Old coin? found in New Zealand

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but it would be great for someone to help in identify it.

It was found while digging, out the back of an old house in Blenheim, New Zealand. At the back of the property, there is a major river. When I was a kid, the river got cleaned, and I went digging in the mud and found heaps of different old things.

Anyway, here are the pictures. I'm not even sure it's a coin, could just be an old token or something. (just remove spaces)

h t t p s://skydrive.live.com/?cid=C7942153FC28B49E&id=C7942153FC28B49E%21183&authkey=%21APW0QX4UtmttWN0&v=3#cid=C7942153FC28B49E&id=C7942153FC28B49E%21183&authkey=%21APW0QX4UtmttWN0&v=3

1387970852_pc150776.jpg

Yes that is the picture.

If you go to the link, you should be able to view a sideshow of both sides.

It's a little smaller than an ozzy 20cent, about twice as thick.

I can't post link, but if you google "Antic celtic coins" in pictures, you'll see some examples.
Yours is not a real one, it is a reproduction: it was obvisously cast, and the patina is too nice.

I have a few of those coins myself (and use to find some real one with metal detector in France).

Hey mate what is the coin made of ? Gold or Bronze ?
I am still trying to find out what mine is. It is exactly the same as yours

If I remember correctly, a lady from the USA made a post the other day on another forum, stating that she had found this exact coin or token ?? and used exactly the same picture ? Apparently it was found in a river somewhere in the US ?

We have found several of these coins in the Netherlands and are now beginning to believe they are fake(not Celtic).
I have posted our photos on heavymetal's thread on this topic. We are planning to analyse the metal with XRF and
hope that gives us some more ideas about who faked them and when.

Latest posts