ARB Compressor Issues,

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
In Australia you work to increase the quality of life, In the UK you work to survive, There is no incentive to work here because how we build and make things back home here they spent tax payers money on inventing rules and regs to stop us doing things, It's total BS

Here you pay your tax and then you have to pay National Insurance and by the time you have paid them you have lost around 33+% of your pay, then you have to pay in to a pension and based on how much you earn that can add another 5 to 10% to what you loose, so if you said that you loose around 40% of your pay to the Gov, that leaves you with 60% of your money left and then the moment you spend it 20% of it is VAT/Tax, so earn $1000 and you only get about 40% of the true value of your $1000,

Smokes beer and petrol/Diesel always go up without warning and so does the cost of Rego and Insurance companies are allowed to scam customers for the slightest reason, IE I took a vehicle off the road coz it died and because I didn't drive for 2 years the insurance company Stole my 21 years No Claims bonus, So I told em that it was wrong and just because I had not driven does not mean I had my brain taken out or lost my driving skills. So my Insurance went from around 360 per year up to 670 per year, And I had no choice but to pay it because with out it The police will take your car and if you don't get insurance they will Crush your car/Truck regardless if it is a new Range Rover or a Porche or a Lambo etc,They don't have a system like in Oz with paying ya rego and the compulsary SGIO, Over here they spend more time in thinking up ways to screw the common Man than on anything else. and now we have an extended Low emission zone where you have to pay 25 bucks a day for a Car and about 800/ or $1488.00AUD per day to drive within a 30k radius of the City. And there are than many speed cameras over here at nearly every set of traffic lights and every couple of Ks on every highway and Within a 100metres to 500metres apart on other roads

When I first came here I was a really happy go lucky sort of a bloke but within a year or two of being here I because a lot more aggressive, If it wasn't that I have a Son here I would of been gone bloody years ago.

AND they lost the final of the European championship too :p

Yup I am aware of the NHS, tax n pension stuff and the VAT. Came back to bury dad in 87 and 2 holidays in 93/95. I dam near crapped myself at the cost. Back then it was around 32 P to the AUD, a lot better at the current 54/55 P.

In comparison, here the Medicare Levy is in the main 2% of gross. NHS equiv.

The average wage, tax threshold and tax brackets balance to approx 22% to 25% of Gross.

The superannuation guarantee is set at 9.5% which is part of salary and paid by the employer. You can add extra if affordable.
Some funds i.e Com Govt and I believe State work a little differently. With mine, after the first 10 years I could put in 10% of salary, (5% for the first 10 yrs) they matched it with another 10% and the guarantee was 11%. That = 0.31 as a multiplier per year so after 10 years 3.1. Then they took the last 3 years average salary or roughly what it was last year, then multiplied it by the factor to get the lump sum. Not including my military pension (I got that as I was made redundant in 1992) after 16 years with the APS my multiple was from memory 3.6.

Our VAT equiv is GST and is 10%. I gave up the smokes and rarely drink (Anzac day excepted lol)

Fuel bounces in price, but for the last couple of years Diesel (what I use) has averaged $1.35 /lt and 91 RON unleaded about the same.

Given the cost, weather, tax, VAT, Brexit, losing the soccer, you now know why I having been here for 55 years, don't want to even go for a holiday. In fact my passport expired in 1997, got no wish to ever renew it lol. :)

Yesterday I went for a long drive and Diesel at the Motorway Services was 1.57p per litre or $2.9202c per litre and in Town it was 1.41p or $2.6226c.

One of the most sickening things is when you have to go to hospital or visit someone in hospital where they charge you 4.00 per hour or $7.44c per hour just to park there, And in reality no one wants to be there or go there but they scalp ya when people are at there lowest point, To me thats just wrong,

EDIT for Above Post.

Yesterday I went for a long drive and Diesel at the Motorway Services was 1.57p per litre or $2.9202c per litre and in Town it was 1.41p or $2.6226c.

Based on the price at 1.41p per litre,

Cost of Fuel = 0.5485p + Fuel Duty = 0.5795p 0.282p 1.128p = 20% VAT = 1.41p per litre Which means we pay around 61.099% in Tax per litre.

