pump but vacuuming adds mechanical advantage, and as far as Youtubers the main self lovin sort of guy that was doing it is a joke and threatened the lives of a few good folk on here after being questioned.

Fair enough. I know there are some "special characters" on YouTube that are often off their medication. I will take on your advice and be careful to what I pay attention. :Y:

Swinging & digging said:
Be cautious trusting U-Tube videos as a source of whats allowable with State Regulations.
We have U-Tube clowns destroying Creek banks with High bankers and claiming its legal when its not. :eek:

Victoria will end up with NSW restrictions if this kind of thing keeps going on. 8.(

I hope Vic. doesn't end up like NSW, the nanny state. That would be sad.

I checked out Dunolly, Vic yesterday and camped in the bush overnight (in the motorhome), which was peaceful.

I did a few hours with the detector in the afternoon after having driven down from Sydney.

Unfortunately, I didn't find any gold. The bushland I was fossicking looked like a moonscape. You could tell a gazillion people had been through here over the years. Clearly it had been picked clean. :N:

I will head down to Maryborough this morning and check that area out. :cool: :goldnugget: :pickshovel:

Learnt some lessons about false readings with the detector. Also, I might switch-out for th small 5" coil today. I still don't understand the difference to be honest.

Anyway time to pack it up and move out. The sun is nearly up. :sunny:

Latest posts