Pops old sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greglz86

Greg Anderson
Reaction score
I dug out pops old sluice out of dads shed. He got a decent amount of gold over the years with this and his pans. Basically from what i understand you put your gravel in the top and some water and rock it. Personally i think it would be a lot of work. Its great how technology has made things so much easier.

Greg

1375096180_img_1387.jpg
1375096211_img_1388.jpg
1375096232_img_1389.jpg

Theres some blokes out at Hill End that have a larger version of the cradle/rocker box set up at Tambaroora sometimes. Not sure if they still actually use it or just do demo's for school's etc. The day I seen it set up a bus full of kids turned up so I took off as I think they were more interested in my detector beeping madly on the junk near the creek :lol: If I see them set up there again I'll see if I can hang around for a look.

It's defiantly a interesting looking bit of gear. I wouldn't have minded been able to see this one in action. But looking at it now it will probably fall apart if used. But it looks very easy to make and cheap and could probably make one for nothing using scraps from around the shed.

I have a set of plans for one, when I get around to making one I will let you know, put a pump and bit of water pipe and you have the predecessor of the highbanker

Technology is only as complicated as we make it!

Cheers, Tone

I washed out 2 grams from a cradle patch in the Vic diggings a couple of years ago. Tried another one not long ago only got a dots.
They made the diggers income go through the roof.

High Bankers are your modern day Cradles/rocker box. They can wash a lot more material than the old timers gear.
Here's a couple of pic's of my Banker.
Took me a long time to design it. Built to last. And most important gets the GOLD.
1375969830_image.jpg
1375969859_image.jpg
1375969908_image.jpg
1375969936_image.jpg
1375969993_image.jpg
1375970026_image.jpg
1375970053_image.jpg

i like the covered spray bars - no shovel damage there

Is that black material HDPE or PVC for wear resistance ?

Is it detergent in that bottle and is that to break the surface tension or to dissolve clays ?

Do you have a filter before the spray bars or do the end caps come off for cleaning ?

are the grizzly bars also PVC or black paint over stainless and how much gap between them ?

If thats too many questions you're allowed to say " no comment - secret squirrel business "

nice work . i can see a few good features there just from the photos :D

HeadsUp said:
i like the covered spray bars - no shovel damage there

Is that black material HDPE or PVC for wear resistance ?

Is it detergent in that bottle and is that to break the surface tension or to dissolve clays ?

Do you have a filter before the spray bars or do the end caps come off for cleaning ?

are the grizzly bars also PVC or black paint over stainless and how much gap between them ?

If thats too many questions you're allowed to say " no comment - secret squirrel business "

nice work . i can see a few good features there just from the photos :D

Yeah the hopper and grizzly is HDPE , little bottle has non foaming carpet shampoo in it.(%100 bio degradable )
I counter sink the spray bar holes, this prevents holes blocking up.
The grizzly spacing is 16 mm I think?
Caps are removable
Has a quick release inspection tray at the head of sluice, saves doing a full cleanup. If your on the gold your on the gold !
I don't mind the questions
I'm not that secretive
Except some spots I've found over the years.
Ryan

Hello Ryan
just wanted to say that bit of gear looks fantastic.
how much would something like that sell for?
thank you for sharing.
regards trashdigger

trashmagnet said:
Hello Ryan
thank you for sharing.
regards trashdigger
Hi Trashdigger
I'm not manufacturing these at the moment.
Too many labour pains to produce the baby. I'm also not on the forum to sell gear. Not without seeking permission from the administrators of the site. They were selling for around $1400 retail.
This in my mind is too much!
Hence why I stopped selling them.
There is far more cost effective ways to find a lot of gold without over capitalising. I like this forum, in my opinion it is the best on www. I don't want to tell everyone I will be manufacturing them soon,so hang tight. Because I'm not. I'm sure there are many of you that have, like me, been promised the world and given an Atlas.
Honestly the best option is to build your own. I would love to help all the backyard guys to build better equipment and find more gold.
There is a guy on the forum that has put up designs. I haven't had a chance to check them out. When I do I will comment positively.
Talk soon.
Cheers Ryan

mbasko said:
Greglz86 said:
This guy seemed to do pretty good. I think I might start drawing up some plans and have a crack on the shoalhaven river.

Greg

A modern day "rocker box" if you want ideas for a DIY project.

http://www.goldcradle.com/21stcentury.html

I'm pretty much just going to base my design on the Video I posted with just a few small tweaks. Hopefully it will work out. I'm going to draw it up on the nesting CnC at work to make the assembly quick and easy. It will be a fun little project I think :) the bonus will be that it will cost peanuts.

Nice autocad work there ryan :) im a pro/e man myself then over to mastercam.

ITs always nice to draw up an idea and then to build it aswell. Especially when they both come out the same lol

farmeroz said:
Nice autocad work there ryan :) im a pro/e man myself then over to mastercam.

ITs always nice to draw up an idea and then to build it aswell. Especially when they both come out the same lol

Autodesk Inventor Pro ?

you must be a CNC programmer / machinist farmerOz ?

I have just started learning basic G-code so youre probably 20 years ahead of me

bring on the aspirin i say :8

Ryan27 said:
trashmagnet said:
Hello Ryan

regards trashdigger

Too many labour pains to produce the baby. I'm also not on the forum to sell gear. Not without seeking permission from the administrators of the site. They were selling for around $1400 retail.
This in my mind is too much!
Hence why I stopped selling them.

Cheers Ryan

Thats underpriced for the quality in it .