outback bush camp

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big are people going on solar panels and does anyone just run everything off solar power? I have a vw syncro camper I plan to do 2 month stints outback with. It seems unless I'm covering a lot of ground daily I tend to drain the battery. Running a 60l engel fridge, charging detector batteries, computer,gps etc.

You can run just about everything off solar, however, it's like answering the question - "how long is a piece of string?"

Solar power has 4 criteria - 1. What are you powering. 2. Storage ie battery type and size. 3. Panel size and controller. and finally 4. Weather........

If any are interested I can detail all of the above, with a little science, a lot of common sense and in, hopefully, layman terms.

It is difficult to be specific because everyone has different needs, different knowledge, different budgets and different expectations. However here is a list of topics I can detail that will help build what anyone may need for independent power and tailored to a specific need. Possibly in a new thread.

• Batteries[/*]
  • Solar Panels[/*]
  • Solar Controllers[/*]
  • Smart Chargers[/*]
  • Inverters[/*]
  • Generators[/*]
  • Wiring - including circuit protection[/*]

Nuggetino - Re your question, much more detail required to do so. What type battery? How many Amp Hours?
Any other charging capability? What items you run? The current draw of the items you want to run? and How often? What part of the country? and time of year?

Hey nuggetino, as Condor will no doubt point out, SOLAR dosn't run anything.
The battery does, you use solar to replace what the battery uses.

Hi Mike,

That's a great set up you have mate, and I love the ATV on the camper idea I'll go that way when I'm not broke one day. "To make a long point short" haha Its good to find you again as they deleted all my messages on the other forum bloody pricks they must of disliked our topic lol. Hope Chris is healthy and all is well mate? Flick me a email so we can catch up, cos if you're in the area I'm taking you out for a dig? That's right "dig" lol Talk soon. [email protected]

Cheers,

Clinton.

G'day Greg.
Just goes to show how long ago I looked at this post.

We did spend a few days at Brooms Head, we have family down that way (Maclean)
Trip to NZ where I got pinged fishing without a licence (very savage result if I pay!)
Spent the winter chasing gold in WA, another fishing trip to the coast and now making ready for Christmas.

G'day to Clinton too, I did wonder where you went to. Not very far as it turns out.
I replied to your mates PM this am.
cheers mike

Hi Peter.
No, the transmission was the worst nightmare, right out of my control and when I saw the innards realised what a real disaster it could have been.
But all running smooth again and as you mention, hope to be there in 2015.
Michael

Latest posts