Pegging A lease in W.A

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys I'm new to the forum and have just introduced myself and my Youtube Channel if you want to put a face to the Idiot Typing.

I've Had one really good find this year and would love to take a small excavator down there and see what lies below.
We found 7 ounces of rich specimens confined to a very small area in a heavy worked old mining area.

When we found the Gold we had an E40 permit in place , but recently the ground changed hands and is a pending E40 with a Large Mining Company and I was too slow to do anything. As I believe the exploration lease needs to have been granted for 1 year before it can be pegged? I'm happy to wait if I have to.

I was Hoping at pegging a small lease on this area in the future and try my luck at some small scale mining as metal detecting is all I've done the last 12 years or so.

I've tried pegging a lease before, and went through the process online ,the lease was visible on tenegraph for a week or so but I must have made the mistake of pegging over 2 existing exploration leases and was asked to retract the application and lost some cash over it..no biggie.

What I would really like to know is are there any hidden costs to pegging a lease apart from the initial application fee and the yearly rent? I feel like I'm missing some information.
I always see people selling leases for 20k or such and I think why so expensive? when it doesn't seem that hard to peg a lease? I'm obviously missing some info here?
I have been over the mines department guidelines etc, But I would love to hear from Some of the more experienced miners/prospectors here about what to expect in general or just any tips or advice on costs etc...I'm still a young 40 so I don't have a huge amount of capital to invest, so just exercising some caution.
any help or advise is much appreciated guys.
Cheers :beer: :Y:

Pegging the lease is not too difficult although there are a few snags that we all run into that take up a lot of time and repetitive work. The native title side of it is always a battle and unavoidable.
However getting the lease is just the first step. If you wish to work it with any sort of machinery then you will get to see why you pay so much for a lease. The same objections come from native title plus more. Then you have the department of biodiversity, the local shire etc, etc.
Just be prepared for a very long drawn out process. Good luck.

The application for a lease is simple enough....finding the ground that is worth pegging is the art. You do not need management agents or peggers to do the work....do it yourself and if you stuff it up then at least you will get an education. Pegging an SPL is only the first step and the majority fail...have a look at my youtube channel as I did a vid on SPL's a couple of months ago. Your smartest option is to try and deal with the company and work under a tribute agreement...but you need to understand what their concerns/expectations will be before you contact them. The tenements going for 20k are not worth 20k....but the value of anything is only what someone is willing to pay on any given day. I'm happy for you to contact me if needed.

Thanks for the information, it's definitely something I need to look at in the future..
I would be wanting to use machinery so probably be a bit of messing around with permits.

The permits are easy....depending on a few different things!...It will come down to the area and it's vegetation and the native title claimant group status over the area if there is one. Just work on the principle that everything and everyone is trying to send you broke and budget accordingly! Your welcome to send me an email if you get serious about the area and I can have a quick look into it....and no...I dont white ant people! Remember...dealing with the tenement holder is always your best option.

I had a look at some of your video....I assume you want to push that gully? From the pics I saw there is nothing there that would encourage me to mobilze machinary. Go to where you think the deepest section is and dig a hole...see what depth you can reach...if it's less than a couple of feet just work the thing with hand tools. Don't for get to pan the dirt to see if there is any grade in it. Also....go and see if you can find the leader....might be more profitable.

I had a look at some of your video....I assume you want to push that gully? From the pics I saw there is nothing there that would encourage me to mobilze machinary. Go to where you think the deepest section is and dig a hole...see what depth you can reach...if it's less than a couple of feet just work the thing with hand tools. Don't for get to pan the dirt to see if there is any grade in it. Also....go and see if you can find the leader....might be more profitable.
Hey Tony, Not sure what Video you watched, But its not the gold we found in the Gully.. Its the 6.5 ounce specimen patch video's I posted around May/June 21..
I am still keen to get some ground and take the next step. The ground Is now pending and has been for a while now, is it possible to Peg ground on a pending lease? Its a pending Exploration lease.
Cheers mate, I'm already Subscribed to your channel and try and take on as much Info onboard as you Dish out...Cheers old mate.

you can peg a lease but if the exploration lease has been done correctly then yours will fail. Check the paperwork...particularly if it's been done by an individual and make sure there is no mistakes. Assuming there wont be any...wait till it goes live...meet with the tenement holder and see if you can strike a tribute deal.

Hey Guys I'm new to the forum and have just introduced myself and my Youtube Channel if you want to put a face to the Idiot Typing.

I've Had one really good find this year and would love to take a small excavator down there and see what lies below.
We found 7 ounces of rich specimens confined to a very small area in a heavy worked old mining area.

When we found the Gold we had an E40 permit in place , but recently the ground changed hands and is a pending E40 with a Large Mining Company and I was too slow to do anything. As I believe the exploration lease needs to have been granted for 1 year before it can be pegged? I'm happy to wait if I have to.

