NF EVOLUTION COIL ON WET GROUND?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals I recently made a post about my new 12" evo saying how awesome it is..since that post Iv been out 2 more times so the first time out I got 7 nuggets the second time I got 6 from the same area but this morning I decided to go to creswick and for some reason I could not get it to work properly kept getting false targets I moved 3 times to totally different areas and still no good the ground was wet as it rained last night I'm wondering if that would have something to do with it has anyone experienced this ? Cheers

Advice will vary, however, you don't state if you changed any settings at all, and the consensus is that when 'conditions' or 'location' change, so must your set-up... :8 :D

Cheers
Gypsy

yep wet ground.
Also, make sure you regularly remove and clean out your skid plate.

Thanks guys I thought it would have to be the wet ground and yes I changed my settings according to conditions but today no matter what I done It didn't work..will wait for the ground to dry out a bit before taking it out again ..cheers

Yep, wet ground in the Vic GT is a shocker with the new coils. Last time I was out, a couple of weeks ago, after rain and with light showers had no end of trouble with the 15" Evo. I experimented with settings and found fast tracking worked very well on the day. Was still getting small and large targets, but unfortunately no gold. Figure I was probably loosing depth but figured it was worth it versus putting up with the constant false targets. I've had my 15 Evo nearly 12 months and find the same problem every time after rain. Normally I just turn the gain and stabiliser down; gain no more than 9 on the 4500, and do a lot of ground balancing over the noisy ground. If it balances out I move on. I also find that when I do this the ground outside the original target area triggers a target signal. In my mind it proves to me it's just noisy ground. When I dig I usually find an orange or red clay that is the culprit. I've also tried grounding out a real gold target and haven't been able to do it. So ..... a few things to try. Cheers

Dig'n-it said:
Yep, wet ground in the Vic GT is a shocker with the new coils. Last time I was out, a couple of weeks ago, after rain and with light showers had no end of trouble with the 15" Evo. I experimented with settings and found fast tracking worked very well on the day. Was still getting small and large targets, but unfortunately no gold. Figure I was probably loosing depth but figured it was worth it versus putting up with the constant false targets. I've had my 15 Evo nearly 12 months and find the same problem every time after rain. Normally I just turn the gain and stabiliser down; gain no more than 9 on the 4500, and do a lot of ground balancing over the noisy ground. If it balances out I move on. I also find that when I do this the ground outside the original target area triggers a target signal. In my mind it proves to me it's just noisy ground. When I dig I usually find an orange or red clay that is the culprit. I've also tried grounding out a real gold target and haven't been able to do it. So ..... a few things to try. Cheers
Dignit You described the issue perfectly ..Its exactly how my coil was behaving im glad it's just the wet ground causing it .cheers

Oh, and I forgot to add, typically the orange or red clay as it comes out of the hole and piled on the side is just as noisy as what is in the hole.
Also, I find the coils reactive to green moss/algae on hard clay typically in the low lands. I move quickly up slope when I hit this stuff.

In wet weather/ground with my 4K, i usually just back off the GAIN, and increase the VOLUME. Also, it will depend on if i am on DEEP or SHALLOW ground, perhaps changing the coil may help as well.....

Detect to your conditions...

Gypsy

From what I've found it's not just wet ground but more the change from dry to wet pockets that is a struggle. But just one more thing that we deal with and learn as we go.

Lower the Gain and if ground is variable just run tracking. Just remember to "lock" the ground balance if investigating those iffy responses.

If all else fails put on a standard wound mono.

PhaseTech said:
Lower the Gain and if ground is variable just run tracking. Just remember to "lock" the ground balance if investigating those iffy responses.

If all else fails put on a standard wound mono.
Sorry to sound like a dunce, but would you be referring to the std minelab commander coil?

So why is it the new evo coils are so much more touchy? I assume different wire or winding pattern.

All the flat wound monos (Evo, Ultra, Elite) have a lot of near coil sensitivity, so when the ground is saturated you are getting a double whammy of ground signal. Most times you can adjust settings to suit but a lot of users seem reluctant to tame down their settings.

Any non-spiral wound mono (or DD) will handle these conditions better - i.e. Commander, NF Advantage, standard Detech etc, for the simple fact that they are less sensitive.