Another bucket lister!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few weeks before Christmas I was out on a local permission. It was a small field that had never produced much before, but there was a footpath through it that had produced a few nice finds as it crossed a different field not too far away so I was determined to perceiver..

The first signal was a 1944 sixpence....Not particularly old, and only 50% silver, but a good start....Things went a little quite after that, with just moo tubes and other trash...I was just debating whether to try elsewhere, when I got another banging signal on the Nox...it came up as 22/23 and I was thinking another tin lid or bottle top...

A minute or two later, and you could have knocked me over with a feather as in the hole was the glint of gold....

A closer check showed it to be a Victorian half sovereign, my first gold coin and in reasonable nick to....they are not hugely valuable cash wise, but as my first gold coin, it's priceless to me...Luckily the farmer is an old friend, and he was quite happy for me to keep it, although I did make sure he had a bottle of something nice and a good joint of beef for Christmas...

Attachments

• 06C456EF-9907-4A16-9BC9-1385C6BA39CE.jpeg
    06C456EF-9907-4A16-9BC9-1385C6BA39CE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • D6E33A04-4783-4238-B1A7-5637B1845A12.jpeg
    D6E33A04-4783-4238-B1A7-5637B1845A12.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Good on you, I have found thousands of old coins but gold keeps evading me.

One day maybe
Thanks Mate, all I can say is keep at it!

Have a read about the Australian ship that wrecked on the coast about an hour from me...The largest nugget ever found in the UK came from near the wreck and apparently gold sovereigns (minted in Oz) have also been recovered. There are lots of rumours about undeclared Finds and apparently even today the near by beach gets quite busy with detectorists following a storm:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Charter_(ship)

Latest posts