New to fossicking... but keen to give it a shot

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm a fossicking novice to the extent of virginal. I've just hit retirement age so work is no longer a priority, although I will soldier on until I strike it rich. Yes, I'll be working up till lunchtime on the day of my funeral!! I'm based in Sydney and fancy gold detecting to start with so, keen to hit the ground running and cutting out as many mistakes as possible, I'm open to any advice from members regarding choice of detectors and places to swing it. I'm keen on places with rivers and creeks as I like to swoft a fly rod (badly/ineptly) so hoping to swoff and swing (no doubt, also ineptly) in one place. Probably heading to the Snowies for the spawning run, so maybe try my luck there first. Thanks in advance for any help help or advice.

Hi Glumbug. Plenty of places to choose from as long as you get out of the Sydney basin. Cant give you much advise on fishing so Ill leave that side of it for you to decide where to go. Having lived in Sydney I used to head west for gold to Hill End Sofala Windeyer (fish in the Turon?) Tuena or Trunkey Creek. Heading south Mongarlow Araluen Nerriga Oallen. For detectors theres a wealth of information and opinions on here. Scroll down for different makes. Minelab is my choice. Finances might be a consideration.

Cool, thanks for that.
I've been thinking the Fisher Gold Bug Pro 2 but Minelab seems popular.

I
Jaros said:
Anaconda are having a sale on again with some of the Minelabs $200 off RRP.
Ironic, Anaconda at Moore Park was the first place I went and had a chat to one of the staff who actually goes detecting with his whole family once a year as a family get-together.

Latest posts