I was Hoping at pegging a small lease on this area in the future and try my luck at some small scale mining as metal detecting is all I've done the last 12 years or so.

I've tried pegging a lease before, and went through the process online ,the lease was visible on tenegraph for a week or so but I must have made the mistake of pegging over 2 existing exploration leases and was asked to retract the application and lost some cash over it..no biggie.

What I would really like to know is are there any hidden costs to pegging a lease apart from the initial application fee and the yearly rent? I feel like I'm missing some information.
I always see people selling leases for 20k or such and I think why so expensive? when it doesn't seem that hard to peg a lease? I'm obviously missing some info here?
I have been over the mines department guidelines etc, But I would love to hear from Some of the more experienced miners/prospectors here about what to expect in general or just any tips or advice on costs etc...I'm still a young 40 so I don't have a huge amount of capital to invest, so just exercising some caution.
any help or advise is much appreciated guys.
Cheers 🍺 :Y:
Even pegging an SPL on a E that has been live for 12 months is no guarantee of success. Mining companies will often object as they may argue that the SPL would interfere with their activities. Wait til it goes live then negotiate with the holder.....

Even when you are pretty much aware of the rules that apply, there can be some hidden pitfalls in pegging a lease. I was sitting at the table tinkering with the computer when a friend knocked on the door. This was on the morning of 3rd February this year. He had spotted a vacant patch of crown land and wanted to peg it but need the appropriate paperwork. I printed it off and sent him on his way but he got me interested so I took a look at the patch and sure enough it was vacant crown land.

While I was perusing the leases around here another popped up. It had been a Prospecting lease and had been surrendered. I quickly did my research, it had several old mines and a couple of fault lines passing through the 148 Ha.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 192128.jpg

I wanted to quickly check its history so I accessed the DMIRS website and Mineral Titles Online. There I entered the dead tenement number and went to Dealings. That gave me the reason for the forfeiture a month earlier. I quickly typed out the coordinates and all necessary information on the correct form, grabbed a bundle of pegs and hit the ground a few minutes later.

Datum.jpg

There were footprints on the spot but no pegs as yet so I went ahead and hammed mine in and fastened my paperwork to the datum peg at precisely 11am on 3rd February 2023.

I shot straight home and entered my details into the DMIRS website, paid about $975 and applied for the tenement. My application was quickly accepted and within an hour I was the proud owner of a Pending prospecting lease. It was showing in my name on Tengraph, the DMIRS website.

That's always only the start of a long drawn out process but Mrs M and I have successfully pegged a few leases before so we know the procedures to follow. I had a POW application for another lease and more paperwork on this one so on the morning of the 6th we took a trip to the Mines Department in the neighboring town and got everything processed over the counter with the aid of the mining registrar. With all that in order we felt quite confident we were on the way to acquiring a new Prospecting lease, our biggest so far.

Unfortunately that was not the case. The following day I was visited by a friend who claimed he had prior pegging rights to this lease and two more that my friends had pegged. He had applied for the forfeiture of these three leases, as seen above, on the 3rd of January. It also states there that he has 14 days prior rights to peg. Now by my calculation his 14 days after the outright surrender and registration had well and truly run out by the 3rd of February when I pegged.

I made the phone call to DMIRS in Perth and was informed that if he hadn't pegged by that time then he'd missed the boat. I was quietly confident that all would work out but I slipped across to one of the friends who'd pegged another of the three leases and discussed it with him. He said that he'd been informed of the 14 days required after the forfeiture by the mining registrar when he registered his application. She didn't mention anything about it to me but then the 14 days had well and truly passed.

A couple of days back I was served with a objection to my pegging by a third party. He has claimed that I pegged the lease early, before the 14 day allowance for the original instigator of the forfeiture. Once again I phoned DMIRS in Perth, they couldn't make sense of it so transferred me to the mining registrar where I'd presented the paperwork in the first place. She'd now changed her tune stating that they had been slow processing the paperwork and the 14 day period only started once they had delivered a letter to the plaintiff who'd started the whole process. I told her about the date listed for the forfeiture and I wanted to see some sort of proof that the published date did not apply. She said that she couldn't give me anything but she would call Perth and get back to me. She didn't.

I spent too much time this morning working my way through the Mining Act and Mining Regulations and sure enough buried there in a small paragraph is the statement below.
Screenshot 2023-02-25 205138.jpg

So one week into my application I have a file a half inch thick, an objection, a couple of people have pegged over my ground and I'm out of pocket a bundle of money half of which I'll get back. The end result is that the whole thing has turned to 💩 so I may as well walk away and put it down to a bad experience.

