old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anytime someone comes through the Whitsundays I will take you to Happy Valley, which gave me more colour than Dittmer.. keen to learn more.

Hey 20x I know where you are now. I call it chinamans point as the chinese worked that & sunk those little shafts. The pic of you in the hi viz shirt is the old drive that my Bro & I cleaned out about 20 years ago. We picked up the bottom but we never swept, it just goes to show how much you miss if you don't clean up properly. The next little tunnel to the west of those 2 ( to the right of the picture of the 2 tunnels) I found a bench the old chinamen had stripped of overburden & then left. It was all covered & hidden in blackberries . I picked that down & put in a drive for a few feet under the bank. got about 8 grams all up, Hardly worth the effort. Fun though playing chinese miner for a week or so. ;)

jethro said:
Hey 20x I know where you are now. I call it chinamans point as the chinese worked that & sunk those little shafts. The pic of you in the hi viz shirt is the old drive that my Bro & I cleaned out about 20 years ago. We picked up the bottom but we never swept, it just goes to show how much you miss if you don't clean up properly. The next little tunnel to the west of those 2 ( to the right of the picture of the 2 tunnels) I found a bench the old chinamen had stripped of overburden & then left. It was all covered & hidden in blackberries . I picked that down & put in a drive for a few feet under the bank. got about 8 grams all up, Hardly worth the effort. Fun though playing chinese miner for a week or so. ;)

hey jethro, yep that's that spot exactly :lol: , messy miner ey :lol: . as I swept it with a wire brush the bedrock just kept splitting off its foliation really easy, the gold in that pan may have come from that and not your mess? :lol:. the ground im actually working isn't anywhere near there. anytime your in the area just gimme a yell and i'll come play chinamen for a day for some fun :cool:

Explored Creswick yesterday around the old Koala park and Eatons Dam. Many shafts but most have collapsed. Found only one deep shaft with visible drive.

Went to Muttama over weekend to see mum for mothersday. While there the neighbour took me and my father up in the hills behind their place as there is a couple of old mines tere, only got to one.
1400201271_chim1.jpg

1400201271_chim2.jpg

1400201272_chim5.jpg

1400201272_mine.jpg

1400201272_sign.jpg

tried a few samples in creeks but nothing showing

The historic village of Blackwood is located in the scenic Macedon Ranges between Ballan and Trentham. Blackwood was a thriving goldmining town during the 1850s when gold was discovered at nearby Golden Point. These days, Blackwood is a peaceful village, situated on the Lerderderg River and surrounded by the native forests of the Lerderderg State Park and Wombat State Forest.

great photos .but I'm glad it's you going in there not me . danger is everywhere ,but life is a risk. if that's your thing go for it .will watch for more posts . best of luck.
bill

great photos .but I'm glad it's you going in there not me . danger is everywhere ,but life is a risk. if that's your thing go for it .will watch for more posts . best of luck.
bill

Brilliant pickies guys,thanks for the share. Would love to see the ore that's not there in those stopes anymore

Yes the photos above looks very dangerous with the water and the deep shaft. However, the water does look very clear. You would think it would be muddy as I have seen on many occasions.

Love this topic. :)
My hair stood on end when looking at the second last photo, The one with the clear water in it.
What is under that timber lying on the floor under the water. Looks like a shaft under it. LOL

dean65 said:
Yes the photos above looks very dangerous with the water and the deep shaft. However, the water does look very clear. You would think it would be muddy as I have seen on many occasions.

well after 140 od years the water stays crystal clear untill you walk in it of course :)

Tathradj said:
Love this topic. :)
My hair stood on end when looking at the second last photo, The one with the clear water in it.
What is under that timber lying on the floor under the water. Looks like a shaft under it. LOL

no that wood in the water filled tunnel was where the old tram line tracks wore on the floor of the mine but i do carry a metal pole and prope the floor of the tunnel every foot or so in case there is a shaft down in the floor lol but most of the time theres not witch is good :)

I'm with you bill too. We didn't get to the moon without taking risks but these guys are great getting these photos. I absolutely love this thread.

GoldCheddar2005 said:
Checkout the PVC pipes, how old is that shaft? It looks post 1930s

i was thinking the same

PVC pipe has to be less than 15 years . it must have had some modern attempts to reopen but the shaft has seen better days

maybe some flood damage from heavy rain ?

1403182767_img_20140619_224611.jpg

This innocent looking hole is the mouth to a 140 ft deep angled drive. When i was younger you could get to the bottom before the straight drop off, in modern times the abattoirs used this to dump some of the unusable material, probably illegally. Probably a lost mine now, tricky traverse, ceiling to floor height only 4 1/2 feet.

1403183144_img_20140619_224751.jpg

This is just to the west, another shaft but much less width doubled as a ventilation shaft for the adjacent one, estimated depth 66 feet.

Just an example how keeping an eye out is probably a good idea. A decade ago there were signs and quite obv openings (no fencing) i think back now to traversing these as a test of courage, hate to think what would have happened in a cave in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts