Overseas Detector purchase/pricing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm heading off to Chile at the end of the week, and I was wondering if buying a detector over there and bringing it back would save me any $$?

I had the SDC 2300 and GPX 5000 in mind, but have also been considering the Garrett ATX lately.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated :)

GOOGLE. Chile metal detector dealers etc. you may need to pay import duty back here in Aus.
you seem to be looking at gold prospecting. you have more research to do if you haven't yet decided on a model/brand.

Hey thanks SD,

Yeah I was wondering about the import duty. I have done a bit of googling, and sent emails to Minelab and Garrett. I think I have decided on a model/brand, it's all coming down to the $$ now.

gpx 5000 about $6800. gtx, sdc. about $4000. depends what you want to do. older mine labs can be an option. some old fellas swear by them. tectas are only another tool if you want to go gold mining.

Yep, thanks again... I guess it was more a question about variations between local prices and overseas prices and any potential savings to be made on those particular units.

Latest posts