Park hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh I love virgin territory. Out for a drive and stopped with about an hour of daylight. One small square area maybe 15 X 10 metres of beautiful manicured lawn and a big old shady tree. Left the iffy signals because was having an absolute ball hitting some good targets. About $8 in spendable, unexpected 38 penny, and thought I would crack the $1 Mark with the little coppers. They were ringing solid for the machine today had one go all the way to half way up lesche handle! Running out of daylight I ran over the other couple of grass areas, still some goldies and some solid high tones left to dig.... The pain of waiting to go back is already present. All in all a very generous quick hunt. Here's a pic.
1413538560_img_20141017_202156.jpg

Sorry about the quality that's bloody terrible. I'll try for a better one
1413538962_img_20141017_204112.jpg
:lol:

Love those 1s and 2s as you keep thinking silver coin or $$$$$$$ in the pocket, nicer when they turn out to be silver coins though, and you do get them right beside each other at times, and if you leave them you may be leaving a silver coin in the ground for someone else to find(me maybe,haha).

Haha spot on fellas. They are things only a coin shooter would nod in empathy about. Bit like fishing to me though it doesn't matter what's on the bite as long as it's at the end of my rod. Hahaha.

silver said:
Love those 1s and 2s as you keep thinking silver coin or $$$$$$$ in the pocket, nicer when they turn out to be silver coins though, and you do get them right beside each other at times, and if you leave them you may be leaving a silver coin in the ground for someone else to find(me maybe,haha).

That's the thing Silver. I'm getting 1 and 2 cents down to 6-8 inches so I should hit the silvers. But few and far between. I'm hunting and old park that used to have an unofficial race track, with a grand stand. Used to host the local show until showgrounds where established. Just not getting the ammount of Pre decs and silvers I expected. Sorry to highjack the thread. As you were.

Look for the lowest possible ground Ramjet, some that hasn't been topdressed over time and look to see how exposed the tree roots are or are not. And where they used to park the sulkies or tie the horses up for a while instead of paddocking them.
Ramjet said:
silver said:

That's the thing Silver. I'm getting 1 and 2 cents down to 6-8 inches so I should hit the silvers. But few and far between. I'm hunting and old park that used to have an unofficial race track, with a grand stand. Used to host the local show until showgrounds where established. Just not getting the ammount of Pre decs and silvers I expected. Sorry to highjack the thread. As you were.

It's strange how silvers show up, especially at the larger denomination end. Some times you get on a streak and the go without for a while. That's where the beach hunters have an edge, they will tend to group up. I guess we have to be content with the government making the change to $2 coins, there was never a better currency change than that one for mine. At least when the old silvers do come out its a good chance to have a little happy dance and a bit of a grin on the dial for a little bit. The actual value doesn't quite do that feeling justice. Unless of course it turned out to be a 21/22 over date haha.

I found a Florin today(in front of old mate by a couple of yards)( although I'm sure he did that spot just before I came over), at a spot that I'd done before with the ACE250, new angle/different technique = bonus finds.

Had a quick 20 min swing tonight bloody mozzies had a much better dig than I did! Snagged $5.13 at the church steps and hit two Pennys over 9 inches completely toasted. Heavy mineralization and dry conditions have taken a toll on them, both just discernable as Roo Pennys. The old Fisher impressed me again on deep targets in high GB figures and these were taken on variable signals in the copper/silver range and a little emi overlay to be expected so far in town. Depth was definitely enhanced by the fact they were sitting flat and gave a broad response area. Two of the brown tiddlers were mower clipped and fairly deep which was also exciting. Pin pointing with the large coil is becoming more accurate drawing out these tiny targets to the point where even after the initial slit the pin pointer is still out of range and need to put in a couple of inches to pick up on the target. Put simply I'm getting deeper and more precise as I handle the equipment and look forward to going back over some of my earlier hunts to see what I can pull out.

After seeing the condition of the coins and fewer signals I might put this site further down the hunt order but another successful hunt commenced. No need for the 5 inch here. Heading to a new Park in before work that dates back to the late 1800s so I'm primed for the morning. Hopefully it hasn't seen too many others. :D

Won't matter if it has been hit before Goldtarget,...point being you've never detected it before,... therefore all possibilities are still open.
Happy hunting.

Off around the local area today so half way through. Got about .5 g running the little banker till I got too hot. Wheeled around to the local pub and pulled out the machine for a quick swing. Netted $2.85 and a key date silver in good overall nick 1942 threepence "s" although before giving it a little bath I thought it might be a no mint mark. Unfortunately no such luck, 8 million vs 800k but a nice little pickup all the same. One of the joys of shooting is the older coins to fill the gaping hole left by my grandmother's coin collection that I spent many hours fostering. The piles are growing again hopefully to pass on along my lineage. Best of all it just shows that you don't have to go far too be rewarded. I'll post an update and a couple of pics later after I get back from my proper hunt.
1414043590_img_20141023_165110.jpg

1414043617_img_20141023_165210.jpg

Here we go. I'm about 1/4 of the way done on the grassed areas. The brown tiddlers dominated again and it seems only the poor people are sitting down! All in all good value in terms of targets. Half penny is only average on date side but it was what seemed a mile down in some Sandy soil. I had fluttering ids and thought maybe a chopped 1c had to keep widening the hole to get the depth for the pin pointer to help me out. Thought I might get to China. Then the tag popped out on the next hole and really had me guessing. Any clues? It might be just random stamping but perhaps symbols? Dug it up on a high ID, interesting if nothing else.
1414060057_img_20141023_211705.jpg
1414060076_img_20141023_211726.jpg
1414060094_img_20141023_211750.jpg
1414060111_img_20141023_211809.jpg

A couple of angles in case I'm lucky enough for it to be legit and someone can translate.

I hate how those BB's always scream up near the penny/half penny range, the intensity of the signal often belies the true size of the target,
Pconsidering how small they are. :|

I hear you mate, I had higher hopes for this site and the numbers keep ringing in for little joy. The plan is to hunt out all I can over all my sites. Firstly because I'm a selfish bloke and if anyone is following I want my sites to be completely clean. Secondly I'm flirting with the idea of upgrading or selling my gear off altogether to concentrate on other things. I have some pursuits that involve a bit of an outlay but if I go down that path I don't want my shooting gear just sitting there when the coin could be used for other things. Mrs GT keeps pretty tight reigns on the amount of toys I have so something has to go before something new appears, and I can't bear to part with the CRF just yet.
P.S. It starts with trommel just don't tell her I need to break it to her gently. And sell something. Even though I've already brought it.

Latest posts