No illusion of finding gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groveraus

Grant
Reaction score
I have just hired a SDC2300 from Detector Den in Fyshwick for a couple of days to try it out.

I took it to the local school where my 4 kids go. I had no illusion of finding gold but thought I could spark the kids interest by looking for some coins, we did find 35c. What we did find was a little scary,this is the soft fall for the play gyms. Unfortunately I only got through about 5m/sq out of about 60m/sq due to sand going in the eye of one of the kids.

The reason for finding what we did was not out of malice or druggies being lazy with syringes, it was stuff you would find in the classroom that had made its way into the play areas and then misplaced or discarded by the kids.

I have heard that detectorists are great for cleaning areas up and this really pushed a button with me as I don't want my kids or others getting hurt by this stuff.

It is not always about the yellow stuff.

1413615886_school-playgym.jpg

Not to mention all the bottle caps with broken glass still attached, and the large array of sharp objects you find in the sand at the beach. Best to get the kids some gloves, as you really don't know what nasties you will come across. I pick up all sharps found detecting, you will be surprised how many people re-bury junk targets, including sharp stuff. :rolleyes:

I have not had the best luck finding interesting objects at the parks I have been to, but I have certainly cleaned up many sharp objects similar to what you are showing here. Ive cleaned out rusty nails, pins, needles :mad:, random rusty sharp shapes etc.. Sometimes I have been finding the junk half way down in tanbark which sometimes makes me think that it has been there since before it got to the parks.

I carry a junk bag with me at all times detecting parks and bin most of the crap, never re-bury it or throw it. Better to clean it!

As you said, if anything, it is a good thing to clean out a park and if there is one of them 'are you allowed to detect here' parent's, you can show them the dangers that you have detected and it usually keeps the peace :)

Anything dangerous like that i take with me and dispose. More junk out there than there is goodies. Gets to the point where i dont dig the sus readings i get. But that may be a downside. Could be a bit of gold near a tin object and missed. Lets hope not.

treasureman said:
Anything dangerous like that i take with me and dispose. More junk out there than there is goodies. Gets to the point where i dont dig the sus readings i get. But that may be a downside. Could be a bit of gold near a tin object and missed. Lets hope not.
Good lesson to not skip over things, but we all know exactly what you mean. I dont stick to it myself yet, but a mate of mine says 'Why buy a metal detector if you are not going to dig up all signals'. As you stated, there could be a nugget next to the noise or even under it, you never know.. But its usually pretty obvious if you are just hitting a trashy area.

Latest posts