Pinpointers not for detecting over great distances

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G,day all , Could some please explain why they want their pinpointer to detect a greater distance ?? The name of the device is self explanitary PINPOINT ????? Your detector coil finds the target in an area ,say 200mm dia and Your pinpointer narrows it down to say 25mm to save digging a200mm plug ,,eg2 Your detector has found a small nugget .5 gr under the coil ,you dig a hole to find the target 400mm x 400mm 300mm deep Your coil tells You the taget is still in the hole ..If you had a pinpointer with too much power and it went off when You entered the hole what would be the use ???????

Regards L/R

Hi LR.

I'll take a stab at this :)

I guess your referring to those who have modified there Garrett pinpointers with metal strips or some other device to increase the depth. Maybe depth was not the ultimate goal, but it comes as a side benefit. The modifications I have seen, augment the the polar response of the field emitted from the pinpointer. The field becomes more directive in the forward direction and reduced from the side. The increase in directivity improves the poinpointing ability. The downside is the side field has been reduced, but many people are not interested in the side field anyway, only the forward field.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers James

Nice info! Thinking about getting a decent pinpointer to use for crevicing. Does anybody know which brand would be most suited.Cheers John

Nug4me2 said:
Nice info! Thinking about getting a decent pinpointer to use for crevicing. Does anybody know which brand would be most suited.Cheers John

Both the Minelab and Garrett pinpointers are pretty much on par with each other, so I recommend either of these. Its probably best to stay away from the cheapies as may be disappointed.

I own a Garrett but have heard they can cause interference with some Minelab detectors. I've had no issues with the Garrett and would buy another.

Cheers,
Nugget

Thanks for the info guys,will do some more homework on these models and make a decision.Cheers!

Ivanll,

I tried looking up that pinpointer and found this:
file.php

No wonder it's the best. ;)

I want one of them AND a sonic screwdriver.

Ditherer and Son said:
Ivanll,

I tried looking up that pinpointer and found this:
http://www.findmall.com/file.php?52,file=144897

No wonder it's the best. ;)

I want one of them AND a sonic screwdriver.

Hold on to your money there boys.
I have it on good info i got from a friend of a friend's mother whoes neice was going out with the blokes cousin that invented it.
THE NEXT MODEL WILL INCORPORATE A SELF RE-GENERATING FLUX CAPACITOR.
Also a usb port for matter transportation is on the cards. So if you dont like the where your digging, just enter the co-ordinants and it will transport you and your gear there.
Happy Days.... :cool:

Those crazy Germans, I knew they would make awesome detectors as well, they
make great audio gear. Hope the next model makes coffee too as well as being
able to transport back to pre Aussie gold rush days.

Ended up buying the Minelab pinpointer from 'Detect A Den' Batemans Bay along with some other goodies. Great shop and looked after with a good discount.

G,day Nug4me2,

Ya won't be sorry with that one ,I picked up one 3 weeks ago and it's more than earnt its keep so far ,as I mentioned in a previous article I found coins that had been dug up by other detectorists and lost on top of the grass !

L/R

I have 2 Garret & 1 Minelab Pin Pointer. I initially bought the 2 Garrets for both my wife and myself, but found they caused too much interference with my 4500 (now upgraded to a 5000) & my wifes 5000. and that is with the pin pointers turned off. The Minelab unit only causes interfrence if your detector is too close when turned on. They both appear to be equal in depth & sensitivity. Hope this helps. :cool:

Cheers,thanks for that.Sounds like i have made the right choice.
Now....to get out there and find some targets!

I have used both extensivly, currently the Minelabs been getting a run since before xmas and is holding up ok. My 1st Garrett Pro pointer started playing up after 9 months of heavy work, but after a rest it seems to be all good again. I also carry a brand new spare and its another Garrett pro pointer, i really cant justify the extra bucks spent for the Profind.

At the end of the day they are much of a muchness to me. :)

Latest posts