This is all before we got to fight with Native Title, the department of environment and anybody else who wanted to have a crack 🥵

Even when you are pretty much aware of the rules that apply, there can be some hidden pitfalls in pegging a lease. I was sitting at the table tinkering with the computer when a friend knocked on the door. This was on the morning of 3rd February this year. He had spotted a vacant patch of crown land and wanted to peg it but need the appropriate paperwork. I printed it off and sent him on his way but he got me interested so I took a look at the patch and sure enough it was vacant crown land.

While I was perusing the leases around here another popped up. It had been a Prospecting lease and had been surrendered. I quickly did my research, it had several old mines and a couple of fault lines passing through the 148 Ha.

View attachment 8203

I wanted to quickly check its history so I accessed the DMIRS website and Mineral Titles Online. There I entered the dead tenement number and went to Dealings. That gave me the reason for the forfeiture a month earlier. I quickly typed out the coordinates and all necessary information on the correct form, grabbed a bundle of pegs and hit the ground a few minutes later.

View attachment 8204

There were footprints on the spot but no pegs as yet so I went ahead and hammed mine in and fastened my paperwork to the datum peg at precisely 11am on 3rd February 2023.

I shot straight home and entered my details into the DMIRS website, paid about $975 and applied for the tenement. My application was quickly accepted and within an hour I was the proud owner of a Pending prospecting lease. It was showing in my name on Tengraph, the DMIRS website.

That's always only the start of a long drawn out process but Mrs M and I have successfully pegged a few leases before so we know the procedures to follow. I had a POW application for another lease and more paperwork on this one so on the morning of the 6th we took a trip to the Mines Department in the neighboring town and got everything processed over the counter with the aid of the mining registrar. With all that in order we felt quite confident we were on the way to acquiring a new Prospecting lease, our biggest so far.

Unfortunately that was not the case. The following day I was visited by a friend who claimed he had prior pegging rights to this lease and two more that my friends had pegged. He had applied for the forfeiture of these three leases, as seen above, on the 3rd of January. It also states there that he has 14 days prior rights to peg. Now by my calculation his 14 days after the outright surrender and registration had well and truly run out by the 3rd of February when I pegged.

I made the phone call to DMIRS in Perth and was informed that if he hadn't pegged by that time then he'd missed the boat. I was quietly confident that all would work out but I slipped across to one of the friends who'd pegged another of the three leases and discussed it with him. He said that he'd been informed of the 14 days required after the forfeiture by the mining registrar when he registered his application. She didn't mention anything about it to me but then the 14 days had well and truly passed.

A couple of days back I was served with a objection to my pegging by a third party. He has claimed that I pegged the lease early, before the 14 day allowance for the original instigator of the forfeiture. Once again I phoned DMIRS in Perth, they couldn't make sense of it so transferred me to the mining registrar where I'd presented the paperwork in the first place. She'd now changed her tune stating that they had been slow processing the paperwork and the 14 day period only started once they had delivered a letter to the plaintiff who'd started the whole process. I told her about the date listed for the forfeiture and I wanted to see some sort of proof that the published date did not apply. She said that she couldn't give me anything but she would call Perth and get back to me. She didn't.

I spent too much time this morning working my way through the Mining Act and Mining Regulations and sure enough buried there in a small paragraph is the statement below.
View attachment 8205

So one week into my application I have a file a half inch thick, an objection, a couple of people have pegged over my ground and I'm out of pocket a bundle of money half of which I'll get back. The end result is that the whole thing has turned to 💩 so I may as well walk away and put it down to a bad experience.

This is all before we got to fight with Native Title, the department of environment and anybody else who wanted to have a crack 🥵
I like the idea of mining a small lease but the paperwork and dealing with red tape worries me more than the actual mining part though. Sounds like a nightmare.

A lot of people use an agent and that's what the guy who brought about the forfeit does. It avoids a lot of hassles but also adds a lot of cost to obtaining a lease. The whole process can go on for a year or more as you see with the time a Pending lease remains there before coming live. During that period every man and his dog is out there digging up gold.

That is why you don't usually peg a PL or SPL until you have cleared out all the detectable gold that you can find.
Then you only peg if you are confident that you can get more using machinery.
Spot on with this. Go over the ground many times until you are completely satisfied that you have gotten all the gold before you peg it.

Make sure you work the area you want to peg an SPL intenslely, as soon as an SPL is applied for you get every muppet get a 40E and hit it, think what could be down more than 500mm and is it worth pursuing? If its deep ground maybe, but when I scrape its rare to get past even 200mm at times to the calcrete or caprock, do your research and it might pay to work if you want a lease, remember you need to pay rates and rent, an SPL is cheap but you need a solid case to get one, do much research, much, much research and you may win, good luck but dont be offput of the legal stuff it could pay off in the end if you have a solid case and you are sure the ground is worthwhile.

Latest posts