oldest silvers found?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirttreasure

Billy Walsh
Reaction score
Was lucky enough to find 13 silver coins in a patch, at my local park, about the size of an average house plot. Was showing the kids the queen, her dad and her grand father all in the one patch. Six pence and threepence. My question is what is the oldest silver you have found? They look lovely coming out of the ground as opposed to pennies.

Don't really chase coins, but oldest silver I've found on the gold fields, is a mint condition English Shilling at Mt Brown near Tibbooburra. The date on the coin is 1878 and it looks as though he must have lost it as soon as he got to the field.There's hardly a scratch on it.

cheers Wal,

I'm always amazed, that in a patch, say near a really old tree for example, that you can find a 1 dollar coin right next to a coin from the 1920's. I can't wait to find coins as old as that. I really, really want to find a gold sovereign. Its funny that you say " not a scratch on it," wal, because every sovereign I have ever seen on the net, seems to be immaculate. Most of the silver's I find though, only need a good tooth brushing too bring them back to an excellent state. Does clr clear still exist???

Hi ,picked up an 1844 Threepence at Sofala this year. Nice piece of history,wish i knew it !

My best find is an 1835 shilling at Heathcote. (story in coin shooting section titled My Best Find). Unlike Wal's shilling my coin was very worn. I bought my detector to find gold but I have really got a kick out of digging up old coins even old pennies. I too would really like to find a gold sovereign.

Good Luck Bob.

Just thought I would add my latest find to this topic. Yesterday I found a 1826 George IV English Schilling. The date was a great surprise to me. Although tarnished, the details a very clear and crisp and easy to read.

Mine is a 6d. Last digit is unrecognisable but given the William face it was in the 1821-26 period.

.....mine is an 1965 (I guess because it was falling apart) SILVER pull tab :mad: :mad: 8.( :mad: :mad:

My oldest is also my first pre decimal, a 1928 threepence i found today with my dad and me lil boy also found a later model sixpence a 5center and a 20c :)

An 1837 English sixpence just out of Ballarat, 10 ft away was a 1952 penny.
Just recently i unearthed a 1911 Australian three pence.
That was near Maldon

Oldest I have found is this 1835 sixpence. Its very worn and the photos are not the best (sorry), but it was a real thrill to unearth it.
Found with an Xterra 705 on the Stuart Town common while I was walking back to the vehicle. Came up a solid 36 on the TID and when I saw it I thought it was a 5c piece till I rubbed a bit of the dirt off it. Was stoked to say the least. Like others I would love to know how it was lost and where it had been used etc. Am guessing it would have bought the meat/ flour etc for the week back in the 1850's when it was dropped, (or so I am told).

1376641323_6p_ed_for_g_forum_1.jpg

1376641341_6p_ed_for_g_forum_2.jpg

Latest posts