Gold Detecting, Is it worth getting in to?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj said:
SDc wins hands down for an out of the box experience,
Then,
A GPX 5000,
GPX 4500. Stopped making them now but still a worth while investment,
QED, A prospectors machine, Steep learning curve but so light to swing all day.

VLF,
Gold Monster.
Can drive you nuts until you master it.
Quite capable
Then to your Multi target machines.
NOX 800,
Nokta,
These machines are a relic machine mainly but will find gold if you are patient enough.

King Daddy is a GPZ Minelab.

Expensive, Heavy to swing, You end up digging to China but,
Will sniff out Nuggets at a considerable depth.
What about the old xt17000? I have one from when they first came out. I need a new battery pack for it. But woiuld it be ok for beach and parks etc etc

Thank for all the replys gents. I wouldnt buy anything from gumtree. To many scams. I dont expect to make any money from detecting. Just want to get out of sydney for a weekend in the bush and dig around. If i find a few specks thats a bonus. Also thought about a sluice, they seem cheapish. And maybe a trip to Victoria after the Chicom virus has left us.

I have a XT17000 are they good for beach work? Still thinking either SDC or GPX 5000. I'll see how things go.

Cheers

michaeljp said:
What about the old xt17000? I have one from when they first came out. I need a new battery pack for it. But woiuld it be ok for beach and parks etc etc

They were good back then and they'd still be OK today I reckon, even for gold if you can just walk over it. :Y:

Is it worth getting into?

4 days last week I went camping around woods point and took my Gold Monster 1000 and pans with me. If you go hunting expecting gold you will be disappointed, a lot, but if you use it as a excuse to get out then it is a great hobby. I spent a week before going looking at maps and googling the area and planning what I wanted to do.

I saw Jericho, Red Jacket and Blue Jacket, all historic now deserted towns. I explored the old workings and even manged to speak to an old bloke whose family used to live in Jericho who was passing through. Spent an hour just chatting and learnt a lot, some guys just love chatting if you show interest. Told me if searched hard enough there was an old ww2 bren gun carrier somewhere. Said it was ok to detect but not pan as part of thompson flow. So detected some of the old alluvial grounds and some of the shallow workings without luck. Walked around the Victor spur track and found the old mine. Even checked out a few audits running the detector along the quartz veins.

It's a hobby that you can really get lost in and even be a money sink. The advice I give is to buy a basic machine and try it out.
Read these forums because some of these guys really know there stuff, I have a few pages linked on my phone and am continually rereading info.

G'day

Gold detecting is like most hobbies, there are lessons to be learnt and money to be spent if you want to have some success, the gold is not the be all and end all of it either and even though its always nice to get some gold but you have to be enjoying it for other reasons as well, if you are out there fretting on just getting the gold alone then its no different that any other job and it can lose its gloss rather quickly believe me.

The main benefits that come with the hobby are just being in the bush and enjoying living a relaxed lifestyle, for me I always feel at home in the bush and really enjoy the peace and quiet and it brings me back to earth, having a yarn with the mates around the fire at night with a beer or two, and stoking up the fire just before dawn enjoying a coffee while watching the sun come up on a cool and quiet morning is the best experience in the world, I often find it difficult when I have to return to suburban life after a couple of weeks in the bush.

The Sdc is a great detector and very easy to use, and I would say will give you the best chance of getting a few bits of gold early in your experience, just relax and go with the flow the gold will come when it comes, to answer your question of whether or not the hobby is worth getting in to, well that will depend on what you want to get out of it, the gold is definitely harder to get these days and I would say that if that's all I did it for then I would give it away but the big draw card that keeps me going back year after year for more that thirty years now is the adventure and just still being able to get out into the bush for the rest of the experience, little by little the powers that be are slowly shutting our freedoms down so if you are thinking about doing it just go ahead and do it because its hard to say how much longer we will be able to.

cheers and good luck

stayyerAU

grubstake said:
Bush said:
grubstake said:
Bush said:
This One on Gumtree just came up a few hours ago GPX5000 for $3800.
Looks really good Nick could be Chinese but don`t think so & you even get the Pick.
link below;
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/franklin/miscellaneous-goods/gpx-5000-minelab/1264938312

Mate, a Gumtree advert with 6 pics, none of which give you a decent look at the actual detector itself??? :rolleyes:
I'd treat this one with very considerable care if I was a potential buyer. :N:

Yeh ! You did say that about the SDC in the beginning & in some respect ``You `` were quite right.
It is possible that 5000 could be a bargain.
A disgruntled seller that just has given up the ghost she could well be.
Not shore if Chinese GPX5000 are out there but i guess if Chinese under water drones are mapping our coast line any things possible.

