Noisy Ground after rain

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI PA members,

Hope someone can help me, went out today after heavy rain all night and the ground was very wet, what I found strange
was that I was digging lots of phantom targets which I have never had before in the saem area. I then went to a patch
I detected last weekend and it was noisy so I new it want my detector. So I was wondering do PI detectors run nosiy after
alot of rain with very wety ground, any help advise would be appreciated. Oh yeah found lots of lead shopt and no gold, compared
to last weekends 6 pieces was rather dissapointing.

Rgds

Mark

The best time with A VLF to detect is about 2 days after the rain because the ground carries the signal better, But with PI Machines it can make them pick up more ground noise,

Yes with wet ground you do dig more patches of noisy ground and charcoal just ground balance before you dig, detecting of a night the detectors run a lot smoother and you are concentrating more on where you are detecting so picking up on the smallest sound regards john :)

Gidday tryhard, i was out on saturday after it rained heavily the night before. I've found that the moisture in the ground seems to enhance and make the signals stronger, but the sdc can be a little more noisy. I've also noticed that any wet grass/vegetation that the coil hits can send the machine a bit jumpy and give off a false signal.

I was out yesterday with the Zed in ground with a very high ironstone concentration and it was very wet. The machine was unusually noisy but it wasnt just ground noise.
The noise was still there if I raised the coil. (This incidentally is a good test to see if its ground noise or emi. Raise the coil about a meter off ground. If noise is still there its emi related).
I dont usually have this issue. I tried it at home (also on wet ground) and there was no issue.
What I have put it down to is the wet ironstone formed like a giant antenna/reflector that amplified/concentrated the EMI. It seems that the more sensitive the machine (we are talking PI machines here), the more it is an issue.
I have yet to prove this but maybe if I have a quiet day at work I will put it to the test.

Yes, I also found if I lifted the coil I was picking up a lot of EMI, couldn't tune out no matter how many times I did a Auto Tune [SDC]. I guess I will wait until the ground dries out before going back as it was very hard listening for good targets.

GPZ 7000 or GPX 5000? The GPZ is generally good in the wet. After doing a little bit of research today, I could probably have quietened my machine down by changing a combination of settings.

I am going to try different settings next time I am up there and use a small nugget as a test. I am always too worried I will miss a target if I make it too quiet lol.

Latest posts