Park hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
Little fella was bursting at the seams to have a go of a detector so I set him up in the chip bark. A few pulltabs and steel snot later he was in the groove so decided to show him how to cut plugs and use a pin pointer. Well 20 mins later after cranking up the sens up I was explaining how to mentally grid, meanwhile he had other ideas. Using my id numbers he starts swinging wildly looking for the goldies. Well we caught a few and some junk, all retrieved by him under my watchful eye. So if an under ten kid can cut a plug seems there's no excuses for large unfilled holes. Also popped a button out, I don't get many so it was a nice surprise.
1409227139_img_20140828_215134.jpg

1409227162_img_20140828_215611.jpg

Your a lucky guy to have a little fella.

Thats a very impressive start. Just watch out
He might get addicted :D :D

It's my nephew but he spends a fair amount of time around. It was weird he snagged those and then another $2 just before we left, no silvers? They were all within two shaft lengths of each other in the open, no trees or equipment. First time specking we struck good nuggety gold and first time detecting $7 in goldies, believe me mate he's a good luck charm, and is headed for some disappointing lean times lol. The park is like a minutes walk from home so I'm keen to go back and hunt it out was saving it for a rainy day.

He did better than me with the v3i last sunday.

But my hunts are not easy. I do research areas
But find a truck load of iron bits where old fences
Used to run along a rd that ran for miles, then you
Have the steel off the horse shoes.

Will invest in a deus next for extreme high iron
Junk areas. Keep it up..

I don't have kids either, would nice to show a young fella the ropes to pass on a bit of knowledge. Sounds like you both had a hoot of a time. :)

Wandered down for half hour hit up one corner then dug the high signals for the rest. Silver Ring, junker and a couple of bucks.
1409287952_img_20140829_144848.jpg
1409287981_img_20140829_145010.jpg

Grounds man came down with a frown showed the plugs the finds and promised to not dig the sprinklers! Won someone over today. :D

Didn't think it was worth starting a new thread. .. Had a go at a sports Oval today the amount of trash was a bit overwhelming. Started my hunt over the playground with zero result and 20 mins wasted. Moved to the oval and snagged a sun Baker $1 coin, a first for me, never had an uncovered goldies, jumped the fence and had a quick 2 minute swing, and out popped a penny. Now I should have been a wake up when it was a Roo penny but had a quick spit on it looking for the the date. 1, 9, 3........ It's that a zero? My heart skipped a beat I rushed over to the tap in a flurry in the dying light. Haha 1939, but on the upside I wasn't expecting any predecs, so I'll be back in the daylight to have a real look.

Shared those heart fluttering moments myself as well, seems it's always gunna be a 1930 penny, although that nice Victorian shilling I thought I had one day slowly morphed itself into a 10c piece by the time I finished my hunt and went to do a cleanup,...looked all through the bag everywhere to,...darn.

silver said:
Shared those heart fluttering moments myself as well, seems it's always gunna be a 1930 penny, although that nice Victorian shilling I thought I had one day slowly morphed itself into a 10c piece by the time I finished my hunt and went to do a cleanup,...looked all through the bag everywhere to,...darn.
I know that feeling too ....
That "Brewarrina holey dollar" did it for me :rolleyes:

I went for a detect in a local oval the other day... $17 in goldies was plucked from the field which kind of surprised me. Its just a shame when you get a solid gold coin signal and it turns out to be a bottle top 8.( .

rileymcsmiley said:
I went for a detect in a local oval the other day... $17 in goldies was plucked from the field which kind of surprised me. Its just a shame when you get a solid gold coin signal and it turns out to be a bottle top 8.( .

Onya matey. if only it was that easy, every dog and his man would be tecting. it's a skill that comes with practice and research.

the thrill of the hunt. bit like fishing, some days you catch some, some ya don't. keep at it. ;)

just remember that those bottle tops could actually be gold coins when you don't dig them, I'd say that they might give a slightly different signal somehow though, maybe not overload the system as much as a bottle top would,...I've found a few just because the signal was so nice in scan that I thought I would dig it anyways and bingo it's a ringo.(rymes). All will be revealed to you young ryleymcsmiley with lots of practice over time.

Banged out a quick hunt in a park that had no real tell tale signs of anything good. Hit 6 2c pieces and some late predecs cherry picking the high tones. 1949 threepence, 51 sixpence, 51 half penny. Lots of junky mid tones running the big coil have to go back with the 5 and do a better job. All scored in a 5x5 m area.

Good going GT. the pre-decs are a good indicator as to the value of the site. more time spent and a careful swing should produce. HH.

Well after having that park on my mind and not being able to get there I went to a location I've had zero luck at so far and went the all target dig, unfortunately 2 hrs later I had a pocket full of aluminium bottle tops haha. I finally hit a 50c and a double 20c, had a moment where I dug, retrieved, checked date filled hole, swung back over a few minutes later got another solid 44 signal, scratched my head and thought Shirley Knott, bang another 20c piece 1 year apart same hole. Haha. So after 5 hrs I have yet to crack $1 but now have a mint condition Mellow (yellow) screw top. It's kind of mystifying, the only logical explanation I'm too late, but if I am it must have been one heck of a machine that beat me to the punch, some of those flattened screw tops rang a very true 62 ($2) no flutters. I'm determined to find a goldies or pre dec before I give up on it. There's no honor in admitting defeat.

Gold target do you have a pro pointer? I find that the pointer assists in discovering multiple targets as you try and find the first one.

Yer mate, it does have its little idiosyncrasies like giving up half way through retrieval, and odd falsing here and there, but alas it was not its fault this time just gotta wee bit excited about pulling out the first one I just didn't recheck. I had so many false starts I was in lazy mode (a good 50+) and was going through the motions to be honest. It's weird almost always within the first few minutes, ten at most, I'll pop a coin. The machine excels at giving a clean and consistant signal and after spending a fair chunk of my adolescence hunting I can usually start a hunt in a productive area without too much trouble, but I tell you this park has me completely offside. It has great grass( solid kikuyu regularly watered) beside a lake, 4 electric bbqs, toilet block, old and new seating, an old playground, big shady trees and spread out over a large area. Plenty of indicator junk targets like beaver tail and regularly styled pull tabs, bottle tops, aly screw tops etc. As far as I can tell it ticks all the boxes, but this far (virtually) no coins.

Latest posts