old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dean65 said:
"Hi Dean,

this one actually heads down and joins on to the one you have shown in post #285. From there it heads west about 130m, it does not branch off in any direction for that full length."

Hi, Thanks for this description. The entrances need digging out a bit before I venture inside. Is the drop far ? From what I can see it looks very steep and then you could be stuck inside unable to climb out.

By the way, have you been in any of the tunnels under Black Hill ?

Thanks

Dean

It is a bit tight to get right down from the northern most entrance, the other one in post 285 opens right up once you get in. The timber in the second pic is a bridge over a hole that drops down about 3m it is 2 levels so it's easy to get down. From there it heads north which is where it joins onto the other entrance.

Yes I have been into the ones under black hill when I was about 13 or so. From memory the biggest one goes in 80m or so where it has been caved in. There was a very small gap that went vertical that I could squeeze up into which opened up again but didn't go much further.

Hi,

This information will be very helpful. Will try to get in via the southern entrance , but it will need digging out first. Don't want to get stuck in there. Steve will be interested in the bridge over the shaft as he likes to examine original mine fittings and architecture. The tunnel with the cave in under Black Hill needs to be approached with caution. Was down there recently but did not have my good camera with me. The area is not very stable. Thanks Dean.

I'm no expert but the timbers don't look that old, maybe 1980's. I did find a mining survey of the area from the 80's that mentioned the name of the adit which was the name of the guy that had the lease at the time (cant remember what that name was). There are also wooden tracks running the full length of the tunnel.

edit: Pics added

1416802804_20141011_120211.jpg

looking down from north entrance

1416802853_20141011_125046.jpg

looking down from bridge

1416802980_20141011_124909.jpg

looking up to bridge

1416803010_20141011_124754.jpg

bottom level looking towards northern entrance

Thinks it's called Hennig's tunnel. Not sure of the age though. You may be correct.

That looks good wooly,

Some nice looking wash layers around the entrance there, did you happen to sample it to see if there is any colour?

MJB said:
That looks good wooly,

Some nice looking wash layers around the entrance there, did you happen to sample it to see if there is any colour?

No i didn't. I only had my detector with me.

you fellas are crazy,

In bendigo there are many old mines, my friends and i know of several but a particular one we visited (my mates where renting together) was within 100 meters of where they lived quite close to the centre of town (with in 5km).

I wont name it as im not sure if you can still get to where we used to go.

Anyways you used to go into a man sized white clay carven for a way, then you would have to crawl along for aways downward on a roughly 60 deg angle in a orange rocky rubble on hand and knees, then come to a bit of an opening where you could walk for a bit say 10 15m, then go through this narrow tunnel for about 5 or 6 meters from memory that you could only as i would describe as "caterpillar" along. This is where i started to become worried.

I remember going into this final bit and getting half way and thinking "no F'n way am i going any further" and i started to panic and "reverse caterpillared" out of that particular tunnel back to the previous caren. Sitting there for a bit, slightly apprehensive about venturing further and were my mates where and what if this and that happened and blah blah and "just get the Heck out of there guys" (censored)

My 2 other friends whom where already down in the other chamber, and gone before me, and had been there previously, described the end of the tunnel to me where it apparently opened up next to a brick wall (yes a brick wall), where you had to stand up vertically in about a 1 ft area which fed out into a cavernous room of about 20 m x 3 m long x 10 m high. Mind you id estimate we were 30 to 40 m underground.
Apparently there was a slime covering the brick wall with trickling water coming down from the roof, and water at the bottom of the cavern in places.
We each had torches but they said they couldn't see where water was coming from of going to.

So we all got back all out of the hole after a bit, and had a few afterwards, and talked about hole, and how hard it would have been in the day and that, but we all agreed how dangerous it was and scary and exciting at the same time.

Since then we have had a massive fire that has gone directly through that area that threatened to burn the whole area down and also did take about 15 houses in the fires, we've and also countless floods since we ventured down that hole, i'd also like to think that the council may have blocked access to the mine as it is quite close to housing and children, whom if where like me used to explore lots of old stuff like that.

Had a few beers again and reminiscing about old times growing up in Bendigo :)
:D
Cheers

the bricked up wall sounds interesting they would only brick up a tunnel if it was going to cave in or if there was a high pressure spring of water in the tunnel they wore mining id say that they may of been chasing some rich quartz reef and ran into one of these springs and instead of flooding the whole mine they just bricked it up and possibly mined away from this bricked up tunnel to avoid flooding :)

Gday Dean,
I dont think I like the look of the entry to the 1st pic,
it looks a bit unstable, but I do like the contrast and
colors of the rocks, earth and plants.
A very nice pic.
Cheers Steve

Good idea. But as you get further in there are other problems with an unstable area. There is a deep shaft half full of water. The back of this mine has not been accessed and there may be a second entrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.