OK, The Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee does have one weakness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Jin gotta watch them scratches, my cherry pearl paint is no longer avail, they changed the red colour a year later. I had some made up for stone chips etc but Im no panel beater and its a bit tricky to apply properly.

Dead right Smoky, thats why the US built those Go Anywhere, on Any Terrain 1942 skinny wheeled units.(owned 2 of), one i know of is used every Anzac Day Parade in Roma Qld. I sold that one in 1980 and its still driving like a new one. Take no notice of Jeep bashers, my next vehicle will be a JEEP. :perfect: :perfect:

Ded Driver said:
Once we used to have Valiant Dandruff to pull the psss out of, then came Bloody Volvo Drivers, now its Jeep Drivers who have to wear the sledging :playful:

Nothing wrong with the old Wog box :) had a VG wagon and VJ sedan. Brother had VC sedan with a bit of work done to it, that was a seriously fun car luckily for him he worked for Bridgestone at the time :playful:

Leroy said:
Dead right Smoky, thats why the US built those Go Anywhere, on Any Terrain 1942 skinny wheeled units.(owned 2 of), one i know of is used every Anzac Day Parade in Roma Qld. I sold that one in 1980 and its still driving like a new one. Take no notice of Jeep bashers, my next vehicle will be a JEEP. :perfect: :perfect:

Now you are talking Leroy, they are real Jeeps. :Y:

Cheers

Doug

RM Outback said:
Ded Driver said:
Once we used to have Valiant Dandruff to pull the psss out of, then came Bloody Volvo Drivers, now its Jeep Drivers who have to wear the sledging :playful:

Nothing wrong with the old Wog box :) had a VG wagon and VJ sedan. Brother had VC sedan with a bit of work done to it, that was a seriously fun car luckily for him he worked for Bridgestone at the time :playful:
s'all good RMO, I died in a 7'2 VH Charger, & I have a '77 CL 770 Charger in my shed. Im a bit of a Valery/Dodge/Plymouth fan :D

Ded Driver said:
RM Outback said:
Ded Driver said:

s'all good RMO, I died in a 7'2 VH Charger, & I have a '77 CL 770 Charger in my shed. Im a bit of a Valery/Dodge/Plymouth fan :D

I built up a VG Valiant and fitted all the Pacer parts and the engine from a Race car and with a few mods it was lethal, It use to pick up the left hand front wheel when you give the full beans, it was extremely fast and having a 3 speed it could break the speed limit in first gear, Oh I loved that thing, the body design was the American Dodge Dart that came out with 245, 265, 6's and the 273, 318, 340, 383 Magnum and 426 and the 440 V8's, :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Ded Driver said:
Shhhhhhhhhh ....... but I secretly admire the Jeep Grand Cherokee S-Limited with the 5.7L Hemi V8. I would almost buy one, but I'd rather have the Dodge Charger or Challenger ;)

Me Too, there are only 3 or 4 cars that I'd like and they are a 68 or 69 Dodge Charger or a 56 or 57 Chev,

Ded Driver said:
Shhhhhhhhhh ....... but I secretly admire the Jeep Grand Cherokee S-Limited with the 5.7L Hemi V8. I would almost buy one, but I'd rather have the Dodge Charger or Challenger ;)

Somewhere in Aus is my 56 Chrysler Royal which is really the American 55/56 Plymouth Fury, When I owned it, It was Charcoal Metallic Grey,

Ridge Runner said:
Ded Driver said:
RM Outback said:
Ded Driver said:

I built up a VG Valiant and fitted all the Pacer parts and the engine from a Race car and with a few mods it was lethal, It use to pick up the left hand front wheel when you give the full beans, it was extremely fast and having a 3 speed it could break the speed limit in first gear, Oh I loved that thing, the body design was the American Dodge Dart that came out with 245, 265, 6's and the 273, 318, 340, 383 Magnum and 426 and the 440 V8's, :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

I feel there's a need to start a MOPAR thread :) apologies to all you Jeep fellas but the Jeeps fit the bill so to speak, Chrysler as in Chrysler Valiant / Jeep we're all brothers from another mother :) :power: :perfect: :beer:

Ded Driver said:
RM Outback said:
Ded Driver said:

Hey DD, Look whats come up,

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotDetails.aspx?smode=0&aid=17034&lid=2278828&pgn=1&pgs=100

There's even an SLR 5000 there,

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/Auc...MI9Zr8-omK6gIVidwbCh2Gbwv1EAEYASAAEgJMQvD_BwE

J.

to compare 4x4's I currently have 2005 Jeep Wrangler and a 70 series 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser. both were bought new

prior I had a 40 series Land Cruiser back in the '70's and a 60 series Land Cruiser also bought new in the mid '80's that I kept for 12 years

the Jeep leaves for dead in the bush the old 60 series I had and the the current 70 series and has done well over 200,000k's. but being a short wheel base it's very limited to what I can carry, hence why I have a 70 series as well. it reminds me of the old 40 series but a bit more fun

as far as reliability goes it has never let me down. and on a mile by mile basis compared to the old 60 series less things have worn out on the Jeep.
as far as other Jeep models go. I have no clue

they are easy to work on and parts are cheap if you buy direct from the USA, even including shipping from places like Rockauto. recently during the covid lock down I decided to replace the clutch as it had a noisy throw out bearing, and at the time also replaced a weeping front diff pinion seal, replaced all uni joints in both front and rear prop shafts and replaced a leaking rear main seal, pan and rocker gaskets. the leaks weren't bad enough to drip on the ground and the unis werent that bad, but while it was all apart decided may as well do the lot as I like to nip things in the bud before they become a problem

the clutch turned out to be fine, the pilot gearing was shot (too many water crossings) but all was replaced any way

all the parts I used were premium brands like felpro, spicer and LUK and arrived here at my door within a week and cost $650 including fedex

so the old girl was given a birthday, the only things I've had to replace in the past were a radiator and a water pump and of course normal servicing things

mechanical work is what I do for a living and along with prospecting, it gives me a lot of pleasure working on the spanners.
and working for a Big Australian resources company for many many years looking after mech equipment you get to a appreciate reliability and preventative maintenance

Hey,
I'm slowly starting to see respect for later model Jeeps.
I've put my favorite mechanic (who also bought a WK2) onto Rockauto. OEM parts shipped much cheaper than from locals.
I heard from a guy near the Alice who had a starter shipped from Rockauto in the USA within 4 days at much less than local dealerships could supply.
Maybe I'm not all alone out there with my rock solid and reliable WK2 Grand Cherokee?
I'll be seeing you guys out there when borders open :D

Ded Driver said:

My neighbour has a Black factory lowered Anniversary model complete with factory side pipes and the Hemi V8

Latest posts