Oiii You, The Lurkers out there ---

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it funny that only one person in this thread joined before 2013.

Yet your behaving as though its an exclusive club only meant for you guys and closed to all others.
I think its a little selfish to have that attitude on a public forum that was from what i understand established to promote,educate and share with like minded people all things gold and gems.

Doesn't matter if you talk in a private VIP section of the site or in public that info will eventually find its way out to the public.
So why fight it accept it or don't discuss what you don't want to share with the world.

And this thread would also probably be doing more to discourage people from joining.
Its slowly turning into the "other" forum.

Other forums are not immune, its just the way it is and will always be!

ht5t1g.png

Yep all you lurkers/ gaukers just become a member. :D
More the merry...help us end Tathradj,s thread and increase numbers at your local fossicking area so i can turn my hotdog stand into a franchise... ;)

9 out of 10 i log in and hit the 'new posts' button :)

to keep up on what is happening, as for sharing my patches in public :D not likely :rolleyes:

and i don't expect others to detail theirs either ;)

but i do like the idea of a hotdog stand :p

Thought I better post for fear of being labelled a lurker ;) I reckon the subscribed (paid) members should have an area that is free from the lurkers, bots etc. Not to say that all visitors are bad, I think it's great that others are interested in what we are about, but there is a lot out in cyberspace with less than good intentions. Just having my say guys.........damn time to go to work :rolleyes:

i have to say i 'lurked' as a guest for about a week before i signed up, just to get a feel of the forum, see how to new guys were treated etc. After looking around a little i knew i was signing up as i had looked at another forum too but seen this was the one to join, much nicer atmosphere and was straight away welcomed.

ps. where is this hotdog stand? i have the craving now...

LC76 said:
I find it funny that only one person in this thread joined before 2013.

Yet your behaving as though its an exclusive club only meant for you guys and closed to all others.
I think its a little selfish to have that attitude on a public forum that was from what i understand established to promote,educate and share with like minded people all things gold and gems.

Doesn't matter if you talk in a private VIP section of the site or in public that info will eventually find its way out to the public.
So why fight it accept it or don't discuss what you don't want to share with the world.

And this thread would also probably be doing more to discourage people from joining.
Its slowly turning into the "other" forum.

I believe you have read the intention of the thread incorrectly ... I read the message as "join ... contribute ... become a part of the family instead of just leeching". The regular contributors on this forum always have praise and encouragement to give new members. Rarely is any criticism seen in these threads. For many who struggle to get out as often as the "fever" urges them to, reading of other's effots/adventures/successes goes some way towards easing the itch.

Hey there yobskin ,
If you want to sell a hotdog franchise I'm up for it ,
Although I I'm pretty sure I would eat the profits
up myself.
It was with the greatest effort I restrained myself
from buying a sausage at Aldi this morning when
I bought one of there detectors.
I had just finished eating a large breakfast but if they
were hotdogs I would not of controled the urge.
Yes I know I'm a sad little man :8

Another prospecting site I was on, I was told the guests (lurkers) consisted of greenies, polies, property owners, claim jumpers, armchair prospectors ect. We set up a test (some call it a trap) were one member said on this forum they had found gold in a certain area. A members friend lives near the area and said the traffic on the road after the story was posted increased heaps and as far as we know it wasn't any of the forum members.
:) Mick

I like that thinking axman, and it is that exact reason we should have a bit more control on what is available.

I agree .. i think show n tell should be on the members only section.... just my 2 cents worth :)

You will find that often between 50% and 75% of those guests are bots. Many will be Google, Microsoft, Yahoo etc

Most members will tick the "stay logged in" box which means that unless you clear the cookies from your PC you are automatically logged in as soon as you visit the site.

Without these 'bots' visiting it would be harder for people to find the forum. These Bots are why you can get so many 'Hits' when you do a search on your search engines.
Any ip address starting with 66. will be a Googlebot, 207. is microsoft Bingbot, 68. is Yahoo, . Others will be Russian. Bosnian,Indian, Nigerian and Chinese bots which may or may not be cause for concern. Have a look at the log if you are one of the moderators and see just how many begin with 66 or 207

You are better off not worrying about it. It's part of life on the WWW.

CB

Tige said:
I agree .. i think show n tell should be on the members only section.... just my 2 cents worth :)

Tige, By "Members only section" do you mean logged in members or the more elitist subscribed members??.

A perfect example of how "subscription membership" killed a forum is the Alaskan Gold Forum. Thankfully Jim Alaska had the sense to remove the subscription. (Yes I know this one is voluntary, but it still divides the group and in some cases Members who previously submitted some information freely have now seen it locked away for only the paying members to view)

Subscritions are not needed to keep a forum like this running, All you are doing is lining the pocket of the owner...........trust me a forum like this even though its linked to a website costs 2/5ths of buggerall to run and the moderators come free ;)

One Hundred members at $20.00 each is $2000.00. This whole website would not cost more than a few hundred a year to run, if that, and to be truthful the forum is self managed with the members providing the input and content. Again, the moderators come free and voluntary.

What about all the "Raffles" that were run via this forum???? just boosting the income for the owner. I'll bet no charity benefited and I wonder if there was ever any official licence applied for to run publicly advertised Raffles Hmmm.

This forum only eventuated because other forums had some issues with the owner using their groups for free advertising of goods for sale and raffles.(Truth!!)

CB

ched66 said:
Thought I better post for fear of being labelled a lurker ;) I reckon the subscribed (paid) members should have an area that is free from the lurkers, bots etc. Not to say that all visitors are bad, I think it's great that others are interested in what we are about, but there is a lot out in cyberspace with less than good intentions. Just having my say guys.........damn time to go to work :rolleyes:

Ched, Any section of this forum that is unviewable unless you are logged in is also not visible to any Bots or Lurkers. Simple as that. What you can't see when not logged in cannot be seen by anyone else or any web bot.

Latest posts