Pin-Pointer Or Coiltek 10"x5" For SDC2300.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok guys, which should I buy? Im happy hunting small stuff, but cant decide which would be better. Stick with the standard coil and get a pin-pointer or go for the 10x5 Coiltek coil and not get the pin-pointer. Maybe down the track I will get the other, perhaps Santa might come this year. Anyway, opinions please?

Trace4369 said:
Ok guys, which should I buy, Im happy hunting small stuff, but cant decide which would be better. Stick with the standard coil and get a pinpointer or go for the 10 x 5 coiltek coil and not get the pinpointer. Maybe down the track I will get the other, perhaps Santa might come this year. Anyway, opinions please.

Pinpointers are for coin/ring hunting, they won't help locate tiny gold. Your SDC is way more sensitive than any available pinpointer.

I have been using an SDC 2300 as my main detector for the last four years, going out at least once a week when time allows. However holiday breaks, appointments and the like mean I don't always keep up that average but I would make some where between thirty and forty trips a year. I agree with the two previous posts and advise you to save your money. The standard coil is great while you are learning and a pin pointer is not needed at all. Read your manual and learn to pinpoint the target with the detector. That will help you recover your targets more efficiently.
If you're keen to buy something a hand held gps unit to help you navigate your way around the bush and find your way back to the car would be my priority over a new coil and pin pointer. I have never needed a pinpointer but I use my gps nearly every trip.

Cheers Bob.

bob said:
I have been using an SDC 2300 as my main detector for the last four years, going out at least once a week when time allows. However holiday breaks, appointments and the like mean I don't always keep up that average but I would make some where between thirty and forty trips a year. I agree with the two previous posts and advise you to save your money. The standard coil is great while you are learning and a pin pointer is not needed at all. Read your manual and learn to pinpoint the target with the detector. That will help you recover your targets more efficiently.
If you're keen to buy something a hand held gps unit to help you navigate your way around the bush and find your way back to the car would be my priority over a new coil and pin pointer. I have never needed a pinpointer but I use my gps nearly every trip.

Cheers Bob.
Thanks Bob, when lockdown ends Ill get back out and keep at it. Everyone is so helpful on this forum, really appreciate your input.

I have all 3 aftermarket coils for the sdc and love the 14x9 as my go to coil I have just recently come back from a 40E permit spot that I have put in and the best coil was the 10x5 by far due to large rocks everywhere I love the stock coil but it is great to have a choice cheers Muk.

Muk said:
I have all 3 aftermarket coils for the sdc and love the 14x9 as my go to coil I have just recently come back from a 40E permit spot that I have put in and the best coil was the 10x5 by far due to large rocks everywhere I love the stock coil but it is great to have a choice cheers Muk.
Can't argue with having some coil choice but I think Trace has had the machine for only a week or so?
Probably better to get a good feel of the stock set up before rushing out getting aftermarket coils etc. IMO.
The SDC works very well as is too.

As an addition to the GPS suggestion, if going into remoter places, a PLB can also be a wise investment.

We have three SDCs, all worn out now and waiting for me to fit the new shaft and knuckle bits and pieces. I've never been interested in aftermarket coils but I did modify the audio socket on one of the machines to get rid of that stupid little earphone attachment that is a never ending problem. The modified machine has a " socket for a standard earphone connection. We will often use the SDC as a pinpointer if digging a deep target and it's a lot better than the purpose made pinpointer.

1629809202_received_1114541752410429.jpg
One of my detecting mates uses an SDC with the 14x9 coiltek coil, and he is kicking goals with it. His best nugget is 11.5 gms and at good depth, along with lots of smalls and speccies.

Trace4369 said:
Ok guys, which should I buy, Im happy hunting small stuff, but cant decide which would be better. Stick with the standard coil and get a pinpointer or go for the 10 x 5 coiltek coil and not get the pinpointer. Maybe down the track I will get the other, perhaps Santa might come this year. Anyway, opinions please.

G'day

The Sdc is a great little detector, and if I were using it for my main machine I would of course consider another coil option, my choice would be either the 11" round or the 14x9 coiltek, for small gold its hard to beat the Sdc with the stock coil but ground coverage is limited, when I considered these coil options for my Sdc I was thinking that the coiltek 11" round would give it better depth and it would still retain fairly good sensitivity without too much added weight, then on the other hand the 14x9 would give better ground coverage, fair depth and sensitivity but then I thought that the added weight might be a factor in the choice as the Sdc is not the most ergonomically comfortable machine already so in the end considered the 11" round to be the coil I would go for.

I didn't go ahead with that plan to get a larger coil for it because I also use a Gpx 4500 as well and have many coil choices for that, also wanted to still be able to fold the Sdc up completely to carry on the postie bike.

As far as the pin pointer goes I think it would get far less use for now than the bigger coil option would.

cheers

stayyerAU

The 10 x 5 advantage is the centre mount, bit easier to use but no obvious improvement in sensitivity or performance, you can get into slightly tighter spaces but its an expensive couple inch.

The 11 w from what I saw was no big increase in depth, so if your hearts set on a coil get the 14 x 9 but its bitch heavy on an sdc imo, youll still want to pass and clean with stock then add the bigger coil, it will miss little pices the stock will find and easier getting rid of leadshot with stock. I used both 10x5 and 14x9 for a decent time to assess.

Use the scoop for retrieval and outer ring , this is the most sensitive part of blue coil, no getting around being on your kness with sdc, as for in ground most of targets are in first inch or two, not sure its really going to save you much unless you have another use for it like coin shooting. Run the risk of interference in detecting feild as well.

Thanks everyone again for your opinions. I think you are right, I will wait and keep using as is, of course when I get out of lockdown that is. As you have said I just need to get used to the coil I have got for a while before deciding on anything else. Cheers. T.

Good call, Trace. That standard SDC coil may look a bit puny at first glance, but it's found a multitude of nuggets (not all of them tiny, either!), for other users and I'm sure you will too, once you get the hang of prospecting. :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :goldnugget: :Y:

Latest posts