On This Day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On This Day in 1964, the Destroyer HMAS Voyager, was struck by the Aircraft Carrier HMAS Melbourne at 20:56 in Jervis Bay, N.S.W. resulting in the loss of 81 Sailors and 1 civilian. ⚘ R.I.P. my first cousin, Chief Petty Officer Raymond Ernest Rich, was serving on the Voyager on that fateful night and thank God he was one of the survivors.

On This Day in 1964, the Destroyer HMAS Voyager, was struck by the Aircraft Carrier HMAS Melbourne at 20:56 in Jervis Bay, N.S.W. resulting in the loss of 81 Sailors and 1 civilian. ⚘ R.I.P. my first cousin, Chief Petty Officer Raymond Ernest Rich, was serving on the Voager on that fateful night and thank God he was one of the survivors.
Lost my best mate on this fateful day. R.I.P John Trautman and all the other losses.

An interesting/revealing true story in a book written, "Breaking Ranks" - Peter Cabban & David Salter, reveals the unbelievable scandal leading up to this disaster.
The Government later legislated to prevent compensation claims and more. Absolute disgrace!
A detailed account of HMAS Voyager. HMAS Voyager

Fall Of Singapore part 2.......15th February 1942, The Fall of Singapore. Following an assault by Japanese forces, the British General Arthur Percival surrenders. About 80,000 Indian, United Kingdom and Australian soldiers become prisoners of war, the largest surrender of British-led military personnel in history.

Latest posts