They certainly are, see this lengthy post from 2014 to date, for further discussion:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5333

Well I`ll be Damed GS.
Thanks for the links. Two of the links throw a blank The site my have been hacked.
Some trusting people like myself would never had thought cn would infiltrate the Hobby World.
Especially machines as complex as Detectors.
They have done the same to Les Paul Guitars regardless that there are genuine LP copies.
One would think that cn are so good at reproducing copies of International products that they would just market their own.
I Wonder if the Head Honchos in Beijing are aware of the products leaving their Country.
A Serious Concern in my Mind.
Bugga ! now `I` have doubts on my 4500 as the numbering does not look anything like the verified 5000.
She`s an Oldee so I assume it is OK. :(

steve f said:
What about the GPZ while your at it.
Yeah good point Steve , Gotta balance the books and keep to budget . Idea is to have a PI or 2 depending on the bundled price and add a cheap but capable VLF to give the option of detecting beaches, parks, farms when not on the goldfields , just to broaden the detecting horizons :Y:

Is detecting worth getting into?

Worth can be looked at a number of ways.

Detectors are not cheap.
The health benefits of getting out detecting may help you to stay fitter & possibly live longer.
You will not get rich quick.
Finding a relic that someone handled 200 years ago is quite an awesome experience.
Standing in a spot as you take a breather while digging, looking at the nature surrounding you can be breathtaking.

It gets down to what you want out of it really. For me it's a no brainer.

Add to that some of the wonderful people you will meet along the way & the solution is yes.

I personally more enjoy parks etc looking for coins, jewellery and bottle tops! Gold always required a big drive followed by zero gold. My bad luck!

Is it worth buying a detector and enjoying being outdoor? Yes. :perfect:

yep ! Wild Dogs, Ferrel Pigs & Snakes.
Mosquitos, Midges, Flies , Paper Wasps and Bull Ants.
And Sometimes even the Roo`s will come along to mount you.
It can be a bit daunting in some places at times.
Having an off side maybe of comfort but he can`t hear the calls of help.
As he has his head phones on.
And did I mention The Game Hunters.
But Hey it`s probably safer than walking the streets with Covid.
Nice to be alone at times.
Would be nice if anyone has any up dates or sightings on the Ferrel Animal & Snake Encounters.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Ive read all the comments and taken all on board. Ive been traveling for the past 30 odd years when i can, so getting out bush is one of my fav things to do and when i get a new detector it will be a bit more enjoyable.

Totally agree with Bush, be prepared to be bitten, always have a 'snake bite kit' and know your first aid, and sometimes the bites are only from bull ants, especially when accidentally stepping on one of their many nests.

As for worth it, Generally NO, when it comes to finding gold. But if your happy to get outdoors and prepared for the above, love enjoying nature, noticing history in the areas, then it's definitely worth it.

I've used Garrett, GPX, SDC and GPZ. It's not the detector necessarily it's the research, and a lot of time.

Lastly, be prepared for 'adjustment' injuries when you start out, and then there are more long term injuries that could happen.

Overall though, have fun and be safe, don't forget to at least tell someone where you are. It's difficult to find lost prospectors, because they tend to keep it secretive. Going with a friend or group, has many pluses that i can't recommend enough.

Lots of pluses, for me a big one is this, get to the spot, put the headphones on, work to a plan ( even a loose plan) and get into the "zone" , it's like meditation, your mind is clear because you are working with a purpose and only concentrating on the sound of the threshold and watching where you walk. It's good for the soul. It's a bit like swimming laps in a pool.

I have always recovered the cost of my detectors by getting coins off the beach . But you do need a coin detector . I did use a Garett Deepseeker to begine with , before 1 and 2 dollar coins . Cost of 9 volt batteries stopped me from using it . To day it is not easy to get coins off the beach . Less people using coins and more people using detectors . I will only go on the beach if the sand is washed away , I am using a NOX 800 which can also be used for gold . Treat it as a hobby , many people spend thousands on their hobby and get no return . I have found a few gold rings .....

Latest posts