Palerang Shire

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I'm going to be preaching to the converted but ...

I was approached by a Palerang Shire Council worker today. He told me someone had been metal detecting in a particular oval (in the area where I was) and had not filled in their holes. It resulted in an injury. He was happy with my filling-ins (barely noticeable in this particular case) but he said if metal detectorists did not fill their holes in they would act.

The bloke was quite polite and happy with my work (they had observed me for close to two hours) but was concerned about the injury.

From my observations of the site, I could tell a new detectorist had been there and they had been generally scraping the surface - dead grass scattered in a number of places. I did not see any holes deeper than scrappings.

Moral of the story - at the very least fill in your holes and try to do better by helping to ensure the ground is repatriated to as close to how you found it before you dug.

D totally agree hope you found some goodies! Ian

I recently got permission to do a racecourse. they spend millions manicuring it & didn't think they would let me, but they did. Anyway, I'll get to the point when I got there I was detecting around members stand & noticed lots of holes that were all unfilled, then notice the rabbits running as they seen me. So much for my thoughts, LOL
I also notice lots of animal holes in bush when detecting, It does make me wonder how often are we blamed for leaving holes, when it could be or is animals.
Particularly by some environmental groups that just don't know what they are talking about.

Cockys can do a lot of damage too but we are easier to blame hence we have to be on our best behaviour
The better the relationship you build the better we will be treated thats why its best to be helpful and not abusive and follow directions

Latest posts