outback bush camp

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1382819722_bush_camp.jpg

A bush camp site somewhere in WA.
mike

Good to see you rough it out there Mike. :D In the market for one of those vans myself....hope the gold was flowing freely mate.

Cheers Wal. :)

Fantastic camp site Mike, looks just great I would love to be out there some where!, thanks for sharing :)

Yes,that is a Honda 2, a great little machine.
Has now logged around 1300hrs., I cant keep up with the green flashing light on starting. (each flash = 100hrs.)
We do use solar, a folding 120w. which keeps the van fridge going during the day whilst we are away prospecting.
The Honda then used at night, a 20a. charger for the truck 2 x aux. batteries and 10a. for the van battery.
Gradually going over to (home rolled) led lights which will improve things.
Yep, there was even a little gold left there, the bonus when just being out there is good enuff.
mike

I have a few tents, a swag, and a Kimberly kamper, depends on where I'm going ,how long I staying etc what set up I take

G'day Nightjar, another nocturnal bird, eh! (sorry Peter)
Ah, the broken axle thing was no great issue, just that it had to happen with the rig falling nearly a metre off a bloody rough track down the Tanami road some 50km. back of Halls creek.
A situation like that, well a blokes just got to do what he has to do (but it does help when there is a Lincoln welder/generator together with a box of tools stored in the back of the truck).
To be truthfull, it did look a trifle grim until I sat down with a plan of attack. The first problem was unhitching the van then getting the truck close and level enough to do the job.
An all day repair lying in burnt spinifex and crows watching to see if we survived. :(
Mike
nb. not sure if the pic loaded?

If this one loads it can be seen the axle already had a fatigue crack, just took the drop into the creek to finalise things.
1383103656_broken_axle.jpg

the crystaline nature of the crack would indicate it was probably hardened high tensile steel that was used to make the stub axle , but they didnt preheat it before welding during manufacture.

did you have a grinder to vee prep or j prep it before welding ?

and did you send a photo to the manufacturer with the intention of donating some gray hair to the buggas ?

Hi headsup.
Not much welding on the stub to create that sort of stress except the undercut weld across the stub at the point where fatigue commenced. The axle material is probably the commonly used k1045.
Ground the surfaces smooth then ran single beads across centre each end to provide a weld preparation. Blocked up the broken end by eye, tacked the centre so could make a final adjustment then tacked each end of the prep area to fix the fore/aft alignment. Up/down (camber) I balanced as each run (downhand/top-overhead/underneath) was made, if pulling one way too much more weld opposite to balance. All carried out in situ, lying down in burnt spinifex, rocks and crows flying about waiting to see if we made it!

No trouble on the nearly 3000km. tow home, when checked I had the toe in spot on, camber 12mm in at the top (neg.)

Now correctly repaired, has done another 17000km. including more rough going.
Yes, I did contact the suspension manufacturer who didnt want to know about it. Brushed it off as abuse of the unit which if you saw where we have dragged the old girl you may tend to agree.

We have owned this van nearly 7 yrs. and have done most of the corrugated tracks plus places where tracks dont exist. The previous owner, a freelance outback photographer, also put the van to the test.
I simply put this episode down to being general "wear and tear", all our previous vans have suffered to some similar degree, broken A frames, cracked chassis, broken axle etc.

Having said all of that I probably now give the impression we are "gung ho" bush bashing "redneck" types who would destroy anything. Please be assured not the case, I am actually very cautious in our travels its just I often want to get into a particular spot, sometimes with damage potential.
Mike

1390958734_image.jpg

The camper set up
Diesel hot water, queen size bed , underbed heater, cab heater, 100 l water tank, +70 l drinking water, 240 watt solar panels, 80l duel zone fridge/freezer

Latest posts