Although it is claimed that fuel duty is 0.5795p which equals 41.099% the VAT is added after the fuel duty goes on so it can't be 41.099% and becomes 61.099% of the overall cost.

When GST was first introduced, it was supposed to replace a whole raft of different taxes, i.e. sales tax etc. But it did not replace fuel tax, tobacco or booze duties. Those taxes were far higher than sales tax.

As an example, in S.A. a driving license costs $48 per year ($24 concession) and a $20 process fee and is available anywhere from 1 to 10 years. In my instance it costs $240 + $20 processing = a total of $260/10 yrs. However, many people can't afford this as a lump sum and might only renew every year. This costs $24 + the $20 processing fee every year = $44 x 10 = $440 over the same time.

This kind of fee gouging occurs across the board and as usual, those that can least afford end up paying the most. I'm fortunate as a pensioner of having the resources to look to the longer period if applicable. However, my 10 yr license expires in mid 2025, I'll be 75 and I believe I can't then have a 10 yr license as they introduce medical and in my instance eyesight testing, which I also have to pay a gap at my doctor to get. Can't bloody win a trick.

As an aside, from the age of 12 my eyesight shortsight was at - 4.25 diopter, as it was when I joined the RAAF in 1983. I went for a test and new glasses 2 weeks ago and I have -1 in the right eye, with -1.25 in the left. My eyes are better now than since before I hit double digits in age, lol. I don't need glasses to read at all. But I still have to get the check as when I turned 70 they told me if I didn't get the check on their form and send it in my license would be cancelled. I didn't get one this year, so not sure how often I need the test.

Finally, we seem to have wandered about as far as anyone could from the original topic, lol....... sorry :)

condor22 said:
When GST was first introduced, it was supposed to replace a whole raft of different taxes, i.e. sales tax etc. But it did not replace fuel tax, tobacco or booze duties. Those taxes were far higher than sales tax.

As an example, in S.A. a driving license costs $48 per year ($24 concession) and a $20 process fee and is available anywhere from 1 to 10 years. In my instance it costs $240 + $20 processing = a total of $260/10 yrs. However, many people can't afford this as a lump sum and might only renew every year. This costs $24 + the $20 processing fee every year = $44 x 10 = $440 over the same time.

This kind of fee gouging occurs across the board and as usual, those that can least afford end up paying the most. I'm fortunate as a pensioner of having the resources to look to the longer period if applicable. However, my 10 yr license expires in mid 2025, I'll be 75 and I believe I can't then have a 10 yr license as they introduce medical and in my instance eyesight testing, which I also have to pay a gap at my doctor to get. Can't bloody win a trick.

As an aside, from the age of 12 my eyesight shortsight was at - 4.25 diopter, as it was when I joined the RAAF in 1983. I went for a test and new glasses 2 weeks ago and I have -1 in the right eye, with -1.25 in the left. My eyes are better now than since before I hit double digits in age, lol. I don't need glasses to read at all. But I still have to get the check as when I turned 70 they told me if I didn't get the check on their form and send it in my license would be cancelled. I didn't get one this year, so not sure how often I need the test.

Finally, we seem to have wandered about as far as anyone could from the original topic, lol....... sorry :)

Over here you could get your licence when you were say 18 and not have to do it ever again and after 70 they can be subject to a medical, When I came here they still had paper ones and then in around 2000 they bought in the photo ID type we have back home but you don't have to have one if you already have the paper type.

My father got his English license in a way that would be unavailable now. He was in Germany in the occupation forces. His mate was an M.P. (Military Police, not a Pollie, lol.)
As such he had a jeep or similar, he let my old man drive on the Army base for less than 2 hours and gave him a military driving license, then to the SGTs Mess for a beer. When he demobbed he went into the Civilian License joint in the U.K. with it and had it converted to a Civil License.

When we got here in 66' he went to the local cop shop, did a 10 Q written test and was given a license. Literally never having done a practical test or in fact any real driver training. :)

Latest posts