New to this whole gold thing.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xadz

James Kennedy
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My names Jamie and I'm from Warragul, VIC. I've been following a lot of the posts and finds for weeks now and I finally went out to Walhalla this weekend and came back empty handed which was a shame but I know you can't always strike gold. Just wondering what everyones thoughts on the region around Warragul are or where you have been close by? I heard Omeo is good and might have to head up there once but I've done a lot of research and I keep reading everywhere around this around e.g Neerim sth, Walhalla, Tanjil, Powelltown all have good gold.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm completely new to this.

Thanks,

Jamie

Hi Xadz
welcome to the website, walhalla sounds like a good spot to start, you just need to keep looking and find the right spot, maybe try and hook up with someone in your area and go out with them, they will be able to show you how to read the land, then get digging.
i know when i first started (12 mounths ago) i thought i was going to find it close to the surface, but then i was lucky and hooked up with a mate who took me back to the same spot and reasured me that i was looking in the right spots, but that i needed to get to bedrock, so we did, couple of hours later and i had my first 2 specs (not realy a gold area but goes to show it is were you find it).
later i was lucky enough to hook up with some of the guys from the forum, on an eldorado trip and got my first real gold (1.5g) met some great people and had a great three days camping making new freinds.

best of luck and hope you find some yella soon
Boyd

hello Jamie I am base in Pakenham and I have done some panning and sluicing in your area and I have found gold its small but it a start as I am fairly new to it all lol
If you wanna catch up for a day or two I am more than welcome to give you a hand

Xadz said:
Hey guys,

My names Jamie and I'm from Warragul, VIC. I've been following a lot of the posts and finds for weeks now and I finally went out to Walhalla this weekend and came back empty handed which was a shame but I know you can't always strike gold. Just wondering what everyones thoughts on the region around Warragul are or where you have been close by? I heard Omeo is good and might have to head up there once but I've done a lot of research and I keep reading everywhere around this around e.g Neerim sth, Walhalla, Tanjil, Powelltown all have good gold.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm completely new to this.

Thanks,

Jamie

Jamie, keep researching and keep it up, all I can offer is work out where the gold is coming from, and ....keep working on where the gold is coming from! So many spots ive been to in "gold country" yet I discount where its coming from because I cant get access to that spot. Find the access point, they are there u just need to probe a bit further!

How do I exactly find where its coming from. I'm not sure what to look for? I've tried to do some research on how gold gets where it does but I can't exactly understand. Is there something to look out for, or is it just knowing the area. Thank you everyone for your replys, everyone is so hopeful.

Hi Xadz,

I'm also from Warragul area (drouin). There's a few creeks around Neerim South and Crossover that you'll find gold in. Keep digging until you can't dig any deeper (bedrock) and clean out the cracks/crevices that's generally where the gold is. Apparently there is a prospecting club that meets in Drouin (PMAV) that might be worth joining. Also if you keep reading this forum, including older posts it won't take long to understand the why's and how's of gold prospecting.

Cheers Rick

Latest posts